Art of Fighting: would anyone even bother?

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I received a copy of art of fighting today in the mail, and took some board shots of it.

hi6zeaE.jpg

hlWyr8i.jpg

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Thanks gohan. Next time I will go ahead and look more closely at mvs scans.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I did the same thing years ago when I got a Garou MOTW cart and found some eproms on it. I almost lost my shit, I had spent a ton on that game.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The only true guarantee you have against boots is to look up the NGH number of the ROM chips on the boards. NGH-044 is Art of Fighting. This is important to do look up because some boots have a mix of Mask ROMs and EPROMs, where the Mask ROMs go unused and the actual game is made up of EPROMs.

If looking up NGH numbers is too much, you can also determine a boot just by looking at the P, M and S ROMs. There is only one slot for M and S on any SNK board and I've never seen a game with a dummy P ROM still installed. So even if the V and C ROMs are a mix of EPROMs and Mask ROMs, there won't be a question that the game is a boot.

The occasional game with a EPROM for S1 and P1 (or EP1 and EP2) and the rest is all Mask ROMs is just a repaired or code revised game.

DeusVult

Another Striker
good to know, I would have assumed fake if I saw an EPROM on it iam sure I didn't buy a game once because It had an eprom on it

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
The SamSho3 repair cart uses like 6 windowed eproms,

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
1397357288644.jpg

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
...remind me why SS3 had a "repaired" version again? I recently picked one up but haven't cracked it open to check it out yet...

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
...remind me why SS3 had a "repaired" version again? I recently picked one up but haven't cracked it open to check it out yet...

I don't think there is a difference. If I had to guess, if one of the ROMs went bad they would replace the whole set.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
That SS3... Man, never even noticed that Set 2 board scan. A replaced M1 isn't too weird. What gets me is the PROGGSS3 board, it is extremely strange. Just look at it, four, count em FOUR EP1 sockets and a P5 socket. I have never seen a board like that before.

In case you guys are confused, SS3's usual two P ROMs have been split up across 4 smaller EPROMs, in the EP1 sockets. Not sure about the P5 ROM though.

750px-Samurai_shodown_iii_set2_b1_front.jpg

Last edited: