What is the best MVS multicart?

montymole

n00b
So I'm new to MVS I just got a 4 slot red cab and loving it. I want to have the option to play some games like Garou now etc. so I can save up and buy the actual carts. The guy I bought the cab off of had the yellow multi cart but the sound was messed up completely? Where can I get one that works?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
IMHO the 138-in-1 has the best selection. Unfortunately there's the the need for a separate board going between the mobo and the harness so it's not going to work on a cmvs and quite a stretch on anything but a 1 slot.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Does the 161 in 1 work on a 1 slot? I have heard it only works properly on the multi slot boards.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
Does the 161 in 1 work on a 1 slot? I have heard it only works properly on the multi slot boards.

Can confirm 161-in-1 works fine on my MVS-1FZ and MVS-1B other than the obvious game glitches unique to the cart/ROMs

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
doesn't anyone use the search function anymore?

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Can confirm 161-in-1 works fine on my MVS-1FZ and MVS-1B other than the obvious game glitches unique to the cart/ROMs

It works on my mvs-1ax too, as well as my mv2f.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
The 161 or the 120 based on included games. The 161 works perfectly in my Omega, I highly recommend picking one up.

montymole

n00b
OK so I got an idea of the carts but now I'm more confused I have a 4 slot MVS and I need to know where I can get one that doesn't have glitches. Is that not possible due to the nature of these boards?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Pretty much. Keep in mind, these multicarts are all cheap Chinese shit. Many games on the cart use bad roms, and many of the carts have manufacturing defects. Many others work fine one day and take a shit the next. It's the nature of cheapass bootlegs.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
OK so I got an idea of the carts but now I'm more confused I have a 4 slot MVS and I need to know where I can get one that doesn't have glitches. Is that not possible due to the nature of these boards?

Par for course. You get what you pay for.

If you want the real deal then you gotta pay for it. Otherwise enjoy playing what you get with the multicart, they still serve a purpose

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

Hi

It's not possible unfortunately. You will have multiple glitches, from small ones (music plays incorrectly in KoF95) to medium ones (Garou and Garou+ are beta versions and also reset if you perform certain movements) to big ones (Aero Fighters 3 is unplayable). It's the nature of these carts as GohanX told before.

Regards.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
really wish they would make a Multicart with Sengoku 2, the original cart is so damn hard to find and it is a damn fine game. All the Multicarts I know of lack this game.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
really wish they would make a Multicart with Sengoku 2, the original cart is so damn hard to find and it is a damn fine game. All the Multicarts I know of lack this game.

No, what we really need is a MVS/AES Everdrive. I want to be in full control of all the ROMs on the cart. All the hacks, betas and glitch trash needs to be weeded out.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
No, what we really need is a MVS/AES Everdrive. I want to be in full control of all the ROMs on the cart. All the hacks, betas and glitch trash needs to be weeded out.

*If only*

I am sure Krizz said it was impossible though? Sure I heard/read that somewhere...

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager

I shudder at the cost of an SD Neo Geo MVS cart, most likely the same or more than a NG Dev release.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
*If only*

I am sure Krizz said it was impossible though? Sure I heard/read that somewhere...

No, he just said he wasn't interested in making one. There were hints that he could be obliged with a large sum of money though, so come on big tymers! ;)

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
No, he just said he wasn't interested in making one. There were hints that he could be obliged with a large sum of money though, so come on big tymers! ;)

Ah ok! Thanks for the heads up :)

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic

I wonder what amount he would need to get it off the ground. I think theres enough interest and deep enough pocketbooks.

Sean could stock it exclusively if he funded it.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
There shouldn't be any technical reason why a Neo Geo Everdrive/Flash cart wouldn't work. The only inconvenience I can think of is requiring a cable attaching the two boards so you could fill the C, S and M RAM banks from the PROG board where the SD slot and FPGA "brain" would be.

Cost however, yes, such a flash cart would cost several hundreds of dollars. Tiny boards could negate the cost a little bit, but that might cause mounting issues inside the cart shell.

For now, multicarts and a few extra originals isn't really that bad of a solution. The Neo Geo has roughly 150 games, that's not exactly what I'd call big enough to make an Everdrive worth having. TG16 + PC-Engine probably has more games than that.

YAN

n00b
As for the cost of a hypothetical neo geo cart being ludicrously expensive, well... krikzz would probably sell them for $500+ but his profit margins are very large. They wouldn't cost nearly that much to manufacture.

You can buy high speed low power 64MB DRAMs for like $3 and low end FPGAs/CPLDs are similarly cheap. You'd spend more money on voltage shifters, they're even cheaper but you'd need so damn many of them for all 200 pins! I can't foresee any part that costs more than $5 unless you need a beefier FPGA to control all the little routing FPGAs/CPLDs and SD interface, and those are about $15.

You can check PCB printing prices at pad2pad. I don't know what the exact dimensions are, but for 4x8" @ 50 units they're only $8.

Teh assembly is where it can get expensive unless you do it yourself with masks and an oven.

And this assumes we can get the necessary engineering help for free or at a steep discount. If you bribed krikzz or went to a firm you're looking at tens of thousands of dollar. And the parts/manufacturing to build a prototype or two would run you $500 - $1000.

But once you have the design drawings the parts themselves are inexpensive. And those are today's prices. By the time it goes into production a non-profit venture could probably break even at $100 each if the development and assembly costs can be kept down.

I'm sure it will happen eventually and have purchased an AES in anticipation while they're cheap. The only question is if it's going to be a crummy chinese device, an expensive proprietary cart, or a crowdfunded opensource project.

Just throwing that out there since the idea's been kicking around in my head awhile. The technology has gotten to the point where something like this is starting to look feasible. If a couple of engineers more competent than me can get onboard, and people are willing to donate for the development costs, it can happen.

West

Mr. Big's Thug
Wow the multi cart options are awesome. I gotta get one of these.