Pre-Boot scouting: a craigslist knife dodging adventure

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Hello everyone. I have been in the process of making a deal with someone over craigslist for the past week or so, and the meeting is tomorrow. I have discussed this with skinny, but there is a fair chance that the current owner of the carts in question is a bumbling scrub or that the carts are known boots and the seller is trying to foist them off; he was all sketched out about opening them up for me. The carts themselves look to have replacement labels and are in clear cases. What do you guys think: can I get a close enough look at the top board of the carts to judge them?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Take a screwdriver, open them up. Bootleggery is pretty obvious. If he doesn't want you to open them tell him where to stick the screwdriver.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
The guy is saying "why open them whey they have clear cases?", reason being you want to inspect the boards front and back. Look for burnt traces. Consult the MVS scans, but dont take them as gospel. While there is a lot of information there its not complete! If you feel sketch, snap some pictures and post here! If everything is legit and you want to off the other two let me know! Side business is picking up and that means more games!

Edit: sorry i didnt pm you back. Busy weekend of installing new ignition overlay harness in the 01 jetta and fixing 2 or 3 computers on top of doing a 1.5k walk with the baby and dog!

Last edited:

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
The main reason I made this thread was the sellers reluctance to let me open the carts. Huge red flag. He sent me a picture of the strikers cart just now, check this out.

wFYeN6S.jpg

No sweat by the way, skinny. I was working all weekend as well.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Chips are not big through-hole Toshiba or Sharp chips. Also, MX chips are a bad sign. Upper right seems to have an EPROM. To make it worse, does not match the pictures on mvs-scans. The cart on the photo is a boot.

Regards.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I figured as much and told the seller. I don't think he was especially pleased.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
SMT chips scream BOOT
Don't waste your time.
BB

Bean_Bandit

New Challenger
Those have been posted for like, three months now. If they were legit, I would have already bought them.
Also, what's up PDX cousin?

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Ahh, another northwesterner! I am glad to see there are a good amount of us around. I should have figured that between one of us they would have been bought if they were real. Skinny didn't contact the guy, did you? He wanted me to drive to some hell hole east of oregon city.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Think they guy would get pissed if I offered him $40 for the set and linked this thread to it? :D the vault is hungry for bootlegs!

I did not contact him. I got no problem rolling to a bad neighborhood in oregon city, will even drive my car with drug dealer tint on it!

EDIT:There is also a guy on craigslist from time to time selling arcade stuff and I have been meaning to get up there and check out what he has. Not sure if he is a member here. see if I can find a add of his. Ah here we go. Guys name is Dustin also and seems to have some pretty sweet stuff. Wish I could pick up the pin from him....

Last edited:

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
You may as well take a shot at asking the guy, maybe don't start off with "heard you got that booty bullshit, feed the vault." At least the samsho cart might be real. Btw, have you two heard of the portland arcade expo thing?

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
I've heard of the retro gaming expo if that's what your talking about. If it is, buy pre entry and get your business done before the hoard comes in, the smells of a million nerds is unfathomable.

Bean_Bandit

New Challenger
Think they guy would get pissed if I offered him $40 for the set and linked this thread to it? :D the vault is hungry for bootlegs!

I did not contact him. I got no problem rolling to a bad neighborhood in oregon city, will even drive my car with drug dealer tint on it!

EDIT:There is also a guy on craigslist from time to time selling arcade stuff and I have been meaning to get up there and check out what he has. Not sure if he is a member here. see if I can find a add of his. Ah here we go. Guys name is Dustin also and seems to have some pretty sweet stuff. Wish I could pick up the pin from him....

Dustin has a bad reputation with the arcade folks in Portland because he sells his "refurbished" cabs with frayed wiring that will burn your house down... among other things. Sometimes he has alright stuff, though, but prices are on the high side.

Portland Retro Gaming Expo is legit. I usually loan a few of my cabs to their arcade every year. They usually give you a free pass if you loan a cab, or volunteer for the weekend.

Last edited:

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Oh cool, so it sounds like at least a few of us might make it. I was going to offer to help out a local merchant here in exchange for a pass in. When it gets closer to the date I will update the stillborn northwest meetup thread if possible.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Dustin has a bad reputation with the arcade folks in Portland because he sells his "refurbished" cabs with frayed wiring that will burn your house down... among other things. Sometimes he has alright stuff, though, but prices are on the high side.

Portland Retro Gaming Expo is legit. I usually loan a few of my cabs to their arcade every year. They usually give you a free pass if you loan a cab, or volunteer for the weekend.

Good to know. I also work under the guidelines of "trust but verify". I have no problem telling you how it is and what I feel it's worth. If that's cool we can make a deal. If not no harm. If you wanna get pissy then to right ahead lol.