Another Big Red Resto Thread!

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Here's the skinny:

I got my sexy Big Red 2 weeks ago. I was, admittedly, a little torn as to whether or not I should even go through with a restoration as there wasn't a whole lot 'wrong' with it. After playing a few rounds of SSIII though, I started to get nit picky.

I'm a little [k, a lot] OCD and there were things that just kept screaming at me. Mainly, my wanting for this thing being as close to complaetely OE as possible. So, I sucked it up and dove in. Stripped the helpless girl naked. And it wasn't until it was laying there on the garage floor that I realized how much of a pain in the ass (and a hell of a lot of fun) this is gonna be.

I figured I'd start this thread and just post to it when I have questions/ concerns instead of posting a billion new threads when I'm not happy with the answers I read using the search.

Here's a list of all the things I'm working on:

1. Repair moisture damage to all edges of the bottom DONE
2. Fill the gaping hole in the front DONE
3. Paint DONE
3. Get a higher quality (or original) marquee DONE
4. Blast/ powder coat CP (or get a new one) DONE
5. Get an original CPO in good condition DONE
6. Replace burnt out EL panels
7. Install new Suzo/Happ buttons & sticks
8. Replace the replacement power supply for an OEM one
9. Pull out the 2 slot and replace with a 4
10. Obtain a MV-IC

If you'd like to see the progress so far, here's my imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/nOnN4

And here's my first question to you guys: where can I find an MVS-4 UL Label Set(all the interior labels)? Or at least high res scans of the originals to reproduce??

Last edited:

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I wonder where all the water damage came from.

Urine? Or a busted line? It didn't feel new so I trust it wasn't the guy I got it from. He was pretty awesome. Has a warehouse full of cabs. I almost raped him. And I'm not even gay.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Got my KoF97 in today from GohanX. I dig it. Haven't played it yet as I'm waiting for more shit to come in. No progress on the cab today.

My bullshit replacement marquee came in from arcadeoverlays.com. I hate the thing. I mean it's amazing quality, but the fact that it has adhesive on the BACK instead of the FRONT is bogus. Not to mention that the squares in it are solid white. Now it's time to test my skills with an xacto knife I suppose. Guess this monstrosity will hold me over until I get a legit one...

SOMEONE SELL ME A MARQUEE!!!

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
So does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 4-slot? Not for the MVS harness itself, but for the power supply and isolation transformers? I'm assuming all the wiring inside my cabinet is what came stock since the rest of the internals are. I took pictures before I removed everything but would love a diagram to be 100% positive.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
This is obviously becoming a thread of me talking to myself. Anyways. Does anyone recommend a particular type of caster to support a rev 3 4-slot cab? I'm wanting something small so not as to lift it too high off the ground. The only ones I saw at Home Depot that were relatively small could only support like 50 lbs and that definitely isn't going to cut it.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
This is obviously becoming a thread of me talking to myself. Anyways. Does anyone recommend a particular type of caster to support a rev 3 4-slot cab? I'm wanting something small so not as to lift it too high off the ground. The only ones I saw at Home Depot that were relatively small could only support like 50 lbs and that definitely isn't going to cut it.

Use furniture sliders on the bottom.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
On a carpeted floor?

yes sir, they work best on carpet. They are like thin pieces of plastic you attach to the bottom of heavy furniture and it allows you to move them with ease. We used them at a company I worked for to move very large, heavy file cabinets.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Oh I get I what they are, I justs didn't think the'd work to well on carpet. If I go that route though, I'd at least want replacement feet. I don't want her just sitting on the floor.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
you can probably find metal risers you can drill in, or make your own custom ones.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
So does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 4-slot? Not for the MVS harness itself, but for the power supply and isolation transformers? I'm assuming all the wiring inside my cabinet is what came stock since the rest of the internals are. I took pictures before I removed everything but would love a diagram to be 100% positive.

Wiring for a 4-slot should be pretty straightforward:

AC Plug -> Power Supply ---- (3 Pin: Live, Neutral, Ground) ----> Isolation Transformer ---- (Live, Neutral) ----> Monitor
_____________________ ---- (4 Pin: Live OUT, Neutral OUT, Live IN, Neutral IN; Only available on remote switching PSUs) ----> DPDT Switch
_____________________ ---- (9 Pin: +5V, +5V, +5V, Gr, Gr, Gr, +12V, -5V, -12V; Not all voltages and pinouts will match to this but this is the general idea) ----> JAMMA Harness

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Nice! I've been doing the same thing to my 4 slot for a few years a little at a time. The last two bits for me now are getting the Formica cut and on, and replacing the power supply; I have the one, but not sure how to wire it up since the cables have all been split up and cut, but I remember all the filling and sanding like in your photos :)

Good luck with the project! If you need a 4 slot board, drop me a line; I have a second one that was cleaned up and re-capped (I had both of mine done) by channelmaniac here on the forum.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
whishing you the best on your project. I would've left it the way it was, from the pictures the battle damage doesn't look all that bad... but well, if you finish it and do all you can, I'm sure this will turn out very nice.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Nice! I've been doing the same thing to my 4 slot for a few years a little at a time. The last two bits for me now are getting the Formica cut and on, and replacing the power supply; I have the one, but not sure how to wire it up since the cables have all been split up and cut, but I remember all the filling and sanding like in your photos :)

Good luck with the project! If you need a 4 slot board, drop me a line; I have a second one that was cleaned up and re-capped (I had both of mine done) by channelmaniac here on the forum.

I was offered a 4 slot previously with an MV-IC (memory card reader) and the cables. I'm probably gonna go with that one but you can shoot me a PM with info and I'll consider it.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
whishing you the best on your project. I would've left it the way it was, from the pictures the battle damage doesn't look all that bad... but well, if you finish it and do all you can, I'm sure this will turn out very nice.

The damage wasn't too great except on the rear edges where it look like it took a pretty nice fall backwards. The bottoms were nicely ate up underneath the vinyl and it was VERY loosely stuck on. There was swelling around the bottom also from apparent water damage. Came out about a quarter inch from level. That HAD to get fixed.

I'll post more pictures tonight.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Progress has been rather slow as of late. I blame my job. Soul sucking bastards. Anyways! Here's what I've done!

MASKED AND PRIMERED UP!

IMG_5488.JPG

The black

IMG_5497.JPG
IMG_5498.JPG

Most of the red (still needs touch up and another coat)

IMG_5681.JPG
IMG_5682.JPG

The twins :D [yeah, i picked up another one for cheaper than dirt]
IMG_5683.JPG

Last edited:

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
Nice work man!
It looks real good already, can't wait to see the final result

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
wanna give old skinny that 2 slot your removing? :D

As of now I have 2 2-slots (1 long one, 1 short), a 1fzs and HOPEFULLY will be able to get a 4-slot from Tyranix95 soon. I know the one that came in the first cab works but since I've been doing the resto I've removed all the batteries on em and haven't had a chance to order new ones so i couldnt tell you if the fzs or the long board work.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
As of now I have 2 2-slots (1 long one, 1 short), a 1fzs and HOPEFULLY will be able to get a 4-slot from Tyranix95 soon. I know the one that came in the first cab works but since I've been doing the resto I've removed all the batteries on em and haven't had a chance to order new ones so i couldnt tell you if the fzs or the long board work.

So what your saying is "sure you can have them skinny! I will even give them to you real cheap too since I can't test them!" Hahahaha Hahahaha but seriously, good job on the cabs! I find myself doing less modding work these days and more restoring! MrClean magic erasers and scrubbing human slime out of buttons or controllers seems to be my evening pass time while the family watches tv. I love the color matching you did, nothing beats a freshly painted big red!

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
So what your saying is "sure you can have them skinny! I will even give them to you real cheap too since I can't test them!" Hahahaha Hahahaha but seriously, good job on the cabs! I find myself doing less modding work these days and more restoring! MrClean magic erasers and scrubbing human slime out of buttons or controllers seems to be my evening pass time while the family watches tv. I love the color matching you did, nothing beats a freshly painted big red!

Yeah, on top of being OCD i'm a sucker for doing things right the first time. i have so manny spare parts right now I don't know what to do with them. I don't wanna get banned for being a "flipper" or some dumb shit cause I have extra stuff I'll never need

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
+1 Since I am going to he at this stage with my 4-slot resto here shortly! Freaking awesome! :buttrock:

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Yeah, on top of being OCD i'm a sucker for doing things right the first time. i have so manny spare parts right now I don't know what to do with them. I don't wanna get banned for being a "flipper" or some dumb shit cause I have extra stuff I'll never need

Well we will just keep our dealings to PM's and kick the mods a few dollars so they look the other way :D