Vampire Chonicles

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Any good? I like the series but is it a good installment or the end all?

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Are you talking about the Darkstarkers game on PSN and XBL or the Dreamcast game? Both are worth the money if you are a Darkstarkers/Vampire fan. The best is the Vampire Collection for the Jap PS2 though.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Any good? I like the series but is it a good installment or the end all?
This is one of those anomalies that I've never happened across a definitive answer for.

Theoretically, this IS the best version, as it allows you to use different iterations of your characters from the different releases of the game (of which, there are 5, I believe).

However, people seemingly only ever talk about how great the original Vampire Saviour is and overlook Chronicle.

There must be a reason why, but I have no idea what it is (probably some tournament based balance broken bullshit etc).

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I'm talking about the DC, I like Savior on Sat/arcade

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Saturn Vampire Savior is my favorite because of the unlock able EX options, and the fact that the Vampire Savior 2 characters are included.

I need to run both Saturn & CPS2 Savior side by side to see if there are any gfx &/or input differences.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Saturn Vampire Savior is my favorite because of the unlock able EX options, and the fact that the Vampire Savior 2 characters are included.

I need to run both Saturn & CPS2 Savior side by side to see if there are any gfx &/or input differences.

That'd be a fun test

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Are you talking about the Darkstarkers game on PSN and XBL or the Dreamcast game? Both are worth the money if you are a Darkstarkers/Vampire fan. The best is the Vampire Collection for the Jap PS2 though.

Why is the Jap PS2 the best?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
As an owner of the JP PS2 collection and former owner of Saturn Vampire Savior... I must say Vampire Savior is best.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
As an owner of the JP PS2 collection and former owner of Saturn Vampire Savior... I must say Vampire Savior is best.

Even w/ the Saturn EX option of 240pRGB out, and the sometimes dodgy PS2 gfx filters (see: ESPGaluda).

Not trolling-plz hip us, as to why PS2 rev is the best.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
I think his post is saying Saturn is best. Some folks prefer Hunter or Hunter 2. VH on Saturn is great!

GENOCIDE CUTTER '94

Ukyo's Doctor
Ok, I'm going to be going from memory as it's been years since I played it so sorry for the vagueness.

I recall it was a solid release with nothing noticeably 'wrong' as such (I've heard the negative comments too, also with poor justification).

However, it wasn't a continuation of the series but more like a mashup of previous installments. Think along the lines of arcade Vampire Saviour 2(?) with a slightly different roster(?) and you're on the right track.

It was a total pain playing on the dc pad though.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Ok, I'm going to be going from memory as it's been years since I played it so sorry for the vagueness.

I recall it was a solid release with nothing noticeably 'wrong' as such (I've heard the negative comments too, also with poor justification).

However, it wasn't a continuation of the series but more like a mashup of previous installments. Think along the lines of arcade Vampire Saviour 2(?) with a slightly different roster(?) and you're on the right track.

It was a total pain playing on the dc pad though.

that is what the arcade sticks are for!

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager

Yeah, it was like a Hyper Vampire Saviour, essentially. Think Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary Edition, but the Darkstalkers/Vampire Saviour version instead...

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Even w/ the Saturn EX option of 240pRGB out, and the sometimes dodgy PS2 gfx filters (see: ESPGaluda).

Not trolling-plz hip us, as to why PS2 rev is the best.

I said Vampire Savior. Which is the Saturn one.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
My bad. I fully accept responsibility for goofing the naming conventions in this series, lol.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
The only two worth while games in the series for serious play is Vampire Hunter aka Night Warriors Darkstalkers Revenge and Vampire Savior.

It is analogous to Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting vs Super Street fighter II Turbo.

Vampire Chronicles is cool though with the added content such as playing as Dee.

If you want to know what versions to avoid, just read near the bottom of this wiki. It gives quite the explanation on why.

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Vampire_Savior/FAQ

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
My bad. I fully accept responsibility for goofing the naming conventions in this series, lol.

Hey no problem bro, your heart was in the right place... because Vampire Savior > all

:)

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
The only two worth while games in the series for serious play is Vampire Hunter aka Night Warriors Darkstalkers Revenge and Vampire Savior.

It is analogous to Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting vs Super Street fighter II Turbo.

Vampire Chronicles is cool though with the added content such as playing as Dee.

If you want to know what versions to avoid, just read near the bottom of this wiki. It gives quite the explanation on why.

Good read. Had no idea Vampire Savior for the Sega Saturn wasn't arcade perfect. Always thought it was basically considered the best version.

I have just about every Darkstalkers release and i'm always curious as to what differences each one has on a technical level.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Did not know that. I never had the opportunity to play Darkstalkers in an arcade, as none in my area had one. I was always told the Saturn version was the best, and after playing it a lot then playing other versions like the PS2 and PSP versions I had no reason to think otherwise.

Looks like you have to enable a secret menu option to make the PS2 version accurate to the arcade, which I also did not know about.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member

Thanks for posting this, most interesting.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
This was a very interesting read but now i have the urge to go get a Vampire Savior CPS2 B-board lol.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
If I bought this for PS3 today with the sole intention of playing online would I get my $15 worth? Or would there only be empty rooms?