Thread: PGM motherboard not holding saves.

The island of shielas, wogs and poofters.

PGM motherboard not holding saves.

A bit of an annoying problem hopefully someone can help me fix.

I have a pgm mobo which has had the battery replaced with a flat cell cr2032 battery. Lately i have noticed that my highscores are no longer saving. First thing i did was replace the battery but that doesn't seem to fix it.

I have tried resetting the mobo and have done the ram check which came back fine but still no good. Oddly i have noticed my mobo doesnt have the toggle switch to clear the nvram but im not sure if that would help anyway.

???

This is the battery. Could what looks like corrosion on the trace under the battery be an issue?

photo.JPG
    Last edited by theMot; 07-13-2014 at 12:59 AM.

JammaNationX

You need to put the diode back in. I think it's D2, I forgot to update the tutorial on the website about it. I think it was Michele and I thought the charging circuit was like the Neo so I removed D2 but for some reason the PGM circuit has it directed in a weird way to which D2 needs to be installed and the mod done differently.

I have to look into it again. From what I remember it only affects certain games.

Sometimes it seems to hold the save for a few days then it drops it. Does that sound like the diode problem or if its that would it just not save at all?

photo-2.JPG

That is a pic of the the whole mobo. As you can see the diode at D2 is still there. :/

Maxima's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    You need to put the diode back in. I think it's D2, I forgot to update the tutorial on the website about it. I think it was Michele and I thought the charging circuit was like the Neo so I removed D2 but for some reason the PGM circuit has it directed in a weird way to which D2 needs to be installed and the mod done differently.

I have to look into it again. From what I remember it only affects certain games.
    So is the only difference from your tutorial that D2 can stay in place for a successful cr2032 setup on PGM?

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Shoulda saved the diode. I think I tossed it. :/

Maxima's Barber

Well, I saw another guide or two that left out removing the diode/resistor and simply soldered the cr2032 battery holder into place. I decided to do the same and picked up a battery holder from Radio Shack for $1.25. Fortunately it fits perfectly without any modification.

0Ica6HD.jpg

I tested it out by playing a few sessions of Demon Front, then left the system off for a while. I turned it back on and my high score saves were still there, wooot! I'll try it out on some other games and will report any issues I find (if any).

Rasputin's Rose Gardener

Quote Originally Posted by kuze View Post
    Well, I saw another guide or two that left out removing the diode/resistor and simply soldered the cr2032 battery holder into place. I decided to do the same and picked up a battery holder from Radio Shack for $1.25. Fortunately it fits perfectly without any modification.

0Ica6HD.jpg

I tested it out by playing a few sessions of Demon Front, then left the system off for a while. I turned it back on and my high score saves were still there, wooot! I'll try it out on some other games and will report any issues I find (if any).
    Wonder if there is a charging circuit.

Maxima's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSlug View Post
    Wonder if there is a charging circuit.
    Me too, the info out there is pretty scarce for PGM.

Edit: If it does, a ML2032 (rechargeable) coin battery should be perfect.
    Last edited by kuze; 01-11-2015 at 05:31 PM.

JammaNationX

Either way you need to remove the resistor as you don't want any power going to the non-rechargeable battery unless you want it to explode all over the board. If you can get a rechargeable one then even better, just leave the resistor in.

Maxima's Barber

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    Either way you need to remove the resistor as you don't want any power going to the non-rechargeable battery unless you want it to explode all over the board. If you can get a rechargeable one then even better, just leave the resistor in.
    Well, a ML2032 it is. Thanks for the confirmation.

Another Striker

so if I plan to use a rechargeable I dont have to remove any existing circuitry, can you use any other battery like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-3-6V-L...item5d537dc239

lir2032 but says it 3.6v where a ML2032 says its 3v

Thread Information