1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I played world heroes, first part and second, was unjustly forgotten saga...

As much charm as the World Heroes quartet has, one will have to admit, that there are at least half a dozen better fighters available for the Neo Geo and that it takes months, even years to master one of them, let alone the whole package. So I'd argue if "unjustly" is the right word. Players forgot about it being busy with the competition and that is fully justified regarding how advanced it was.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Mine was shock troopers. I knew about it from my old days playing Neo Geo with that "unique" multi-game in one Arcade cabinet at Pizza Hut down the road from me. Coming home, I ended up falling into CSP2 emulation and soon enough I was into Neo Geo, etc. Shock Troopers will continue to be my favorite along with Baseball Stars 2 and Neo Turf Masters.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
As much charm as the World Heroes quartet has, one will have to admit, that there are at least half a dozen better fighters available for the Neo Geo and that it takes months, even years to master one of them, let alone the whole package. So I'd argue if "unjustly" is the right word. Players forgot about it being busy with the competition and that is fully justified regarding how advanced it was.

well analysed.and i completely agree.people just don't have the time to waste on every fighting game on the neo. they would pick a few and learn how to really play it. so it's not really unjust if games like world heroes or fighting history dynamite don't get much spot light.

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
what got me hook was ninja combat, I Remember it like yesterday.
walking into the video rental shop and looking at final fight, and next to it was a neo geo mvs with a game that lets you change your character after every stage. at the time I never saw a game like that, and I was hooked.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
My first Neo-Geo game that got me hooked was Magician Lord. I also remember it like yesterday, then when the right time hit, about 1 month after it was released on AES, I had my uncle find the Japanese AES for me, and get that, plus a JPN AES Controller so I had 2 joysticks along with my Silver AES, and a JPN Magician Lord! Holy shit was I happy when he told me it was in the trunk of his car the day he found it. Oooooh shit, it was on! I hooked that fucker up so damn fast, and I turned on the system and I played Magician Lord for at least an hour before my mom said we were going back home, and I was begging her to hurry up and get my ass home to play that damn thing, and I still remember peering over my left shoulder at it as we drove all the way back home, even as we went though the drive though of Jack n the Box, I didn't even want to eat! I just wanted to get home and play the AES!

When we got home, I hooked it up to my tv and I used the stereo headphone jack on the front to get stereo sound, and I was in 7th heaven! Wow, those were some awesome times! I invited a good friend over back then, and we must have played that game for like 20 hours straight. That is how my Neo-Geo addiction began... and it never ended. I took a small haitus from the Neo from the end of '99 until around '02. Then I just could not stand it anymore... had to get back into it. Been playin' Neo ever since.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
My first Neo-Geo game that got me hooked was Magician Lord. I also remember it like yesterday, then when the right time hit, about 1 month after it was released on AES, I had my uncle find the Japanese AES for me, and get that, plus a JPN AES Controller so I had 2 joysticks along with my Silver AES, and a JPN Magician Lord! Holy shit was I happy when he told me it was in the trunk of his car the day he found it. Oooooh shit, it was on! I hooked that fucker up so damn fast, and I turned on the system and I played Magician Lord for at least an hour before my mom said we were going back home, and I was begging her to hurry up and get my ass home to play that damn thing, and I still remember peering over my left shoulder at it as we drove all the way back home, even as we went though the drive though of Jack n the Box, I didn't even want to eat! I just wanted to get home and play the AES!

When we got home, I hooked it up to my tv and I used the stereo headphone jack on the front to get stereo sound, and I was in 7th heaven! Wow, those were some awesome times! I invited a good friend over back then, and we must have played that game for like 20 hours straight. That is how my Neo-Geo addiction began... and it never ended. I took a small haitus from the Neo from the end of '99 until around '02. Then I just could not stand it anymore... had to get back into it. Been playin' Neo ever since.

So, whats wrong with your neck and back that prevents you from working, yet you can stand and play a mint big red cab?

Fakk2

So, whats wrong with your neck and back that prevents you from working, yet you can stand and play a mint big red cab?

Oh everyone stop what they are doing now, the crackhead has started talking again! lol!

Fakk2

Crackaddict HonkeyTonk and "other" Troll boys, just so you know, your now on my ignore list. Anyone attempting to derail topics here, or troll, will thus be added, and I will no longer see your troll BS, nor will I reply. Then eventually you will all disappear, and I will not be bothered by your nonsense any longer, thus making this place the website it should be in the first place. taa taa! :)

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Crackaddict HonkeyTonk and "other" Troll boys, just so you know, your now on my ignore list. Anyone attempting to derail topics here, or troll, will thus be added, and I will no longer see your troll BS, nor will I reply. Then eventually you will all disappear, and I will not be bothered by your nonsense any longer, thus making this place the website it should be in the first place. taa taa! :)

You could prbably ignore our "monkey muslim president" too, right?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

::Proceeds to block everything except for "FS" threads.::

"Disability."

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I wish this thread had a poll so we could see what game lured the most people to the Neo Geo. My gues would be Metal Slug.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Troll boys, just so you know, your now on my ignore list. Anyone attempting to derail topics here, or troll, will thus be added, and I will no longer see your troll BS, nor will I reply.
Hey, can you add me to the list as well? I don't want you to read my posts.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I wish this thread had a poll so we could see what game lured the most people to the Neo Geo. My gues would be Metal Slug.

that's a great idea.though i think a lot of people here got into the neo before the slug era. i'm going to say samurai shodown is the one that may win a poll.

ChrisB

Another Striker
Game that got me started with the neo geo was KOF 94 and Baseball Stars 2, graphics on Baseball stars 2 blew me away especially the intro

violentluke

New Challenger
Our small walmart had samurai shodown and I would play that while my mom shopped around. I couldn't get enough of it. Also until recently I realized aero fighters 2 was the game I played all the time at my grandpa's bar.
Never knew they were neo geo games or that the neo geo even existed back then.

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
Sengoku when it was new at the Arcades.

Last edited:

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Samurai Showdown 1 for me. I played it in the arcade, and owned it on Genesis. Such a great game!

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
1st NG game I was hooked on was Fatal Fury. 2-on-1 against the computer (so I could have a shot to win) was pretty cool. Still is, too.