NeoVGA: Lagless, pixel-perfect line doubler for Neo-Geo MVS and AES

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nice that it was something simple. Looking forward to the product. Great work dude.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Yah yah yah yah yah
PvIXCwc.png

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Final PCBs have been ordered. Getting Macrofab to assemble them requires a lot of annoying clerical steps, so it looks like the first batch is going to be done by me, by hand. Oof... on the bright side, I've made a few changes to make hand assembly easier, and by ordering 10 PCBs I was able to get it a bit cheaper than before.

Here are some moneyshots of Metal Slug on the big Sony TV I have been testing 480p component on. You can see a comparison of 0, 50, and 100% scanlines in effect. Unfortunately the TV has some stupid sharpening shit that can't be turned off, where it blends vertically, but it's not _that_ bad:

s2QllBT.jpg

qLApJtZ.jpg

sQzmNQV.jpg

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
The red board is super sexy. Congrats on a finished product. I've been following this project since the beginning and it's super fucking awesome to see it come to completion.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Wow, very nice. If all goes well I'd like to order a few in advance for installs on my CMVS systems.

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
Look good Mike. I'm ready to order when the production start (can I do that /w my post count... sigh) I can't wait to update my CMVS. running this and undamned encoder will make thing easier to run at tournaments

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I'd love one when you've ironed out any kinks for CPS2 :). I'd also love one for my omega as well :D

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Congrats on the final product. Would like to order a couple as well.

Question: Will the finished product come with installation instructions for AES/MVS? What's the difficulty level in properly installing this to a Neo Geo unit be it AES or MVS?

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
I'm in for one...not sure how the post count thing works for doing this but oh well.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I know everyone is bum rushing you for orders. Do you know how you plan to handle orders yet? Like will you be doing them through your site or just email/pm?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Regarding orders, I haven't even really thought through how I'd want to do this. Since right now I have to build them by hand, it's hard to make extras and keep them in stock. I don't know how I'm going to handle dibs, we'll deal with that once I have it done. If a reputable online game shop that sells similar kits would be interested in selling them, I'd be into that, but I haven't considered it yet.

First thing I think of when I hear that song is Crazy Taxi, lol.

Yep, that was the intended reference.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
One option is to sell 'kits' with all the required parts and make the end user put it together, would save you a lot of hassle.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Regarding orders, I haven't even really thought through how I'd want to do this. Since right now I have to build them by hand, it's hard to make extras and keep them in stock. I don't know how I'm going to handle dibs, we'll deal with that once I have it done. If a reputable online game shop that sells similar kits would be interested in selling them, I'd be into that, but I haven't considered it yet.

I cannot speak for any other member, but maybe you can talk to shadowkn, cdamm or NeoTurfMasta, AFAIK all of them have stores that may fit what you need, and might even be able to offer service of installation. It would be nice seeing Omega CMVS come with your encoder factory-installed.

Also, congratulations for this product. It looks very nice, and I think I'll be getting a couple when you make them publicly available.

Regards.

Last edited:

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
One option is to sell 'kits' with all the required parts and make the end user put it together, would save you a lot of hassle.

That might be kind of mean, though. Some of these parts are 0.4mm pitch SMT parts, it takes some practice to get used to!

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
That might be kind of mean, though. Some of these parts are 0.4mm pitch SMT parts, it takes some practice to get used to!

If you want some help, I can populate boards for you on the equipment at my work. I'd be happy to lend a hand. Just let me know.