3D printing Arcade and Neo items - Collecting Ideas!

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Just to update everyone my "Doomed to fail" test failed horribly as expected, but not in the WAY I expected so that's interesting. I got my hands on a sweet 3D Model of a NNC and was gonna see what kind of results I could get with it, but the mesh ended up being pretty shoddily constructed internally and couldn't slice properly. So I'm just gonna get down to business building these models myself. If anyone has any resources with ridiculously detailed info about candy cab dimensions, and/or abundant photos, let me know. Any detailed info on the available mini cabinets would be good as well, what scale are they for instance?

How about battery covers for NGPC?

I actually thought about this one! I've been thinking about picking up a NGPC again actually, I have no idea what happened to mine. Got that mess new for $80 bucks back in 1999 with Puzzle Link and First Mission and I played the HECK out of it! I basically just ran into it at the store with no foreknowledge of it's existence and went Neo Geo POCKET?? COLOR?!? My tiny mind was not prepared. Gooood tiiiimees.

Send me pics and measurements and I will do it :-P

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Why not design and print custom enclosures for the new wireless NEO GEO controller transmitters and receivers from mikew?

Yeah Kuze mentioned it earlier, I think it's a great idea! I just need to take the time to read through all the details and catch myself up with what's going on over there, I'm not certain I'm completely clear on all the functionality yet as it is.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
YES!!, I'd buy one of a dedicated Bubble bobble, then I'd just need some decals for the side art, CP and the screen and stuff.

Throw a raspberry pi inside and MAME and you've got a very cool project.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Yeah Kuze mentioned it earlier, I think it's a great idea! I just need to take the time to read through all the details and catch myself up with what's going on over there, I'm not certain I'm completely clear on all the functionality yet as it is.

Do you need to know what it does in order to make a plastic shell?

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
This would be rad. I'm not a pro in taking measurments, but I could send you a bunch of pictures of both (regular&slim) editions covers. Send me a PM with instructions on how to do it and I'll help to the best of my abilities.

P.S.:
I knew it.

PM Sent! and PS, given the location, I half expected that to be every single suggestion.

Do you need to know what it does in order to make a plastic shell?

To make a good one yeah, although it's more-so about how people want to use it than what it does. I'd want to integrate the battery and make it like a fully self contained little dongle, but at this point people still have to use extension cables to plug it into the Neo so I'm not sure the best path to take on that.

I'll hop over there and see if I can get some consensus.

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
i didn't know this thread was going on but this is super interesting and i will see if i can help by offering up ideas and actually finding and making 3d models.

but this is some good stuff. please keep us updated.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
probably this. bupyo ship from viewpoint. definitively.

View attachment 17016

Dude, sick idea.

i didn't know this thread was going on but this is super interesting and i will see if i can help by offering up ideas and actually finding and making 3d models.

but this is some good stuff. please keep us updated.

Sure thing! I'm working on a NGPC battery cover now, but I've been slammed with work stuff so it's a little delayed. If you find or make any good models feel free to send them right over and I'll get them printed up.

THIS. I would totally buy one of these suckers if it was totally white and I could paint it myself!

Also, anything that's prone to breaking and can't be had unless you buy another system. Especially tray gears for model 1 Sega CDs!

Agreed! I super want that ship now. Also If you have one of those tray gears handy and can send me some pics and measurements I'll see what I can do.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I'll be doing this as a service soon.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
You know what'd be great, those plastic volume/test buttons for CPS2 A boards that always seem to break.

Zangrief

Kula's Candy
You know what'd be great, those plastic volume/test buttons for CPS2 A boards that always seem to break.

I mentioned that before. Those things are friggin' brittle. Got 'one' sitting on my change tray in 4 pieces, waiting for my ever doing anything about it. Kebab sticks come in handy to punch the little buttons in the meantime. No human should ever have to deal with this.

elgwido

New Challenger
I can't imagine doing this as a service. 3D printing can make you want to kill someone. I can't tell you how many times I've had to disassemble and reassemble a printer just to get it working properly. Just replaced the hotend on the robo 3d to an e3dv5 and things are now going pretty well.

printer.jpg

Just finished printing a shell for the Turbo Everdrive

turbo.jpg

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Just finished printing a shell for the Turbo Everdrive

View attachment 17252

Can you post a few more pictures of this? I downloaded the same plan / blueprint but deleted all the writing on the shell since IMHO it looks a bit naff - thinking some kind of sticker would be better. Curious of how it looks in real life since jsut started looking for a place locally to do the printout.

elgwido

New Challenger
Can you post a few more pictures of this? I downloaded the same plan / blueprint but deleted all the writing on the shell since IMHO it looks a bit naff - thinking some kind of sticker would be better. Curious of how it looks in real life since jsut started looking for a place locally to do the printout.

Sure, I'll take a few more pics tonight (in focus this time). Also, I'll print one on glass without the text and take pictures of it. It'll have a nice clean glossy finish. The one above was printed on painters tape so it has a bit of a texture on the surface.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I can't imagine doing this as a service. 3D printing can make you want to kill someone. I can't tell you how many times I've had to disassemble and reassemble a printer just to get it working properly. Just replaced the hotend on the robo 3d to an e3dv5 and things are now going pretty well.

Nice stuff dude! I gotta say they've done pretty great job with the new makerbots, the problems I've had to deal with are minimal, but it does have fewer options when it comes to printing (of course you can just make custom profiles, but I'm still learning how to best take advantage of all of that.)

I'm with you on the service thing though, that's why I'd want to just make everything available for download, or to grab on shapeways. If VT wants to though, good on him.

Actually VT if you want to use any of the models I end up creating for repair parts and such it's no problem with me, it'll be good to make stuff more accessible to the community.

elgwido

New Challenger
Nice stuff dude! I gotta say they've done pretty great job with the new makerbots, the problems I've had to deal with are minimal, but it does have fewer options when it comes to printing (of course you can just make custom profiles, but I'm still learning how to best take advantage of all of that.)

I'm with you on the service thing though, that's why I'd want to just make everything available for download, or to grab on shapeways. If VT wants to though, good on him.

Actually VT if you want to use any of the models I end up creating for repair parts and such it's no problem with me, it'll be good to make stuff more accessible to the community.

My old Thingomatic works like a champ now. However, you can see from the picture that I had to print a new X-carriage and belt tensioners for it. I love the automated build platform that came with it. Last time i used it the machine printed 40 whistles unattended. I've had a boat load of problems with the Robo 3D though. First, the hotend has an inner plastic tube that can't really handle ABS temps so it tends to crack (This causes material to start coming out the sides). The thermistor came loose and caused a mini version of the China Syndrome where the hotend melted itself loose from the X-Carriage. I had the build plate crack and the motors overheat causing cold extrusion and of course filling in the gaps of the Hobbed bolt. Both machine work fine now but every time I print something I'm just waiting for something to go wrong.

alby13

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Last edited:

eathis

Tarma's Gun Polisher

This is a great idea, I got at least 5 CPS2 motherboards with these buttons broken and I think I'm not the only one