Metal Slug 3

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
Got this off ebay, hasnt shipped yet, but noticed something different from the MVS Scans. So everything matches board set 1 on MVS Scans, except the fact the chips are labeled Toshiba (which is usually a good sign) on the board vs the scan for the top board on MVS Scans where they are just labeled with the 256 number. Is this maybe a repair or did they just start using new chips over time? THey almost match set 2 on the scan site, but set 2 has a daughter board on it.

PIC off Ebay
$_57.JPG

PIC off MVS
http://mvs-scans.com/images/3/38/Metal_slug_3_set1_b1_front.jpg

PIC OF Top board out of Set 2
http://mvs-scans.com/images/9/91/Metal_slug_3_set2_b1_front.jpg

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
So is it just a change of chips over time or something? I almost through it was 2 sets of boards mixed.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
So is it just a change of chips over time or something? I almost through it was 2 sets of boards mixed.

It could have been Toshiba started labeling their chips differently. It could have been SNK using different chips. But this is definitely legit.

Not to mention that MS3 is extremely common, so no real reason to boot it anyways.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
It could have been Toshiba started labeling their chips differently. It could have been SNK using different chips. But this is definitely legit.

Not to mention that MS3 is extremely common, so no real reason to boot it anyways.

Yeah I was thinking why boot it, but you never know, I have a puzzle bobble boot sitting here and it was super common ahha.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The Set 1 PROGLBA you linked to is legit, all the boards linked to are legit. SNK might have just went with some cheaper Mask ROM manufacturer instead of Toshiba for some games. Either way, as long as you don't see windowed EPROMs, one time programmable EPROMs or flash chips on adapters, you're fine.

Also, keep in mind Metal Slug 3 uses 64Mbit chips for the C ROMs. You can only get EPROMs as big as 32Mbit, so that game isn't particularly easy to bootleg.

Why would it be bootlegged? Every Neo Geo game after 1998 is available in bootleg form, including Slug 3.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I've had a Slug 3 boot before, it had custom boards. This one looks legit, mask roms, SNK board.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
If you bought this off eBay from xklr8abc it is legit he never sells boots. And as all have said its a legit cart

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
If you bought this off eBay from xklr8abc it is legit he never sells boots. And as all have said its a legit cart

Sweet thanks guys, I usually only check if something doesn't match mvs scans so it's nice to get confirmation.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
legit

Most of the MS3 carts I've come across did not have the daughter board and had all mask roms

As others have said, not all roms have a brand like Toshiba, but provided you can see the NGH # and it matches Master List/MVS-Scans, it will be legit

In that pic you can see 256 and checking Master List, that's Metal Slug 3

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Congrats! best Metal Slug there is. Craig and I just recently did a playthrough when he got his.