NeoVGA: Lagless, pixel-perfect line doubler for Neo-Geo MVS and AES

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I can't wait to wire it up. Unfortunately I've promised myself I won't do that until I've finished this final project I'm working on. Graduating is important!

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
man, i'm glad this is coming together so nicely.
I'm sure it's been asked before, but what types of video will this output, just VGA?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
It'll do 480p VGA, 480p Component, 240p RGB, and 240p Component. Two switches modify the colorspace (RGB/YPbPr) and resolution (480p/240p).

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
It'll do 480p VGA, 480p Component, 240p RGB, and 240p Component. Two switches modify the colorspace (RGB/YPbPr) and resolution (480p/240p).

are the RGB OUT lines pulled down to an acceptable video voltage for Televisions (.7v)? I mean, I shouldn't even have to ask, but just curious. This is an amazing solution :D

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
They output 0.7Vp-p with respect to ground, and are 75-ohm terminated, ready to go to your PVM or XRGB or capture card or whatever. For component video, or sync-on-green, it gets a DC bias of 0.3v for the sync level. The outputs are ready to go straight to the VGA cable, and follows the application circuit of the DAC precisely, so there's no adding extra resistors and caps or other funny business.

If you wire your RGB like I do (through a VGA port with CSync on the HSYNC pin) then a single VGA port with switches for resolution and rgb/component can be used, and you don't need a redundant port. The NeoVGA in 240p mode is a better DAC than the original one, if only because it's not a cheap linear resistor DAC with 5% rated resistors...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm probably the only person in the world to ask this, but would it work on a CDZ?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
It ought to. I just don't have one, so I can't promise that until I've messed with one. However, all the Neo-Geo systems can mostly be broken down into there generations, and the last one (MV1C, all-in-one JAMMA, maybe CDZ?) use the NEO-GRZ ASIC and it has slightly different timings. I still support it, though, through an option jumper on the PCB.

If you want to donate a CDZ, I'd be happy to try (or borrow, but there's a chance your shit can get ruined because it's mechanical and I can only be so patient)

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
They output 0.7Vp-p with respect to ground, and are 75-ohm terminated, ready to go to your PVM or XRGB or capture card or whatever. For component video, or sync-on-green, it gets a DC bias of 0.3v for the sync level. The outputs are ready to go straight to the VGA cable, and follows the application circuit of the DAC precisely, so there's no adding extra resistors and caps or other funny business.

If you wire your RGB like I do (through a VGA port with CSync on the HSYNC pin) then a single VGA port with switches for resolution and rgb/component can be used, and you don't need a redundant port. The NeoVGA in 240p mode is a better DAC than the original one, if only because it's not a cheap linear resistor DAC with 5% rated resistors...

I want this even more now. Thanks!

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Does this do anything different than the RGB going out of the system, or is the RGB out simply a bypass solution (so there's less holes, like you mentioned)

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
The RGB is captured from before the original DAC, but when it's on 240p mode it's more or less a pass-through (no scaling or processing done, other than Component conversion optionally)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
this is some good stuff. Thanks for the additional info and all the best for your graduation.

-SD-

Camel Slug
This is an amazing achievement, can't wait to get one installed in my AES :buttrock: It'd also help with consolizing the PGM too assuming it works with that system.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Alright, I sent out a bunch of e-mails and private messages to everyone on my spreadsheet. It's a pretty generic one, so please don't be offended if it's relatively impersonal!

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Alright, I sent out a bunch of e-mails and private messages to everyone on my spreadsheet. It's a pretty generic one, so please don't be offended if it's relatively impersonal!

Did I not make the cut? I posted in the other thread that I was interested, but if I'm too late, then it is what it is.