1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Hey when did I say it was exactly like SF 2? I said it was a clone, I said the way you do special/super moves are the same ie quarter circle forwards and charge back forwards ect. Sure SF2 is much better technical game, but Breakers isn't a bad game at all, imo it is a great game for beginners and people who are not great at fighters. Such as myself.

Blahhh.

Anytime I hear someone say Breakers followed by a "It's like SFII" I give them shit. Is it more fair to say it's like SF Alpha? Sure.

To single out Breakers out of all the fighting games from the 90's to be the one that plays or looks like a title far less modern is dumb, and it happens all the time.

Don't take it personal.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Well then may I suggest Ninja Masters? Sorry Mack asked about a game that was like SF2 and I suggested Breakers :P I will take no shame that I enjoy that game.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Well then may I suggest Ninja Masters? Sorry Mack asked about a game that was like SF2 and I suggested Breakers :P I will take no shame that I enjoy that game.

Shame?

Suggest what you'd like. Saying Breakers is akin to SFII demonstrates a complete disregard for the nuances in the genre.

EDIT: In case you haven't gotten it, I'm hard gay for Breakers.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Breakers is friendly for beginners but don't be fooled, it's miles deep.

Dao Long all day and Condor when in trouble, that's all I need but I can fuck around with the entire roster just fine.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Ganryu for me. I see a lot of hate for it on this board - not sure why.

It's like a Super Mario Bros. clone.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Ganryu for me. I see a lot of hate for it on this board - not sure why.

It's like a Super Mario Bros. clone.

"It's like an NES game! It's bad!"

What NES games were these people playing?
How many pure action platform games were being released on arcade hardware in 1999?

Now surely that fact alone doesn't make the game good. However, Ganryu is a competently designed title and has always been one of those "Uhhh yeah, I'll look funny saying this game sucks. No one will give me shit for this, as I do not believe this game has any fans I feel safe hehe" titles.

And the misinformation is kept alive!

Last edited:

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
Fatal Fury or some shit. It has been a long time and I don't remember exactly.

JasonToddLives

Armored Scrum Object
The first Neo Geo game to get me hooked was playing the demo kiosk home system on a big screen TV at the Willowbrook Mall (Wayne, NJ). It was Christmas time and Baseball Stars was on. Volume was increase and there was always a crowd around the system. That day, I fell in love with the Neo Geo.

The first game on the MVS that I remember playing was Samurai Shodown at our local sports card/comic shop. I easily spent $50 in quarters that summer.

Do you know if that arcade in Willowbrook is still there? Once I got my license I went there instead of church.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
New member here, I grew up seeing Neo Geo all around me but sadly I could never get my hands on one back then so I'm looking to start collecting MVS games pretty soon hopefully. I remember seeing the original Metal Slug in a Singapore arcade in the 90s and many of the video game stores there had AES systems with Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting being demoed.

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting at the skating ring where i grew up.

Royale68

n00b
Got hooked by just seeing and examining the AES boxes that I could only dream of affording (never did). The games I played in the arcades was metal slug and KoF, don't think the selection of arcadegames in sweden at that time was great but at least those were quality.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I bought a 120in1 cart and an MVS-1FZ just because I had to play this shmup/puzzle hybrid I'd seen on hardcoregaming101 called "Twinkle Star Sprites." That game hooked me (so much so that I had to finally own an actual copy so I wouldn't have to fiddle with menus to load it)... and then Magical Drop III clenched it. Been working my way slowly out to other puzzle games and genres since then.

Last edited:

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Fatal Fury or Samurai Shodown.

FF was in my local arcade next to SF2, the joystick motions seemed off and over pronounced, but what I really liked about it was if player 2 joined, you would both fight the CPU, then (if you won) fight each other.

The next time I saw that, it was called dramatic battle and was in SF Alpha.

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
Robo Army. That was the first game I played on the Neo Geo Home console that I rented out from a store back in the early 90's. Played that nonstop.

tastysoil

New Challenger
Samurai Shodown, i remember playing it at the local arcade and couldn't believe there was blood in it.

daybona

Juz,
For me, it was a two slot with Sengoku and King of the Monsters at a boardwalk arcade at the beach. My family would go to the beach, but I'd just be counting down the time till we went to the rides (which housed the arcade).

I was 11 when Sengoku came out so naturally I was very much into Ninjas and Samurai. Games like Sengoku and Revenge of Shinobi used to captivate me as a child. I can clearly remember the attract sequence when they were fighting Samurai in a floating castle and being blown away by it.

King of the Monsters had such amazing graphics and gameplay that wasn't really like anything I'd played before. It'd be a lie to say that these games have aged well...they haven't. But it's always fun to pop them in for some mindless fun and reminisce back on a simpler time in my life.

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Sengoku. I remember seeing this in 1991 at a restaurant when I was 10 and it blew me away. The graphics were great, the sound was unbelievable, and the game was just really fucking weird. "A blue and purple cowboy? A giant skull with a spoon trying to kill me? What the fuck is this weird ass chanting? How do they do that weird zoom shrinking thing when you die?"

At the time I wasn't aware of what the Neo-Geo was or who SNK was, so I just remembered it as "that weird fucking game" for years.

Thanks to MAME back in 1998, I rediscovered the Neo, and was surprised to find out that this game, along with "that samurai sword fighting game with the huge bald dude" were both on the same system, and that SNK was the company that made "that game that had the purple haired girl that shot lasers and sang (Psycho Solders)".

Been a die-hard SNK/Neo fan since and recently acquired Sengoku for my MVS at home.

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
Metal Slug 3 for sure. when i worked at toys r us in 2004, there was an xbox kiosk with a MS3 demo in it. i played the first level probably 900 times. i also got fired, eventually.

this past spring i went to the Louisville Arcade Expo and ended up credit-spamming my way through it on a proper neo cab.

Xionicist

NEST Puppet
Ghost Pilots was mine. Still is one of my favorites, too, and a massively underrated shooter. Awesome sound.

I think I play it more than Strikers '45.

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Blazing Star for me.

A nearby video store had a two-slot MVS. I actually can't even remember the other game, because I played Blazing Star so much. Most of the time I'd go up there just to play the game and wouldn't rent anything.