1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
it was kof 94 for me. it was the first neo game i ever played. and super sidekicks and bust a move and metal slug 2 were all played like crazy by me at my pizza shop but 94 was the first and what got me hooked on the sickness :)

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
KoF 94 for me. Then I met Metal Slug and thought "Hey! this is like Contra on steroids...and you can drive a fucking tank!!" been in love with the series since then (yes, I do love MS4 too). I also saw Aero Fighters 2, and Puzzle bobble but never played them until recently. King of Fighters 95 sealed the deal with Neo Geo for me.

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
For me, it was Fatal Fury. Back in the arcade days, I had to "settle" for Fatal Fury, because most times, the older kids were hogging Street Fighter 2 all day long. I grew to love it though, and when they eventually put in Samurai Showdown 2 and 3 Count Bout, that's all I needed!

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Didn't have many arcades around so what got me hooked was EGM and the reviews of the games

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
First game was Fatal Furty but the games that got me hooked was Metal Slug and Aero Fighter 2.
I didn't even saw that many Neo Geo cabs as a kid but in the late 90s when i was in the military NEO GEO machines where all over the base.
There was even a Cab with Kiazuna Encounter and Bubble Blobber in my barracks

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I saw quite a few 4-slot machines so I got used to seeing multiple games. Usually the games that pulled me in were Samurai Shodown (1 and 2), Bust-a-Move (don't really care for it anymore, a bit burnt out on it), and Aerofighters 2.

Later in college I had a guy in the dorm setup a projector running a Neogeo emulator with Magical Drop 3. I become hooked on that game and later went through the Neogeo library finding several other favorites just by randomly playing strange named games. Windjammers is one that I just played randomly and couldn't play it enough.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Is windjammers the game where you jump back and forth between fields of play shooting projectiles at each other? If so it seems like a really fun game.

oldskool

n00b
I have a interesting story to tell. Back before the Neo Geo arcade system was even released I was just a very young teenager... I used to frequent this arcade when I lived in El Paso, TX called "The Detour" so I knew the people that worked there pretty well. When I went there to tell the guys I was moving to Alaska I was almost in tears.. I was going to miss them - and that arcade.
He said "I want you to come in back to check something out - it's not even out yet but we are going to put it out front here next week. It was a Neo Geo cab and he gave me unlimited credits on it and I played Sengoku like mad - it was really special to me - a young boy to be allowed in back to play on a cab that wasn't out yet - for FREE.

So Sengoku got me into the Neo. The first game that really captivated me on it however was...

MAGICIAN LORD. OH YEAH

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
...Fatal Furty

...Bubble Blobber

hqdefault_zps83592007.jpg

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
The first Neo game that blew my mind and got me hooked was Samurai Sho II. I had experience with other Neo games previously (KOF94/95, Magician Lord) but SamShoII was THE ONE. I was officially Neo addicted after that.

-Stell

Moria/the man

New Challenger
In the game shop they had an enclosed room with a Neo Geo, big screen, and some sweet speakers. I saw magician lord and was blown away by the graphics and sound. Later on in life around 97 I saw Last Blade and Real Bout 2. I decided I had to pick it up.

Pantarou

Zero's Secretary
I saw Screens of Art of Fighting in a Magazine back then and couldn't believe my eyes.Years later i got the chance to play Metal Slug and Last Blade , which blew me away! Finally owning a System myself and also getting into the Real Bout series and King of Fighters did the Rest to make me an Disciple of SNK :) . I still have heated Duels with my Brother and we love the Neo Geo and its gorgeous game library to this day.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
King of Monsters and Fatal Fury Special were the first games that I played on the Neo. My friend bought a Neo Geo when I had a Megadrive...he also had PC engine as well...I was jealous but I still loved the Megadrive, I just wanted a Neo Geo and PC Engine as well.

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
Fatal Fury, unbelievable game back in the day. Was so excited to get the Mega Drive port, then so very disappointed when I played it :crying:.

1 game that sticks out in my mind, was Baseball stars 2, it made me recognise the Neo Geo logo and look out for more.

Can't say I got to see many other Neo Geo games in the UK though, would have loved the to have discovered the likes of Metal Slug as a child.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Was Baseball Stars 2 a thing in the UK? Is Baseball popular over there?

NeoGeoNinja

Baseball has never been a 'thing' over here and neither has Baseball Stars 2. Sorry...

-

-

You get the occasional individual into MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL over here, but they're few and far between...

Hodor

Cheng's Errand Boy
Neo Geo Cup 98. It was cheap and I needed for testing purposes.

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
Was Baseball Stars 2 a thing in the UK? Is Baseball popular over there?

No to both questions, I only ever saw Baseball Stars 2 in 1 arcade, and you never saw baseball on TV, unless it was about 3am if you were lucky :p.

I loved Baseball Stars 2 though, great graphics and sound, yet such a simple game. Hit the ball with the stick :glee:.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
No to both questions, I only ever saw Baseball Stars 2 in 1 arcade, and you never saw baseball on TV, unless it was about 3am if you were lucky :p.
Which was what I thought, therefore I was surprised to hear you saw BBS2 in an arcade at all ;)

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Is windjammers the game where you jump back and forth between fields of play shooting projectiles at each other? If so it seems like a really fun game.

Hmm, not really sure what you mean by fields of play :) Windjammers is a frisbee game where you are playing from a top-down perspective. You have a net, and you are trying to get it past the other person. It is glorified Pong, but with super moves.

NeoGeoNinja

You might mean Battle Flip Shot or Bang Bead, at a guess?