1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

Samurai Showdown was the one that got me hooked. My friends and I played it a lot back then. I just recently was able to afford to buy an MVS cabinet and it came Samurai Showdown and Bust A Move.

Kingcar

n00b
First Neo Geo Game I've ever played was King of Fighters 96 among with windjammers.
In a tiny Arcade in italy, spend all my money in that cabs, but had a good time.^^

Master Tasuke

Pathetic Meat Sack, Doll Fucker and Collector of J
MAGICIAN LORD on PS2 SNK arcade classics collection. once i heard GAL AGIESE's kindly 'ol grandpa spiel,
i wanted an original copy of the game and the hardware to play it on.

oh yeah, and i did kind of fall in love with the look of the AES back in the 90's, thanks to this (in)famous contest advert;

ugr02.jpg

MVSbuddy

n00b
King of Monsters. I loved Kaiju films as a kid and this was the first satisfying Kaiju game I had played. One thing I wish had happened was that Neo Geo had acquired a version of the mech game, Assault Suit Leynos, then everything would have been complete for me.

MoxManiac

n00b
Samurai Shodown. I also remember playing World Heroes 2 at a Walmart. I miss the days when MVS cabs were everywhere.

Master Tasuke

One thing I wish had happened was that Neo Geo had acquired a version of the mech game, Assault Suit Leynos, then everything would have been complete for me.

that, my friend, gets two big thumbs-up. LEYNOS is one of my all time favorites since childhood,
when my parents had bought me it's U.S. "TARGET EARTH" localization for like $20 in 1991.
today, i have a proper JPN original, and the 1/35 injection-mold model kit of the titular mecha in question
marketed by PLUM corp. just a few years ago. while i was at it, i added a resin 1/35 fighter pilot figure by VERLINDEN corp.
painted and finished to resemble the players' LEYNOS mecha's pilot;

ASL-JOHN-4-28-12.jpg

Last edited:

Master Tasuke

lucky you. imagine all the poor saps that had to sneak their way off to the 'cades in their day,
usually to the persistent chagrin of their uptight, straight-arrow soccer parents...

ghibben

Zero's Secretary
I have to say Metal Slug X, I had played others before but that was the first memorable one. I liked the length and all the crazy things going on. Also all the small details like the flags moving when you shoot them.

NeoAce

Quiz Detective
The first Neo game I loved was "Magician Lord". A movie theater in my hometown had a 4-slot Big Red when I was a child, and I was so impressed by the size of the characters onscreen. After seeing the size of the characters in "Baseball Stars 2", I was hooked. That's what sold me on Neo: sprite size.

Zeo-Gold

n00b
Metal Slug, I'm not entirely sure which one it was but my uncle and I used to frequent a place called Intensity before it shut down. It was great fun.

Hippo

SEARCH, FUNCTION, GOD!,
15 Year Member
World Heroes Perfect
Pop's a burger joint that isn't around anymore. He had a 2-slot with WHP and SpinMaster

bklyn4ever

New Challenger
Street Hoops was the game that did it for me. It was a game that my brother and I played for hours at a time. Growing up in the inner city of Brooklyn NY gave it more relate ability.

Reynold1

n00b
Metal Slug. I never get tired of any of the games in the series and always come back to play the few I own on other consoles. But there was an old timey movie theater near my house that had a red cabinet set up and I used to go straight to that game before and after a movie, so I was definitely hooked.

turbosage

Zero's Secretary
15 Year Member
Magician Lord

Magician Lord is the game that truly blew my mind! It said "Hey, this is Neo Geo, forget everything else."

I was at the county fair when I was about 10 years old. I was seeking cover from a rain storm that wasn't letting up. I saw a tent with about 20 arcade cabs. The people running the arcade tent were moving the cabinets out of the dirt and propping them on wooden pallets to keep them out of the dirt that was becoming mud from the rain. In the center of these Double Dragons and Bad Dudes and Ninja Turtles games was a NEO GEO with Magician Lord. I was completely floored by it's music and graphic presentation. I had a dollar in my pocket and played through the first stage and through part of the second with the dollar I brought with. Soon after that, Magician Lord became the first game I seeked out when I visited any arcade.

Now I have the game in the comfort of my own home on a near flawless conversion for the NEO GEO CD. I plan on picking up the MVS cart someday too.

:)

1badmutha

n00b
Wow! I think I remember seeing that ad back in the day in maybe egm? Check out the infinity reference speakers oh yeah!

And the first game that got me hooked on the neo? Fatal Fury. Playing 2p coop and Richard myers stage music blaring is what I remember vividly...

MAGICIAN LORD on PS2 SNK arcade classics collection. once i heard GAL AGIESE's kindly 'ol grandpa spiel,
i wanted an original copy of the game and the hardware to play it on.

oh yeah, and i did kind of fall in love with the look of the AES back in the 90's, thanks to this (in)famous contest advert;

ugr02.jpg

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
That ad was around for a good fifteen years, cycling in new systems with each generation. I wonder if anyone ever won.

http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/11/column_game_mag_weaseling_15_y_1.php

The first Neo Geo game that grabbed me? 2020 Super Baseball. That's a strange choice, because the arcade version gave you only three minutes of playtime per credit. It was a rip-off in some ways, and I remember that my quarter usually got me as far as the NOW WE'LL SET THE CRACKER screen. Loved the game, though.

miamijoe

New Challenger
it was like crack

for me i got hook on Fatal Fury playing that in the arcade was the best ahhhh the 90's how i miss it

Bancho

n00b
Burning Fight was my first real memory of the Neo Geo, and that was at a local import shop running on a AES. Samurai Showdown was the Neo Geo game I played most as a kid in the local arcade though.

Only now has my search to build a CMVS started with my re-interest in retro gaming.

bolts100

n00b
Was puzzle bobble in the arcade that got me started. Then found myself getting addicted to Sengoku. Spent pounds on it in my local youth club in the day!

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,

Wow, I actually remember this and believe I entered it. I wonder who ended up winning it.

carnage6

n00b
Believe it or not it was Ninja Combat. I still love it to this day even though most people hate it. It made me want to buy the Neo home system when I was a kid after playing it in the arcade by my house. Ironically it was the last game I bought when I got my home system.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I still remember watching the episode of Johnny Arcade reviewing the Neo Geo running Ninja Combat.