Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

KING of BLING
    [place bling here]

Quote Originally Posted by PolluxTroy View Post
    Fatal Fury 1
    Same. Hotel we'd stop at on family vacation every year had a 4-slot with Fatal Fury 1 and 2 and soccer games.
    ROT IS DELETING PHOTOBUCKET LINKS!... SOON... he'll be changing usernames... xROTx

Famous & Dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by pixeljunkie View Post
    Same. Hotel we'd stop at on family vacation every year had a 4-slot with Fatal Fury 1 and 2 and soccer games.
    Yep, a ghetto theater I used to go to growing up had 1 machine and it had Fatal Fury on it. I thought the graphics and sound were absolutely sick at the time. I later spotted Fatal Fury Special at a local pizza joint. I was hooked.

New Challenger

As teenager I got to buy a non working generic Neo Geo cab with Metal Slug in it. Once I got to play it there was no turning back

Raiden's Valet

I played Samurai Shodown 2 and King of Fighters 95 first...but the one that really got me was Metal Slug 2. Couldn't get enough.

Cham Cham's Banana

hqdefault.jpg

SVC Chaos!

Hardened Shock Trooper

SamSho 2 at college. Nicotine was my fav at the time, back in 95.

Lazy SNK Employee

Samurai Showdown 1 back in 93 on vacation in an arcade in Italy. Had such a blast as a 10 year old kid coz of those graphics which were like a cartoon (back then). Had just an NES and SNES and never seen anything like this before.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Quote Originally Posted by AESGuy View Post
    Samurai Showdown 1 back in 93 on vacation in an arcade in Italy. Had such a blast as a 10 year old kid coz of those graphics which were like a cartoon (back then). Had just an NES and SNES and never seen anything like this before.
    most of the German/Austrian members seem to have stories like this to tell - such a shame there weren't any real arcades for kids to go to due to the laws.

Mr. Big's Thug

Nam was the first I remember playing. After SamSho, I would drop a quarter in every cab I found. After my first time with metal slug, I actually started seeking out cabs, and bought a CD as soon as I could.

When I was a kid working at pizza hut it was Cyber-Lip but did not even know that it was a neo geo game. It was in a convertion cabinet. When I got into coin operated arcade games Metal Slug got be into Noeo Geo again.

Angel's Love Slave

Cab with Nam and Magician Lord.
    "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these?" -- Cave Johnson, CEO Aperture Science

-----Jamma-Nation-X MVS Price Guide ----- mjmjr25's Reference NEO-GEO Price Guide ----- NeoGeoKult Price Guides (Euro) -----

For the latest 3d printing and laser projects check Instagram: @Lions3D

Neo Bubble Buster

I can remember play Fatal Fury at an arcade down in Sea Isle City NJ on the boardwalk. I loved that game, the stage with the rain totally blew me away. then I noticed other SNK cabs with different games and got hooked.. Never could afford Neo AES untill 2000, then 2003 got into a relationship, broke up and lost everything had to sell I had in the break up. Now im finally getting my stuff back, although at higher prices now.

Lazy SNK Employee

Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    most of the German/Austrian members seem to have stories like this to tell - such a shame there weren't any real arcades for kids to go to due to the laws.
    Yeah. Instead of real arcades we have gotten Novoline machines where you can "win" money. I really don't get it what people find facinating about a cab with some flashing lights which screems "SCAM SCAM - feed me with your money"
    Last edited by AESGuy; 02-26-2016 at 03:20 AM.

Rugal's Thug

For me it was King of Fighters 95 (initially on the Saturn), and then the other kof games from there.

95 is still the one I play the most

Krauser's Shoe Shiner

It was Fatal Fury for me I guess. It was a diversion from SF2 and I loved how SNK drew the sprites. It was that look that initially drew me towards the games.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

NEST Puppet

Baseball Stars, it's always been my favorite. One of those rare games I can play over and over and enjoy just as much each time.
    Great Sellers/Buyers:Alan, Kenny boy, Liquid Snake, biocat, DBS, tonyvortex, Kiselgof, rimm_rs, Freelancer, BIG BEAR, showdownfan666, msu89dawgs, NexWave Video Games & Entertainment (x3), guyverracing, 16-bit, jennety, Highlander67, Adam Gallant, abc_kid, NEOFREAK9189, mannerbot, Electroman, Ron McRae

New Challenger

Sengoku 2 on a TV of a local shop..1993..

(no need to shout)
    Because Rot is Watching YOU!

Well after salvating over the console reviews back in the early 90's ...looking at photo's of the machine & line-up i just had to get one!!...

So back then , a friend who had a Games shop ' Go games' in Batley..got a Neo geo Gold system for me, my two home Games were AS0 II & Sengoku...i was instantly hooked!!.
    1991...got it on release, my favourite games system out of everything i have owned.
    I live for this moment here...

Previous NGH installments!!!.
    Latest NGH additions!!.
    Back in Black....

yeah he did that

For me it was World Heroes in the Arcades. Then Samurai Shodown which solidified the Neo Geo. They both might of been in the same machine.
    NEO GEO AES serial#338685
    NEO GEO CDZ serial#24611

HATERS GONNA HATE

Bashful Neophyte

All of the Metal Slugs got me hooked...and probably Blazing Star.

Neo Bubble Buster

Mine was Samurai Shodown 2 in a 4 cart cabinet at a local grocery store. I used to ride my bike to the store just to play it.

War Room Troll

The same for me.

Rugal's Thug

In England there weren't that many MVS arcade machines and they seemed expensive so beyond playing AOF2 and FF a few times I never got hooked on anything back in the day.

So mine was MOTW. When i first bought the system I got that on MVS and a load of other games (prices were lower in those days). But MOTW was the one I played the most. Just the atmosphere and the music and the gameplay together were special. I haven't actually played it for maybe 4 years now but back then yes... MOTW

Quote Originally Posted by jbeedham View Post
    For me it was World Heroes in the Arcades. Then Samurai Shodown which solidified the Neo Geo. They both might of been in the same machine.
    Proof that World Heroes isn't that bad
    Last edited by Missile; 03-28-2016 at 02:30 PM.

WA6TJE

The first Neo game that hooked me was the original Fatal Fury.

There was a big red in the 7-11 near my school at the time it came out. I was already big into SFII, which was clearly the better game, but the FF character designs, music, and story elements had me dropping quarters until I beat it many times. Andy's design/moveset plus Geese falling out that window are the things that really hooked me.

My roommate at the time was buying Gamest magazine every month, so he had been reading all about Fatal Fury 2 a while before it came out and was super-hyped about it. Then it showed up in a big red in a Japanese market near the apartment, and we were both blown away. We'd already been playing the first AOF on that same cab quite a bit, though SFII at a nearby 7-11 was still our main game. Until Fatal Fury 2.

About one week of dropping mass amounts of money into FF2, and we decided to combine resources and buy a homecart system. Street Fighter basically became a thing of the past. We got a slightly used homecart system, extra old style joystick, used FF1 & AoF1 carts, and FF2 new. That pretty much cleaned both of us out for months. And we played FF2...and later, FFS...more or less non-stop most hours of the day or night.

So I'd say Fatal Fury was the first game to hook me, and Fatal Fury 2 was the point of no return.

King's Dry Cleaner

My first real exposure (and hook) was King of Fighters '94 back when it was brand new.
    It arrived exactly at the right time, with an MVS cab ready to fuel an entire summer break. We must've put crazy hours on it with two close friends, set up with a person to each character on a team. It was even better when we faced off other opponent trios! To this day it's still my favorite in the series, enhanced by those memories. Even taking that away, I was instantly in love with the way it played, looked, and sounded (the OST is a constant fixture in my playlist).
    When '94 Re-Bout came out for PS2, it took me a fraction of a second to decide to order it. Just not the same. But! Finally after 20 years I own the real thing at last!

Thread Information