1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Languedoc-Roussillon :)
:eek::eek::eek: I'm going on vacation this sunday. We'll stay in a village just north of Montpellier! Do you still remember where that cab was? Maybe I can make a trip there... would be très formidable if I found it!

AES5

n00b
The first one I played was baseball stars, but the one that got me amazed was fatal fury!

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Puzzle Bobble (well...Bust-A-Move on the cab)

Still remember being a little kid and couldn't resist the colors of the cabinet and the game itself

When I was 19 I found a Beast Busters Second Nightmare in a hotel in Vail, Colorado. Probably pumped $20 in quarters into the thing. It was the first time I ever knew the Hyper Neo-Geo existed

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I'm pretty sure the first one I ever played was Samurai Showdown in the arcades. I then later found the Metal Slug series, played 1, 2, and X all in the arcades.

spoonz

Quiz Detective
My first NG game was Art of Fighting 2, back then my parents would not let me go to the arcade so I mistakenly thought it was Street Fighter 2 at the time and wondered why it looked so weird. It wasn't until some years later when I was in high school that I discovered KOF and fell in love with the series.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Played Fatal Fury before on the arcade and although I was impressed with the demo I wasn't impressed with the gameplay so I didn't get all excited about it until Samurai Shodown, World Heroes and Fatal Fury 2 were at the arcade next to SFII.

In 1990, I saw a kid playing Magician Lord on one of the multi cabs. He was using a memory card from his home system(Show off!)

I decided to give it a go after he left, but switched to Ninja Combat instead. From there, I was hooked.

Giga_Power32bit

Armored Scrum Object
KOF 94' at a Local Arcade one minute away from UMass Lowell. Me and bunch of friend's would walk from Lowell High School to this little hole in the wall arcade. I'd use the USA Sport's Team!!!

Last edited:

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Mine was Metal Slug 2 on a gold cab in Santa Cruz Boardwalk. I've been in love with Metal Slug and Neo Geo ever since! :)

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I still remember the first arcade game I ever played, which got me hooked on gaming. Hard Drivin'...man I spent soooooo many quarters as a kid trying to get around the loop in that game. I was probably 7 or 8 at that point

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
The first Neo Geo game to get me hooked was playing the demo kiosk home system on a big screen TV at the Willowbrook Mall (Wayne, NJ). It was Christmas time and Baseball Stars was on. Volume was increase and there was always a crowd around the system. That day, I fell in love with the Neo Geo.

The first game on the MVS that I remember playing was Samurai Shodown at our local sports card/comic shop. I easily spent $50 in quarters that summer.

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
Metal slug 3 a couple of years ago got me hooked !!
...neo geo was nowhere to be found in Greece during its heyday :) ...

miisalo

Astra Superstar
Windjammers. I laughed at friend's arcade hobby but then he took his neo to my "boys night" and we played windjammers. Now 8 months later I have naomi cab, three neos and just got st-v.

F... you rockstarrunner :keke:

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
For me it was Samurai Shodown in 1996, My Father had a surgeons conventions on a cruise ship to Alaska and the cruise ship had a "Kids Club" type deal where you did fun activities all day while the parents were in their convention meetings. The Ship also had an arcade and one of the activities was that they let just us kids into the arcade and put all the cabs on free play. I remember going straight to Street Fighter 2 but right next to it was a Neo Geo cab with Samurai Shodown in it, I was so impressed that the game had so much blood and you could actually use weapons.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
Definitely original Samurai Shodown which was my first Neo Geo experience in the mid 90s at the local arcade. Those were the days of people lining up their quarters on the front of the cabs as placeholders for the next challenger with a crowd of spectators surrounding a single cab trying to get a glimpse of the action. Fun times!

snkjoe

New Challenger
Back then I have to say fatal fury and art of fighting I loved playing those 2 games on a daily basis. Used drain my dad's pockets lol.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Hmmm I don't think I have ever played a Neo Geo game before.
Mack Baby I shall take you under my wing, PM incoming

EDIT: OOPS you don't have PM rights yet.

You have seriously never played a game in the Metal Slug series? Are you into fighters? Shmups? Platformers? Gotta know what your bag is before I can suggest you some games to check out.

Last edited:

actionking

n00b
For CD it was Nam 1975
For MVS Art of Fighting 1

and for the AES I got a lot including Fatal Fury, Last Resort, World Heroes 2, Super Sidekicks and Art of Fighting 1.

All in all great classic games for the first neo geo experience :)

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
blades of blood on a playstation. does that make my answer wrong?

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
Mack702 You should really try blazing star,metal slug 3,shock troopers 2nd squad and any king of fighters :)

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Mack don't let him! He thinks Breakers is exactly like SFII.

He doesn't understand.

EDIT: Why do people love Mack so much?

Mack4mod?

Hey when did I say it was exactly like SF 2? I said it was a clone, I said the way you do special/super moves are the same ie quarter circle forwards and charge back forwards ect. Sure SF2 is much better technical game, but Breakers isn't a bad game at all, imo it is a great game for beginners and people who are not great at fighters. Such as myself.