How do you feel about looking up strategies/watching videos etc.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Recently ive been watching alot of world heroes 2 jet and breakers revenge matches. Those two games are so frkn fun. Luckily i have acouple of friends that come by and we scrub out on those games. I own them all at magical drop 3 though. lol
I really wish i could find more ppl locally to play these neo geo fighters. Gets boring fast playing against the computer.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
GGPO/Supercade are good places to find players in those. Breakers is really big on GGPO.

kof1996

n00b
I think that any information you learn prior to playing the game isn't cheating, but save states defiantly are.:shame:

spoonz

Quiz Detective
For certain genres (RTS, fighting games) I think it's important to keep abreast of the latest tech to keep your competitive edge. Even as far back as the mid 90s I would be looking for ways constantly to get information for the fighting games I played and it was pretty difficult back then to get any sort of info outside of magazine tips which were for the most part useless. Also adding to the fact that I live in the Caribbean and the internet was very expensive with poor speeds to boot. I got internet access at home around 2003 and made good use of it downloading match videos from GoForBrokeHub (shoutouts if you remember this) which would take days on 56k at times but was well worth it.

Course this also goes with the fact that Famitsu was getting kickbacks for high scores for games. And they also were involved in the production of the strategy guide. Go figure.

Man playing Alex Kidd in Miracle World back in the day was about impossible for some parts as you didn't know what the boss was going to do during the Janken matches. And don't even get me started about Wonderboy in Monsterland, that game had as many secrets as Milon's Secret Castle.

This. For sure. Milon's Secret Castle was a checklist of secret handshakes. Castlevania 2 was made the same way to a lesser extent. When it becomes a requirement that you reproduce exact scenarios from guides to even get by in a game, it is no longer fun for me personally. I'm all about the shortcuts then. However, in a game like super metroid, I can get by without 100% just on exploration. To me, looking up walkthroughs for that type of game cheapens the overall experience because it's unneeded.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
When I went to Iran in 2013, I brought my 3DS with me. I had Links Awakening on my 3DS and this was a game I had never played before.

I was in a village with no internet connection for most of my stay there so the game took me a good 60 hours to beat. I got stuck on so many occasions but I felt so satisfied whenever I managed to advance. Beating the game without any outside help brought back that good old feeling id get for beating a game back when I was a kid.

Now I feel that using the internet spoils the whole fun of the game and makes us appreciate the games less.

XeroShinobi

Rugal's Thug
It really depends on the genre.. Looking up stuff in a puzzle platformer or adventure game kind of defeats the purpose of playing it. Looking at guides and combo videos for a fighter is expected, though. Virtually nobody gets really good at a fighting game "blind", so to speak.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Rpgs or anything puzzle related or story driven ill just go nose to the grindstone no looking anything up, ill be stubborn about it too. I realize these days there's few people like that. I like to watch videos and strategies on games like starcraft or war3. Competitive online multiplayer To stay competitive And in line with the meta. But when im retro i run a no cheat no hint policy for myself.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
For RPGs, I'd still look for very obscure drops or encounters. I'd have never even learned of the Adamant Armor in Final Fantasy 2 if I hadn't look that up, even after more than a decade of playing it.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
For RPGs, I'd still look for very obscure drops or encounters. I'd have never even learned of the Adamant Armor in Final Fantasy 2 if I hadn't look that up, even after more than a decade of playing it.

Wait what??? Ive beat the game half a dozen times and never heard of that armor lol. Now you got me curious. I agree though after completing the game legit then looking things up is not an issue. In fact it sometimes gets you some extra quality playtime out of your purchase

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
When I went to Iran in 2013, I brought my 3DS with me. I had Links Awakening on my 3DS and this was a game I had never played before.

I was in a village with no internet connection for most of my stay there so the game took me a good 60 hours to beat. I got stuck on so many occasions but I felt so satisfied whenever I managed to advance. Beating the game without any outside help brought back that good old feeling id get for beating a game back when I was a kid.

Now I feel that using the internet spoils the whole fun of the game and makes us appreciate the games less.

Heh, that's a good story. I started playing Links Awakening several times when I was younger but got stuck so often (and I think I had done some glitch with the keys) that it was super frustrating for me. I came back to it as an adult a couple years ago and enjoyed it, but there are definitely some sticky spots there I would have possibly broken my GB over without a FAQ.

If I've been stuck on one part of an ingame puzzle something for more than like 30 minutes with no idea what to do I will use a FAQ, but normally I try and slog through it. Some games though, that discovery of what you are supposed to do is the best part. Zack and Wiki is a game that I probably would have enjoyed much much less if I cheated on it, because all the solutions were so cool.

PublicEnemy

Cheng's Errand Boy
I will only look up a part of a game that I need help on. I don't watch the let plays, I would actuay like to play the game.

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
For rpg's I still love using old school walk through on gamefaq, remind me of the good old days. For platformers I love watching speed runs to pick up some tricks of the trade.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I grew up playing "Nintendo Hard" NES games and things like King's Quest before the internet, so I'm definitely "old school" when it comes to things like strategy guides.

But... a big part of playing those hard games was getting help from friends who had played, or checking out Nintendo Power or other magazines with tips and tricks. So even with an outlook of "toughing it out" on my own, I've always seen games as existing in an environment where outside help is available.

These days, I use the same mindset when playing modern or classic games, I play until I feel stuck, then seek out help. Only you can judge what your tolerance for being stuck is, so what you will endure before seeking help will vary.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
For adventures I almost never look up something, unless it is one of those with very unlogical puzzles or "move the mouse over the whole screen to find a 1 Pixel object" (indy 3 tape...)
For fighters I don't mind looking up things and watching strategies.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
For adventures I almost never look up something, unless it is one of those with very unlogical puzzles or "move the mouse over the whole screen to find a 1 Pixel object" (indy 3 tape...)
For fighters I don't mind looking up things and watching strategies.

Broken Sword 1 and stumped me once in a while 2. Mostly since I played them on PSP.

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I watch matches also, very fun to do if I'm bored at work. I understand when you say you feel "lonely" playing only against the computer. My friends only play new gen stuff.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I avoid any kind of guide until I am completely stuck and feel like I have no other option. It's usually something obvious that I just missed and then I can carry on. I only do this to avoid ruining the game, so that I can carry on.

I had it recently with A Link Between Worlds. I walked around and around the map for ages, not knowing what to do or where to go, and when I looked at a guide it was just a wall I had missed that I could merge with and cross a gap. If I hadn't looked at the guide I might have put the game down and never continued with it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I usually start on my own and go at it until I beat the game, if I run into a wall that I cannot possibly get through I'd look it up and see some game footage about it. Not a fan of savestates at less they're my own, I dunno why, I just don't feel good running on someone else's footsteps. Once I beat a game I like to go for it again and again in order to get a good feel for the game and play it better each time. I don't like to use continues but I know some games are not meant to be played that way (save spots), but I always aim for the 1CC speed run, if I can't manage that I'd look up an all clear video and watch how it's done and then proceed to do my thing after learning the tricks shown. I love how far we've come with this and now you can get all kinds of youtube plays and strats on the fly, being a gamer of the past keeps getting better and better. Now we have access to everything, hardware, software, make your own shit, emulation, you name it we have it.

BTD

Armored Scrum Object
Certain games require a guide and cannot be completed without one. Before you think otherwise I have one thing to say...

Simon's Quest

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
There's plenty worse than that. Milon's Secret Castle is no picnic, and Atlantis no Nazo and Takeshi no Chousenjou might as well be impossible.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
One thing I had to use a wiki for was how the crafting system in Dark Souls works. There's no explanation in the game.