1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

chimera

New Challenger
The game that first got me hooked was magician lord as well. The AES version to be exact because that version has check points. The MVS version spawns you were you died and kinda takes the challenge away.

The second game that had me hooked has to be Last Blade. I still stay up all night playing it.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
The game that first got me hooked was magician lord as well. The AES version to be exact because that version has check points. The MVS version spawns you were you died and kinda takes the challenge away.

The second game that had me hooked has to be Last Blade. I still stay up all night playing it.

There are MVS versions that also have save points AFAIK. This game has two versions like Ninja Combat and some others.

My earliest memory was of a candy cab outside a retail chain we used to have here in Canada called Zellers but I don't recall what game it was so the first game I really remember loving was King of Monsters. It was the Godzilla game I always wanted but never got.. until Wayforward ripped of KoM whole cloth for a GBA Godzilla game which despite that still looks pretty sweet.

Again for Magician Lord. Probably due not only to the impressive graphics and sounds, but also the fact that Ghosts N' Goblins was one of my favorite, first arcade games I had ever played. I guess the I had a thing for difficult platform games with a dark feel.

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
While Metal Slug was my first 2020 Super Baseball was probably a really close 2nd. I played it first on SNES and really liked it. I then later found out it was a Neo-Geo game and it blew me away how much better it was than the SNES port. I still will put in hours playing as the Tropical Girls.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Mine was Nam 1975 at the local shop. Eventually got a aes gold with baseball stars.
Was like having a wife with the girl friend on the side.
First Neo Geo I played was probably NAM-1975 or Fatal Fury. If you start with the newer games, you might end up being not as interested in the older ones.

crow

n00b
I got into sports games first. The first two I played were Neo Turf Masters and Baseball Stars 2 and I got hooked.

Voodoohead

Morden's Lackey
played super sidekicks and metal slug 2 in the arcade with a buddy...always kicked his butt...hope he doesnt read this. :lolz:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
first time playing Ninja Combat in Chinatown in Houston in 1992............I was like "Holy Crap"............I wish I can buy one

Samurai Showdown II was mine...love the defense aspect of the game...Its so much different than capcom fighters. It was the first aes game I played. My buddy bought a neo geo and I said "wtf is a neo geo (pronounced gheeo)" lol. He had samurai showdown 2 on it and I played it and realized it was an exact replica of the arcade and I was hooked! I just never really had the money to spend on a collection as my ex wife used to spend it all lol

grey

n00b
As a kid I used to play Samurai Shodown at the local Arena. Lots of great memories.

Unfortunately, my parents didn't like video games and we had to make do with a nes.

Bing147

n00b
Metal Slug was my favorite arcade game growing up. Also played a fair amount of Nam 1975 and Samurai Shodown II. Those were the ones that introduced me to Neo Geo.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
I always loved Sam Sho 2. When I was a kid, I thought the scaling was so cool and the thought you could fight with an animal blew my mind. When I played it, though, I had no concept that this was a "Neo-Geo" game, I just liked it.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I don't really have many memories of big reds in arcades, I remember seeing them at the time, but I was never big into fighters. Early 2000s I built a ghetto Supergun just to play an original NBA Jam board, which was one of my favorite games in my teens. 2007 rolls around and I bought a candy cab and somehow discovered this site filled with doll fuckers and murderers, but I think it was either MS1 or MSX that got me hooked. I later sold everything, but am slowly re acquiring it all.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
One day, while waiting for my turn to play Street Fighter 2, I decided to play Art of Fighting on a big red. I thought the visual damage fighters got was amazing. Samurai Shodown 2 was also on the cab and I began wanting to play the Neo over Street fighter

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
It's hard for me to choose which game had the most influence on me falling in love with the Neo. I remember playing Baseball Stars Professional, Ninja Combat, Crossed Swords, Cyber Lip, Sengoku, Super Spy, and King of the Monsters in 1990 at a deli / arcade in my hometown. They would always get the latest games. My weekly allowance would usually get spent there or saved up for NES carts, hah.

Acromite53

n00b
Mine is King of Fighters 98. I initially played it at a local gamestore. This was the game that convinced me and pushed me toward buying an AES and the game. :) I'm still impressed with the animation, speed, and colors. What a great and fun game!

Krusher

n00b
Samurai Shodown, Local market was next to a bubble bobble..
Then I bought a neo mini had to sell for bills. Now i just bought another neo :)

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Samurai Shodown II, at a local game store (long since closed). I remember the backgrounds and animation being so vivid. Used to dream about saving my lunch money to one day buy a Neo Geo AES. Now 20 years later...

SumerNivek

n00b
Almost ashamed to say, but it would be King of the Monsters. :p My little brother was on a Godzilla kick in the very early 90's, and got me to get a bit into the movies. Once we saw this game, it was over!