Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

Angel's Love Slave

Metal Slug 2 was the first neo game for me. Id usually only have a quarter or two though, dont think I made it past level 3 as a kid.

Slug 3 and the original were some others I got to play around that time. Super sidekicks 2/3/98 was another, but I dont recall which one.

Crazed MVS Addict

King of Fighters 94, which I played at a local video game store. I remember thinking that the Neo Geo was more powerful than all the other consoles, despite being only 24-bit.

Kula's Candy

Metal Slug 1 and 2 at local roller blade place. Always saved $2 just to beat on it when crappy songs came up or people played red light green light. Good times.

Need a custom CMVS, supergun, or a repair? Looking for arcade parts and tutorials? www.JammaNationX.com has all this and much more!

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    Which was what I thought, therefore I was surprised to hear you saw BBS2 in an arcade at all
    There was another arcade further down the beach that had Super Baseball 2020

Camel Slug

SAMURAI SHODOWN 2

Crossed Swords Squire

Magician Lord @ Funworld in Nashua, NH.

U.N. Apologist
    Back in the early 90s when Ground Round had free popcorn you could throw on the floor and a half dozen good arcade cabs I remember seeing my first 4-slot. The two games I remember being blown away by were Magician Lord and Art of Fighting. I was also really impressed that one cabinet had four different games in it. I realize Playchoice 10 came out earlier and had up to ten games in a cab but them being the exact same games I had at home on my NES I never paid it much attention, that and on the PC10 you were paying for time, not how good you were at the game. Anyhow, as as young kid playing those early Neo games I obviously wasn't very good and thus didn't get far on my limited supply of quarters. However the memories of those games stayed in my mind and in the mid 90s when stuff like Metal Slug and KOF '97 came out I picked up the Saturn ports because it's all I could afford at the time, but a few years later in High School I ended up buying a home system and then a MVS Gold Cab. To this day it's still my all time favorite system.

B. Jenet's Firstmate

My first games that got me hooked was at a local cinema. It was a 4 slot and contained mag lord, neo turf masters, burning fight ..........and I can't remember the last one, it was league bowling, nam 1975 or super sidekicks.

Of them all, it was burning fight that got me hooked as I was a big double dragon and golden axe fan.

I've always loved the machine since then.

Neo Bubble Buster

One of the early Fatal Furys, can't remember which one.

I do remember it was Mai's animations that hooked me. Don't judge me, I was a teenager with raging hormones LOL.

bowling alley, 1993

what's this big, red machine with four games

wow that game has some real pretty colors

wow

MAGICIAN LORD

Amano's Drinking Buddy

Aero fighters 2 and shortly after metal slug. I was absolutely hooked since then
    "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."
    3DS Friend code: 4811-7358-8350

Quote Originally Posted by ObeyMyEgo View Post
    ggallegos1 Is a cock sucking faggot. That is all.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Anyhow, as as young kid playing those early Neo games I obviously wasn't very good and thus didn't get far on my limited supply of quarters.
    Yeah, now that you mention it most of the time I was staring at the attract sequence or watching someone else play.

Astra Superstar

Samurai shodown 1&2 and King of the monsters

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

first games I saw were Nam 1975 and Cyber Lip. They were showing NEO GEO AES in a enclosed room with a nice speaker system and a big screen TV. Magician Lord was playing and it blew me away with the graphics and sound. Seeing Samurai Shodown 2 was what made me want one big time though. Later I saw Last blade and Real Bout 2 and it was over. I had a Job and saved up to buy it from a guy that worked at the game store. Best purchase EVER!
    "Ignorance is consent." - Michael Tsarion

Host for Orochi

I don't recall where but the first I remember was ikari warriors then metal slug and samurai shodown the first two in arcades and the latter on the genesis
    Neo Geo AES Serial # 029312 SOLD

Life is an Illusion
    The Magic is Down My Pants.

Art of fighting Those big sprites drew me in the difficulty keep me playing. Still one of my favorite franchises of the neo minus AOF3 i hated it still do to this day.As for were i saw an played it the first time. My grandmas pool hall i cleared out her cash register of all its quarters trying to beat the dang thing. Never did tho....
    Last edited by joe_higashi19; 06-21-2014 at 02:58 PM.

For Shockboxes inserts and printing...
    http://southtown-homebrew.com/
    http://classic-shock.1emu.net/
    http://www.legeekretrogaming.com/geekblog/?page_id=87
    Big Bears site is down 4 now. <-creator of shockbox.
    Please do not steal or illegally sell Razoola's Universe Bios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopz
    We're all like a bunch of sad kids, eyeing the gates of the Wonka factory, hoping they'll crank out just one more chocolate bar.

Cheng's Errand Boy

The Pizza Huts in my area (of which there were three) used to have four slot Neo Geos in each of them. A lot of good times playing Fatal Fury 3, Magical Drop and Metal Slug, even as recently as this decade.

The thing that really got me hooked on SNK was Samurai Shodown 2, though. This game managed to get more play than Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter during the heyday of those games. Lot of fun.

Strangely, not one of those Neo Geos ever had a King of Fighters game in it. I didn't even learn of the King of Fighters series until I saw the Game Boy version of KOF'95 in a Nintendo Power.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Blue's Journey / Raguy that my older half sister organised when I stayed at her place during holidays. I loved it

Neo Bubble Buster

Crossed swords and Samurai Shodown 4 ate more of my lunch money than I did back in the day.

Bashful Neophyte

savage reign in an arcade located on a french campsite where we used to spend our summer holidays

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by dscheepy View Post
    savage reign in an arcade located on a french campsite where we used to spend our summer holidays
    Côte d'Azur???

New Challenger

Art of Fighting, year 1992 in Mallorca. It was hard to find any NG games but it existed, like Breakers or AOF2. KOF series only till KOF96

Rugal's Thug

Good ol Metal Slug me thinks way back although I did get much more addicted to Blazing Star much later.

Paris-Dakar Rally Driver
    Dakar 2003

Yeah, a local bowling alley had a big red in this nasty side room and i'd bounce between Metal Slug and Street Fighter a couple of times after I got done bowling with my dad.
    What most recently sparked my remembrance of NG was a cab in the corner of a pizza place near my parents house in Austin a few years back that had Metal Slug and 1945. The monitor is about shot but I spent at least 45 minutes at that cabinet the first time I noticed it.

NEST Puppet

Metal Slug on MAME

Then got an AES and Metal Slug 3 US version

Now I have MVS!

Thread Information