Guess what? SNK releasing new KOF Rhythm game! Get your smartphones ready....

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I am starting to like the game a bit more now, Won my first arcade match after about 15 attempts but still not really sure how to play it yet.
I do like the options music too, its quite catchy.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
It's all about timed button presses and swipes. Just tap when following the beat anywhere on the screen and when the little green loops are fully inside of the circles, and you'll get the hang of it. I'd recommend redoing the tutorials.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I picked this up yesterday.

It's well worth the buck. I'll probably buy all of the DLC packs once I exhaust the content available from the initial purchase, as long as the game can hold my interest. I did buy Terry Bogard, though.

It's a rhythm game designed in the same vein as Final Fantasy: Theatrhythm, but without some of the more advanced subsystems and RPing elements of FF: Th. It has some similar RP elements, such as leveling up to do more 'damage' to the enemy and also equipping support characters that provide various buffs based on the build you want to go with. So it's not SOLELY a screen tapper-there are some things in there to engage the munchkin side of your brain.

It's not nearly as robust a FF: Th and, in all honesty, ROF seems to have been made on the cheap, but as long as the game's fun that doesn't matter.

They've sourced music from a lot of SNK's past, not just KOF. I even played a stage with music from Cool Cool Toon.

Again, it feels like the SNK version of FF: Th. And, as I said, it's well worth a buck.

Lee Gray

Some of the tunes are neat and what I want to know is can you hear all of the tune without having to play the tap game.
For example when i go to the stage select screen and it plays a 15 second sample of the music on a repeat cycle but if you unlock the easy normal and hard padlocks can you thrn hear the whole version or only in game ?

Fygee

20 Year Member
Some of the tunes are neat and what I want to know is can you hear all of the tune without having to play the tap game.
For example when i go to the stage select screen and it plays a 15 second sample of the music on a repeat cycle but if you unlock the easy normal and hard padlocks can you thrn hear the whole version or only in game ?

That's not a feature yet as far as I know. I looked because I'm interested in it too.

Someone posted some Youtube rips of the songs, but unfortunately due to the compressed and lossy nature of the source files, they don't sound too great on their own.

I'd love for SNKP to release a proper (digital?) soundtrack of the game with full length versions of the new arrangements.

Lee Gray

Yeah some of the tunes are top notch, I was listening to the options tune for ages earlier too.

Getting use to the game now and up to level 13 however every time I play the Esaka level the phone freezes and closes off the game, doesnt happen on any other level.

Lee Gray

As i did a bit overtime this month I treated myself to 2 in app packs, the fatal fury 2 music and the pack that has G-Mantle in it and although you cant clear stages if using him which almost makes him pointless, you can sit back and just listen to the whole theme if you turn of hit sound effects which is one way of just enjoying the music......hope they release Mai as a Character.

Also if u sit in the shop for about a minute a dance style version of the Neo Geo start up intro is played.

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
If the game ever crashes, I'd recommend redownloading the game data. At launch the game had issues with properly downloading it and it caused crashes due to the data being corrupt. You can do so from the Options menu.

Lee Gray

Update: completed the game..
Been a fun challenge!

Attachments

• congratulations.jpg
    congratulations.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 204
  • toppp.jpg
    toppp.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Lee Gray

Looks like 2 more music packs will be released shortly. Kof 97 and metal slug defence.

Would be good if they put a few more free ones in there from time to time or new challenges like with metal slug defense to keep it fresh.

Last edited:

Fygee

20 Year Member
Looks like 2 more music packs will be released shortly. Kof 97 and metal slug defence.

Would be good if they put a few more free ones in there from time to time or new challenges like with metal slug defense to keep it fresh.

I really hope they do as well. I'm sure they will periodically.

Personally I think if the music packs were priced at a buck a piece, I would have no problem buying every one of them. At $3 its a little too pricey.

Chef McM

n00b
I love me some rhythm games so I'm excited to check this out. I didn't realize it had released since it is an iPhone game, and I was searching for it on an iPad with the filter inadvertently sent to "iPad only." I'm going to give it a shot tonight, so I'll post back with some impressions later.

Lee Gray

i have been playing it virtually non stop for the last month now, much more addictive than I was expecting in trying to improve my scores

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
i have been playing it virtually non stop for the last month now, much more addictive than I was expecting in trying to improve my scores

Lol hi Lee Gray. You probably know so this is, and if you don't let's just say I'm a Chris Benoit fan. xD

Big Al

Rugal's Thug
I have to say, I wasn't expecting to like this much but I gave it a try because of all the feedback in this thread and it's great! Thanks guys. Something to play on the toilet 8)

Fygee

20 Year Member
The game is now free on Android. For those who spent a dollar on it prior, you'll be getting five exclusive tracks with the update provided you have a save file from the older version.

Lee Gray

Its a pretty neat game plus so many cool arranged tracks you Can just listen to. I use to hate rhythm games but doing pretty well on this.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Just downloaded and played the first couple of levels. Kind of interesting I guess. Seems like the difficulty is gonna a bitch later on and the in app purchases are already getting annoying.

Also would probably have been a better fit for Vita or 3DS because of buttons. My hands obscuring the screen in a game that requires visual directions is not a good thing.

Lee Gray

there was 2 stages on course 9 and 10 where you had to get 310 out of 330 hits and 100 hits in a row which at first were a real pain in the arse, but once you played the game for a couple of weeks and use to it, even the hardest stages are pretty easy.

I sometimes wish i played it on a tablet due to sometimes obscurring the screen on my nexus 5 but its only on the bottom left hand corner.