Was there ever a reason why SNK released Metal Slug 2 the way it was?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
I mean if you play through the first few seconds you see the horrible slow down...didn't they realize "Wow this is way too much slowdown, something has to be wrong." Did we ever get a reason why they released it that way?

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
They didn't give a shit and wanted to make money?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I mean if you play through the first few seconds you see the horrible slow down...didn't they realize "Wow this is way too much slowdown, something has to be wrong." Did we ever get a reason why they released it that way?
Maybe they wanted to release it quickly (to make money off the back of the first game). It wasn't so slow that people wouldn't play it.
Metal Slug X used a trick which involved getting more power from the motherboard to increase the game speed (or something like that, don't know how they sped it up). So that might have taken a while to implement.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Metal Slug X used a trick which involved getting more power from the motherboard to increase the game speed (or something like that, don't know how they sped it up). So that might have taken a while to implement.

That makes as much sense as Blast Processing.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Maybe they wanted to release it quickly (to make money off the back of the first game). It wasn't so slow that people wouldn't play it.

If im not mistaken ( which I maybe ), there is no processing done on the cart. The only thing the cart does is handle bank switching. So it would have to be pure code optimization.

Alot of times, developers have much beefer development units of the systems. So it could have been a rushed release and there wasnt enough time to optimize the code. Honestly I like the slowdown in MS2, I think it makes it easier when there is 10 million things happening at once.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

And once again no evidence to back up your claims.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Maybe I'm on something but I thought they added a whole separate chip to MSX (that tends to overheat and die) to fix the slowdown?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
And once again no evidence to back up your claims.

I just gave up on him, its like a documentary of an old guy talking about video games and gets everything mixed up. You just want it to end, the life and the show.
:oh_no:

Or a worthless issue of Gamepro.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
according to this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2_GzSfi_RY4#t=14s

Metal Slug 2 is a great game but it's plagued by immense slowdown. This is due to the game logic being updated twice per cycle and the graphics events only once per cycle. Not the slow speed chips that were used when making the game cart as we once thought. This problem was fixed when SNK made Metal Slug X. If you overclock MSX then difference isn't even noticeable at 16mhz since the game was optimized.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
LOL - Fucking 2....X is the only thing that could salvage that hunk of shit. XD

X>2

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

I really wish you would just stop posting on the forum.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ahahahaha, fuckin' joe8 strikes again.

This dude is special, an ignorant know-it-all. A living, breathing oxymoron.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Only fagduf thinks 2 > X.

Love me some X... best game in the series, to me.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

Havent played X but I really like 2. X is the same thing with only minor changes and no slowdowns right?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Havent played X but I really like 2. X is the same thing with only minor changes and no slowdowns right?

X has different a different palette (such as stage 1 being at night instead of daytime), different enemy/boss placement, and most importantly much less slowdown.

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy

Well damn guess i'm the minority here. 2 > X

Love both games I just prefer 2 better. To be fair I have not much play time on X as I do of MS2. *shrugs*

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Dudes, the slowdown... the fucking slowdown!

It would be a better game than X otherwise, but that fucking slowdown KILLS it. How do you get through it without going insane?

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
In 1998 MS2 wasn't so bad, I didn't put so much attention in slowdowns, but after MSX it became useless...

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member

All the changes other than the slowdown fix are for the worse. X is a fine game, but 2 is much better. I wish they had just fixed the slowdown and that's it, but they had to justify a new release...

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Dis nigglet....

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!

GELs6Fq.gif

Popo PLS, how you gonna be a mod if the n00b sasses you like that?