NeoVGA: Lagless, pixel-perfect line doubler for Neo-Geo MVS and AES

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
New Feature: 480p AND 240p component video support is included now. With two switches you can go between these four output modes:

-240p RGB (standard, no need to have two ports on the same console)
-240p Component (digital colorspace conversion so no expensive encoder board to include)
-480p VGA
-480p Component (most HDTVs still offer this!)

I think adding Component output will increase accessibility with a lot more televisions. Many new TVs have dropped the VGA port but still take 480p component, so having it available greatly increases the potential userbase size.

So will the component be output through the VGA port, or will you need to put in the requisite RCA jacks?

Last edited:

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
It is through the VGA port. I'd ideally include a VGA to Component cable, as they are about $5. I think separate component jacks might imply that both run at once, which is not the case (the design would be much more expensive). This also lets you use an easily found VGA to BNC cable, letting you use RGB or Component on a PVM / Other broadcast monitor / BNC to SCART thing / whatever you want, if you want to disable the VGA output temporarily. That way you don't need to keep a separate RGB output port (though you can, nothing stops you).

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Hi, VGA will provide H & V sync separately - with a view on increased flexibility/compatibility would combined sync be a possible output on this unit?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
In 480p VGA mode, H and V sync are separate.

In 240p RGB, pin 13 outputs Csync.

In 240p and 480p component, Csync is output on pin 13 and also mixed into the Y channel.

I guess I can add another pin for explicit C-sync output at all times, if I have enough I/O.

nam9

Zero's Secretary
I could see it being useful for output to say a Framemeister. Sure there are other uses besides that one.
Anyway - following this project with interest :)

crans

n00b
22 points to solder to system and would think 22 more on your board so 44 ppints. Count me in. keep up the good work

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Where do I order this?

I don't know where he is on the developement stage, but he informed me a couple of weeks ago that he got all of the info he needed for the AES side from my home console. I'm hoping he's near done with his proto board soon. I'd love to see it in action in person.

gtdoering

New Challenger
New Feature: 480p AND 240p component video support is included now. With two switches you can go between these four output modes:

-240p RGB (standard, no need to have two ports on the same console)
-240p Component (digital colorspace conversion so no expensive encoder board to include)
-480p VGA
-480p Component (most HDTVs still offer this!)

I think adding Component output will increase accessibility with a lot more televisions. Many new TVs have dropped the VGA port but still take 480p component, so having it available greatly increases the potential userbase size.

This project just gets more an more interesting. I want this! TAKE MY MONEY!!

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Heeeeeeeeeeeey so summer has started. I'm going to give making a PCB for this a try. I sold off almost all my Neo stuff, but I still have a copy of KoF 95 and my MVS, so I can work with that.

I realized nothing stops me from using the same PCB for other VGA projects. I hope to slowly add compatibility for most arcade games, since almost all of them expose their pixel bus in the same tappable way.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Heeeeeeeeeeeey so summer has started. I'm going to give making a PCB for this a try. I sold off almost all my Neo stuff, but I still have a copy of KoF 95 and my MVS, so I can work with that.

I realized nothing stops me from using the same PCB for other VGA projects. I hope to slowly add compatibility for most arcade games, since almost all of them expose their pixel bus in the same tappable way.

Just occasionally I wish this forum had a 'like' button.

PS - You never sent me your PP address. And would it be possible get my Genesis Model 1 psu back at some point?

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
I started working on adding CPS1/1.5/2 support using a Zero 2 Alpha board. I'd like it to also be supported before release. I see no reason older games can't be added too - most '80s and '90s arcade games expose their pixel bus very easily. It would be good to have a high quality scaler board dedicated to older arcade games for better future compatibility.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
CPS2 is working great. Looks just like an emulator. Scanlines are, again, optional:

7EDwnPg.jpg

pm4oFvj.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is the Neo one ready? I have a few people asking about a good VGA option for the Neo.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Is the Neo one ready? I have a few people asking about a good VGA option for the Neo.

The code is complete, it is juts a matter of designing a PCB. If you have an existing FPGA PCB with a VGA DAC on it, as well as an EEPROM or MCU for loading the bitstream at boot, adapting it would be no trouble. Once I'm done moving, I can sit down and make a PCB for it. After that, I can re-use the same PCB one for Neo-Geo, CPS2, and all these other systems. I might work on it a little during hotel stops along the way (I am driving cross country).

Worst case, a week or two.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Small thought/request..

Have you thought about incorporating a scanline generator to this?

**EDIT**

D'OH! Just re read the thread :p

Last edited:

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Small thought/request..

Have you thought about incorporating a scanline generator to this?

**EDIT**

D'OH! Just re read the thread :p

Yep, scanlines have been built in since day 1. You get full scanlines, partial, or none (the screenshots above show partial).

I'm going to borrow someone's 60fps camera at some point so I can prove the no-lag situation. Only about a week until I'm home and can make a PCB.

Lemony Vengeance

Yep, scanlines have been built in since day 1. You get full scanlines, partial, or none (the screenshots above show partial).

I'm going to borrow someone's 60fps camera at some point so I can prove the no-lag situation. Only about a week until I'm home and can make a PCB.

if you need anyone to test it on CPS2 I have a consolized A board that I can use :)

even if you don't need it, I'd love to get one from you when they're done :)

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Since I've arrived in CA I've spent so much time with work and higher priorities. I did get started on the PCB schematic. It's a slow process, but it isn't dead.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Could this work on old consoles as well? S/NES, Genesis, etc.

Lemony Vengeance

Since I've arrived in CA I've spent so much time with work and higher priorities. I did get started on the PCB schematic. It's a slow process, but it isn't dead.

AWESOME! I'm glad that it's still rolling along. Lemme know if you need anyone to assist with CPS2 testing or anything like that.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Good to hear! Looking forward to this! Where in CA are you?