1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

lord7289

n00b
I think League Bowling was the first Neo Geo game I ever saw and intrigued me, it was shown on a UK show called GamesMaster which looking back was all very weird. The expense of the console meant that was as close as I got to it back then.

Luckily it came in the AES bundle that I recently picked up. In the meantime I spent a lot of time playing emulated Neo Drift Out and now I'm hooked on the real deal Samurai Shodown 2.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
^^ GamesMaster looks awesome. The 90s!

Ever watched GamesWorld?

There was a very annoying chap ripoff in Germany, too...
(notice the Neo Geo Sticks they're using for their "Gamechairs", Min. 23 for example)

lord7289

n00b
I was just about in high school when GamesMaster was big, we’d always talk about the Neo Geo challenges the next day.
Only one kid claimed to have an AES, we didn’t believe him at the time. I remember seeing the stick and thinking, “Why would you ever need as many as 4 buttons?” Well, now I know!

GamesWorld…I think that was on cable/sky which I didn’t have at the time. I caught a few episodes that friends recorded for me on VHS (along with WWF Royal Rumbles…I was young!)

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
i've wanted a Neo Geo AES since it was released, think i was 9.
however the game that made me freak and go buy my 2 slot and get into MVS was when i saw a gameplay video of Crossed Swords, shortly thereafter i joined this forum, got my 2 slot MVS, a Unibios and its been history ever since.

Honestly, my main motivation to get a NEO GEO CD is Crossed Swords II, its my understanding that its only on the CD system
other than that my first NEO GEO game ever played was probably Metal Slug if i remember correctly.

mr.2jz

n00b
I think it was Cyber Lip that really got me hooked on the NeoGeo system.

Walked into my local Compucentre (some Southern Ontario GTA people may remember that store), seen it on display, and had a quick chance to play it.

From that point I was pretty much hooked, but as young kid, I just couldn't afford the sticker shock on the game, let alone the console. But I did walk out of there with one of those NeoGeo folder type brochures. Still have it somewhere. :)

Still enjoy that game today.

kraquepype

Armored Scrum Object
Fatal Fury. In a cab in a pizza shop I went to with my pop to pick up food. I couldn't have been older than 7 or 8, couldn't beat Richard Meyer but the experience is forever etched. I wish they still had cabs in pizza joints...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
KOF'98 but what actually got me interested in the first place was a Gameboy version of KOF'96.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
I would have to say the original samurai shodown. My cousin and i used to dump quarters into it when we first found it in thr arcade. I was younger, 10 or so and i found it badass yet creepy even with gen'an being some freakish version of edward scissorhands. the tone and music still pulls me back to those days. There was just nothing like it i had seen at the time.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Ill always remember compucentre. When i was a lil dude i went there to get spy hunter for coleco, out of stock. Manger saw I was upset and said on his way home he would go to another store and bring it in for me the next day, and he did. I was like 6 or so.

I think it was Cyber Lip that really got me hooked on the NeoGeo system.

Walked into my local Compucentre (some Southern Ontario GTA people may remember that store), seen it on display, and had a quick chance to play it.

From that point I was pretty much hooked, but as young kid, I just couldn't afford the sticker shock on the game, let alone the console. But I did walk out of there with one of those NeoGeo folder type brochures. Still have it somewhere. :)

Still enjoy that game today.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I love schmups so Pulstar set the hook and Blazing Star reeled me in. It's pretty awesome that NG Dev Team is still developing great looking schmups today on 25 year old hardware.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury Special. It is also my favorite neo-geo title to this day.

Played Samsho at a pizza hut and knew it was special.

When arcades were dying there was one arcade left and it was always completely abandoned. Me and my friend would get dropped off and have a run of the place, we discovered Metal Slug...

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
The first Neo Geo game that I played was Fatal Fury, simply because the Street Fighter 2 machines were always occupied. The game that got me hooked on Neo was KoF 94, which is still one of my faves today.

GEO9875

n00b
Either Metal Slug 1 or 2, im a big fan of contra and that game was like Contra on stereoids. Really wish MG could get a new HD game.

Hitokiri

Crossed Swords Squire
for me it was Art of Fighting, the scaling effect and the audio really got me.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I remember when I used to visit Round Table Pizza with my dad when I was a kid, and he'd give me $1 to play the arcade machines while we waited for the pizza.

The first MVS cabinet I ever saw was a 4 slot with Ninja Combat, some baseball game I can't remember, NAM-1975, and Magician Lord.

The very first game I played was Ninja Combat.
The one that made me want a cabinet for the first time was Magician Lord.