1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
My first real exposure (and hook) was King of Fighters '94 back when it was brand new.
It arrived exactly at the right time, with an MVS cab ready to fuel an entire summer break. We must've put crazy hours on it with two close friends, set up with a person to each character on a team. It was even better when we faced off other opponent trios! To this day it's still my favorite in the series, enhanced by those memories. Even taking that away, I was instantly in love with the way it played, looked, and sounded (the OST is a constant fixture in my playlist).
When '94 Re-Bout came out for PS2, it took me a fraction of a second to decide to order it. Just not the same. But! Finally after 20 years I own the real thing at last! :D

I've never played a single NeoGeo game until November of last year, aside from Puzzle Bobble 1 & 2, and a little bit of Agressors of Dark Kombat, Kabuki Clash and Twinkle Star Sprites.

nanash1

n00b
Blazing Star. It's still my favorite shooter and the only one I'm remotely good at. I played Samurai Spirits 2 before on PC, but at that time I didn't know the first thing about Neo Geo and thought it was a PC game (lol).

Paolo

n00b
It was a lot of kits, not a single game :)

waku waku 7
street hoop
neo turf master
striker 1945
kof 97
kof 96
savage reign
and a couple of metal slug loose

even if i hadn't a cmvs i took them. i waited 3 months for test them eehehheh

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Art of Fighting
And it's still my favorite.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
even if i hadn't a cmvs i took them. i waited 3 months for test them eehehheh

The 1st neo geo game that hooked you was a bunch of games that you waited 3 months to play? What a stupid fuckin' dago.

gtmartini

Rugal's Thug
The first was in the year 1994 I think, maybe 1995. It was Art of fighting (probably the 2nd game) on a Arcade machine in Montreal Canada. I've played a little of the game that time, I most wanted to beat King with a special attack so her t-shirt would be torn apart and show her bra :). After that I don't remember playing other Neo Geo game, but got back to it thanks to Metal slug last year. and now I can finally play a lot of Neo Geo.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
The first was in the year 1994 I think, maybe 1995. It was Art of fighting (probably the 2nd game) on a Arcade machine in Montreal Canada. I've played a little of the game that time, I most wanted to beat King with a special attack so her t-shirt would be torn apart and show her bra :). After that I don't remember playing other Neo Geo game, but got back to it thanks to Metal slug last year. and now I can finally play a lot of Neo Geo.

Good thing you bought all those games long before you got anything to play them on, amirite??

gtmartini

Rugal's Thug
Good thing you bought all those games long before you got anything to play them on, amirite??

lol no, I bought It now, I meant I now have a lot to play because I never played any at that time. If I already had played them I would not play them now, there are too much good games to play before playing it through a second time. At the 90's I was a lot into Street fighter and Mortal Kombat, they were more accessible to have one at home (in a port for Sega Genesis) than a Neo Geo console.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Arcade was Shock troopers and Neo Turf Masters. AES was Magician Lord, the pixels were amazing back then.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
the first neo game that really got me into snk was kof 95. in the school yard there was a rival debate on which game was better, my favourite game of all time (at the time) street fighter alpha or this other game they were calling kof 95.

i thought to my self that there was no way that any game could be better than sf alpha. so after school we went to the arcade to finally see this so called better than sf alpha game, and when i first saw it, i was very impressed by the realistic yet very manga/anime art style, and the variety of great looking characters. i couldn't believe sam seed the master from jacky chan's drunken master was a playable character (chen). and kyo also caught my eye.

and we were amazed that terry and andy from the fatal fury games were also playable charters. so although i still didn't think it was better than street fighter alpha, i really took a liking to kof 95 and accepted snk as a true competitor to capcom.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
SNK Vs. CAPCOM for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. still has the best minigames on the system.

Mikekim

n00b
Back in the day one of our local pubs had a 4 slot, so
Viewpoint
Metal Slug
World Heroes II
Neo Drift Out
took most of my available beer money...

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Puzzle Bobble or Mutation Nation. My local pizza hut had a cool 1-slot MVS arcade that had these two games in it. I would always play on it whenever I dined in there.

Over the years the cabinet started to fail, with the first being the monitor looking like complete dog shit and then the sound going out. Later on the 2player controls got smashed in somehow.

Then around 2010 I wanted to take a picture of it for posterity and it was gone like the wind.

Rest in peace 1 slot mvs cabinet wherever you are.

Last edited:

darknezz19

n00b
Local roller skate rink had a Samsho in it around around when Street Fighter 2 was king shit. Wasn't hooked on the game but that's what introduced me to the system and got me hooked.

ovalfastlx

Kuroko's Training Dummy
King of the fighter 94, and Metal Slug are games that hooked me up. Also the arcade cab was different than the rest and I always thought it having multiple games was so cool.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
Had to be samsho and Metal Slug.

Playing both those games brings me back to simpler times.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
How did a 1 slot have 2 games in it?

Got me there. I should've clarified it was a 1 slot cabinet but with a 2 slot motherboard. The cabinet was one of those small ones with like a 13" crt?.

Originally it had just puzzle bobble, but soon after it had mutation nation as well. The marque however didn't have two places for marques, but only one. Maybe the operator fucked up and put a 1-slot marque

Maybe it was a conversion, but it did have the side art as well.

Last edited:

kaironman

n00b
Super Sidekicks 2 in a machine with retroprojector and seats. Amazing.

Apart from that, Metal Slug 1&2, Shock Troopers, Puzzle Bobble 2, Gapporin, Battle Flip Shot, Windjammers, Neo Turf Masters, Neo Drift Out, Super Sidekicks 2... Everything that was not a 1vs1 fighter.

bello

Crossed Swords Squire
10 Year Member
Mine was Fatal Fury,Before that i used to play Street Fighter 2 but then i saw Fatal Fury in arcade,I was impressed by the graphic and gameplay!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...then i saw Fatal Fury in arcade,I was impressed by the graphic and gameplay!

Yes, I know this feeling, you captured it perfectly. I'd only add, that also Terry's bitter vengeance backstory, briefly insinuated in the atmospheric intro, hooked me instantly. It made the whole experience dirtier and more cinematic than of any SFII character. South Town's crime scene made all the difference, you could almost hear the white lines being sucked in.