ps3 fight stick recommendations

games91999

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Not sure if right area to post but I am deciding on what fight stick to get for my ps3. I'm currently deciding between Hori Fighting Edge, Qanba Q4, and Street Fighter x Tekken MadcatZ , or MvC2 Tournament Stick MadcatZ.

Any other suggestions as well.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I always look for a stick that will easily accept replacement parts or upgrades. All the ones you named come equipped with sanwa already I believe. If you are on a budget consider the qanba q1, its not bad stock and probably the cheapest stick you can just drop sanwa parts into without heavy modification later down the road.

If you're a sony fanboy and want a stick for your ps4, madcatz is producing an USF4 TE2 stick that toggles between ps3 and ps4. It's supposed to be released in august with ultra in japan.
http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2014/jun/07/usf4-te2-playstation-02/

I personally love the qanba stuff second only to the sticks I make myself ;P

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
honestly man, as a starter stick, i vote go for whatever.
it doesn't particularly matter until you start to get used to using a stick, and even then most sticks released anymore will readily accept an improvement in parts.

never used qanba, but i like madcatz and hori stuff about the same, though i tend to mod stuff before i spend too much time with it.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
If you don't mind paying i would go with the Hori Fighting Edge, i have one and the design and function is awesome i also had the Madcatz SFxT stick and it's a good stick but the Hori looks better and better buttons and joystick, the buttons are much more silent too. If you have a PS4 or planning to get one i would just get the Madcatz TE2 that's coming out soon that's works with both systems.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Sticks are almost all exactly the same parts. Get whatever one doesn't have problems with the PC. Some PS3 sticks are noted for this.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Ive had lots of different sticks over the years HORI, Mad catz, some generic shit lol. my vote is for the qanba, i have a qraf myself and its easily the best stick ive ever owned

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
06.jpg

I'm sorry, I saw this in your sig and now I have no idea what this thread is about.

Cyclops

Mr. Big's Thug
If you plan on getting a PS4 sometime down the line, wait for the HORI Real Arcade Pro V4 Hayabusa or the Madcatz Ultra Street Fighter IV TE2. Both of those will have both PS3 and PS4 compatibility.

06.jpg

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
honestly man, as a starter stick, i vote go for whatever.
it doesn't particularly matter until you start to get used to using a stick, and even then most sticks released anymore will readily accept an improvement in parts.

never used qanba, but i like madcatz and hori stuff about the same, though i tend to mod stuff before i spend too much time with it.

I completely disagree. My starter stick was straight trash. Waste of money.

31UbjWxrInL.jpg

Luckily now a days there is a plethora of great starter sticks to choose from. My first REAL arcade stick was coincidentally the Hori Real Arcade Pro 3. Great starter stick. Stock parts are fine and easy to swap in and out buttons and joystick.

I've never used a Qanba nor the fighting edge so cant speak for those, but my two personal favorite sticks at the moment for fighting games are the HRAP V3 SA and the SF4 Madcatz TE RD2. Both should be easy to come by, very comfortable and easy to mod.

For shmups I like smaller arcade sticks like the Madcatz SE and the Agetec Green Goblin.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Ive had lots of different sticks over the years HORI, Mad catz, some generic shit lol. my vote is for the qanba, i have a qraf myself and its easily the best stick ive ever owned

Agreed. My PS3/360 stick is a Quanba Q4 RAF with all Seimitsu buttons and an LS32 stick and it plays great. Super sturdy too, not a light piece of shit you'll be knocking around. Also works on PC.

shiryu7

Quiz Detective
If you don't plan on modding at all, you might want to consider the button layout. I personally prefer the Noir layout, so between the ones you've listed I'd pick the Fighting Edge.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Not sure if right area to post but I am deciding on what fight stick to get for my ps3. I'm currently deciding between Hori Fighting Edge, Qanba Q4, and Street Fighter x Tekken MadcatZ , or MvC2 Tournament Stick MadcatZ.

Any other suggestions as well.

One thing you need to take into consideration is whether at some point you intend to mod the stick to DB15 for Neo Geo or to use with various padhacks. In that respect something like a Madcatz stick will be more convinient than say a Hori stick since it has common ground. Some sticks also aid modding in that you do not need a soldering iron and can get away with tucking the cables under quick disconnects.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
In that respect something like a Madcatz stick will be more convinient than say a Hori stick since it has common ground.

All PS3 Hori sticks are common ground. The only Hori sticks that are not common ground are the HRAP EX and HRAP EX Tekken 6 Edition, both of which are for Xbox 360.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
All PS3 Hori sticks are common ground. The only Hori sticks that are not common ground are the HRAP EX and HRAP EX Tekken 6 Edition, both of which are for Xbox 360.

My mistake then, thanks for the correction.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
One thing you need to take into consideration is whether at some point you intend to mod the stick to DB15 for Neo Geo or to use with various padhacks. In that respect something like a Madcatz stick will be more convinient than say a Hori stick since it has common ground. Some sticks also aid modding in that you do not need a soldering iron and can get away with tucking the cables under quick disconnects.

A DB15 Neo Geo mod is easy to accomplish on just about any stick. Don't worry about that. I even did one to a Qanba with no soldering, and Hori and Matcatz are just as simple.

As others said, what is your budget? That's basically the main deciding factor. I own/have owned nearly every arcade stick made for 360/PS3, and those I haven't owned, I've used. I'm also an arcade stick modder.
Do you prefer a wide stick? Heavy vs light? One that won't shift around on your lap? One that won't shift around on a table?

Hori PCBs have been the most reliable that I've dealt with. I've had to replace Qanba, MadCatz, and Paewang/Joytron ones before.
If you are comfortable with electronics, there is also the make your own route with boards such as Toodles's MC Cthulhu. Added bonus is that it works with a lot of older systems as well.