3D printing Arcade and Neo items - Collecting Ideas!

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
This last week I finally received my 3D Printer and I'm looking for ideas!

photo_4.JPG

I would like to come up with a number of useful and/or awesome Arcade and Neo things I can develop and print with it, from specialty parts to sculptures of characters and logos etc. Then I could make them available to download and print for free, or to order online through shapeways or a similar service for the people that don't have printers.

My printer prints in PLA plastic, has a resolution of 200microns (or .2mm) and has a relatively small maximum build volume of just under 4 x 4 x 5 inches (actually 100 x 100 x 125mm).

This means I cannot print you guys any snap-lock cases, and for this I apologize, but I can work larger designs into parts and eventually have them printed whole and complete through shapeways.

So send me your Ideas and I can build them, test them, make them, it will be awesome! And if you do any 3D modeling yourself, CAD or otherwise, and would like to create some files for me to print and test, I'd be happy to give them a try!

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
You could try making a sculpture of kyo, or something.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
You could make SNK themed M.U.S.C.L.E. style action figures like these:
b064245a8f898e8fffff8172a00140f.JPG

Maybe even mini arcade machine replicas too

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
And with the print out of the machine, if it is too difficult to shape the machines identity in the plastic someone could come up with high quality sticker sets to make it look authentic.

You could also print out the Neo Geo face logo into drink coasters or something

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I'll go over to your place and test out whatever you print up :D

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
There's an Outrun steering assembly gear that's a bitch to find. Maybe make some of those.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
You could make SNK themed M.U.S.C.L.E. style action figures. Maybe even mini arcade machine replicas too
Oh man! I had thought a bit about the mini arcade machines, but those muscle figures are great! I didn't know SNK made any. It would be sick of someone could get 3D scans of them.

I'll go over to your place and test out whatever you print up :D
HaHA! You'll have to find me first grasshopper :-P

Balltops.
Hmm.. like custom ones? Or just plain ones? If it's just plain ones sanwa or seimatsu balls would be higher quality and they're pretty easy to find.

There's an Outrun steering assembly gear that's a bitch to find. Maybe make some of those.
OK now this is an excellent idea! If you have some measurements or pictures of the gear I will definitely do this one, but I'll need someone with a set up to test it.

YES!!, I'd buy one of a dedicated Bubble bobble, then I'd just need some decals for the side art, CP and the screen and stuff.
If you have some photos of arcade machine minis you like I could start coming up with some good ideas of how to make these. Of course if you really want to be a boss, theres no need to settle for a sticker for the screen :-P https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a13LkVW8DFU

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
OK now this is an excellent idea! If you have some measurements or pictures of the gear I will definitely do this one, but I'll need someone with a set up to test it.

Ask around on KLOV, someone will be glad to measure/send you one. That's just one classic part that sucks, ask there and I'm sure you'll get more ideas from them.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Unfortunately those Fatal Fury figures are pretty much impossible to find, I've never came across any of them :( Maybe another member around here has them?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
How about a round balltop that has "Neo-Geo" carved into it, wrapping around? Or maybe balltops that are shaped like character's heads?

It would be pretty cool to have a Terry and Andy head as your balltops. Maybe not the most comfortable to play with, but pretty neat, imo.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Too bad it's not bigger... I was thinking arcade stick shells.

WupWuh

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Another balltop suggestion, that kitty paw from Puzzle Uo Poko.

Uopoko_03.jpg

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Another balltop suggestion, that kitty paw from Puzzle Uo Poko.

View attachment 15301

THIS. Omg, this right here.

Your Windy splatter 'tops was a great idea, too. Let's expand it to buttons.

Also, coin slot covers!
tesuzu6e.jpg

What about coins? 100¥ size/weight.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
I second coin slot covers! Also you could make repro arcade style ashtrays potentially with logos.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
there is a part that attaches the end of the laser rails in an original turbo CD unit for turbografx that break due to becoming brittle that the guys at pcenginefx would LOVE to have replacements made of. very small, very simple. would be easy and much needed i believe.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
there is a part that attaches the end of the laser rails in an original turbo CD unit for turbografx that break due to becoming brittle that the guys at pcenginefx would LOVE to have replacements made of. very small, very simple. would be easy and much needed i believe.

Yes this +1000. It's a COG/Gear I believe. I would love a few myself.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Been running some tests, learning what the limits are and the ways to get the best possible results. I think I'm gonna have to pick up a few tools and put together a kit for finishing models once they're printed. So much awesome potential here :-)

Ask around on KLOV, someone will be glad to measure/send you one. That's just one classic part that sucks, ask there and I'm sure you'll get more ideas from them.

Good idea, once I've got a better handle on things I'll start a thread over there as well.

Also, coin slot covers!

Are these really in short supply? If so it seems like smart, simple build to me. Send my some pictures and measurements and I'll see what I can put together!

I second coin slot covers! Also you could make repro arcade style ashtrays potentially with logos.

Got any pictures of these? I'm not familiar with arcade ash trays, but it sounds doable.

I'm with people on mini cabs.. Some small candies would be cool!

Yeah I'm really liking this idea! I'm wondering if I can possibly find accurate 3D renders of some candies already available online.

Once again, excellent idea! This sort of hard to find part seems like the best possible use for this kind of thing. Pictures, Measurements, and it shall be done!

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I made a 3D model of the mini mame cabinet I'm building. I could send you the STL file to see if it prints. I believe the 3D model would be 6" tall if printed, but could probably be scaled.

14204352470_cea0ca7acb_o.png

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member

I forgot about this one too, great idea.