NeoVGA: Lagless, pixel-perfect line doubler for Neo-Geo MVS and AES

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
My luck is not so great recently... with a careless slip of the hand, it looks like I've damaged my MV-1C. I'll have to see if I can borrow the MV-4F or fix up this MV-2F, or get yet another PCB...

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I sourced a replacement NEO-GRZ chip off eBay for $40 (from a single-board KoF 2003 PCB). I might play with trying to get an MVS game running on that thing too, it'll be fun to play with for parts.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I guess when this is finalised there will be instructions on how to solder it to different revisions of AES and MVS.

Agree on the "pay more, worry less" approach. Take your time with this.

For what you are making, for me, I have no problem with the cost going up. I'd rather pay $200 for a good, reliable product than $100 for an iffy one. Wiring schematics to the video DAC on each board should be simple as most are already documented.

Yeah, I'd be willing to pay more for a better product.
How much are just RGB to component encoders going for these days? I thought I paid around 100 for those years ago.
I would expect something like this to cost a bit more. This seems way more complicated and needs more smarts on the boards.

I share the same sentiment as everyone here.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I worked very hard and fixed up my MV-2! It's annoying though - every Neo-Geo I've tried has slightly different video timings! I might have to have different firmware loaded for different Neo systems, or groups of neo systems.

The image in the picture isn't quite perfect - there's some oddness on the left because I basically did a hack to get this running without more work:

wHQKf1Y.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Forgot to ask and I can't remember if I read it anywhere in the thread but does the NeoVGA also support scanlines?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Yep, right now it has 100% scanlines and ~40% scanlines. Of course, you may also have zero.

kunio.JPG

All features I'm describing include ones available for CPS2, or any other system I add support for.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yep, right now it has 100% scanlines and ~40% scanlines. Of course, you may also have zero.

All features I'm describing include ones available for CPS2, or any other system I add support for.

Soo other systems.... has it been asked if this could ever work for the Dreamcast?
Already got HDMI for the N64, all I'd ever want after that is the NeoGeo, SNES and DC!
I thought I read in other places HDMI for the SNES would be painful.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
awesome stuff is happening in here...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Soo other systems.... has it been asked if this could ever work for the Dreamcast?
Already got HDMI for the N64, all I'd ever want after that is the NeoGeo, SNES and DC!
I thought I read in other places HDMI for the SNES would be painful.

The dreamcast already supports VGA output. If you want HDMI, you could just use a VGA to HDMI converter.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You'd have to modify some code on the game disc for those games to work via VGA. I guess the best work around would be to convert RGBS to VGA so it works with all games.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Can't wait to try the new board out a little later today:

12772001_10153421845923008_3469724958122503105_o.jpg

I haven't figured out the best way to keep this cheap and also facilitate installs, but the inputs are now 0.05" pads, spaced nicely for the common ribbon cables you can get for cheap. I'd just include four short ribbon cables to easily attach to the pads as needed, which lets the connections be organized without much difficulty.

Last edited: