1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Magician Lord and then follow by Samurai Shodown.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
I had seen Neo Geo's around before as a kid at random arcades and the like, but the first one I ever played was at a pizza parlor in the bay area that my grandparents used to take me to. Me and my siblings, always being enamored with anything even remotely video game related begged our grandfather for some quarters to play some of the arcade games they had off in the corner of the store, I spent my time playing the SNK vs. Capcom 2 cab they had, but the cabinet that really stood out to me was the Neo Geo MVS that was running Metal Slug 4, from that point on whenever we visited the parlor with my grandparents those quarters went into the Neo Geo and I became mildly obsessed with the Slug series

Recently my grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimers, my grandfather does his best to help her but the bottom line is that we don't visit them as often as we used to, and I can't remember the last time we went to the pizza parlor or if it's even still there anymore, let alone if they still have that cab. It was my grandmother who originally found the place, and it became in some ways something special, and one of the fondest memories of the place was getting to spend quarters on that Neo Geo cab. I bought my converted cab (stupidly I might add) and a copy of MS4 so that in some small way I could relive that magic

It's odd the kind of things you get sentimental about when things are hard emotionally, but for me it was MS4 and a beat up old cab at a pizza shop that got to me, and ultimately got me hooked on all things Neo Geo

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
awesome answers, what came up more SS or Aof? They seem to be most common

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
The very first Neo thing I played was WAY back in 94-95. A dedicated Samurai Shodown cab. I was hooked instantly, and it began me down the long road of SNK madness.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Bust a move and Samurai Shodown at local arcades and pizza joints ate so, so, so many quarters.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
9u8upuny.jpg

For it's time Mag Lord was quite a revelation.

"It talks. This motherfucking game just talked shit on me.

That boss is getting double wrecked."

-overheard @ Family Fun Center Clairemont Mesa, circa '90.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Nam-1975 and Magician Lord were the first two games I ever saw for the Neo Geo (when they were new). They are what made me realize how crazy powerful the system was. But it was out of reach and I never played them (or anything Neo Neo) until more recently.
The first game I played and the game that made me want to 'dive in' was Mutation Nation.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
As a fan of shmups I recall playing Aero Fighters in the arcade. At the time I didn't know Bust a Move was also a NG title. To this day those are still great genres. On the other hand I continue to not be much of a fan of fighting games. You have to memorize too much to make them playable.

One of the first Neo cabs I remember playing was a 2-slot I found at some hotel in Florida circa 1994/1995. It had Aero Fighters 2 and Bust-A-Move. Great combo!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Almost 16 years ago I encountered a Neo in a camping site's kiosk in France. It had two games, a King of Fighters and a Metal Slug. It's been too long ago and I was too young to know which it were (couldn't even understand English back then) - but I think it were KOF96 and MS1. Good times.

Played some ports on the PS1 when I got older. Then started to look into the real hardware about 2 years ago - and the magic was back ^^

Last edited:

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
Very long time ago ... but I can remember my first game neogeo I played ... Nam1975 very appreciate and exciting :)
No money for bought that time and only rent for playing in the shop. I dreamed one day, I must have AES at home ;)

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
The cut scene in NAM when the huge plane was comming was unreal for me...

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Sam Sho 2, AES. Thanks again Jorgito!! Where ever you are, lol

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Aero Fighters 2 and Metal Slug 3 at arcades

I remember the first time I played Aero Fighters 2 at a restaurant my family went to as a kid. Sure, I always ended up blowing all my quarters before the end, but a shmup fan was made. Shout out to their knights of the round machine too, for a touch of heresy.

SuperMegaUltra

Geese's Thug
The first Neo•Geo arcade game I played was Top Hunter.
The first Neo•Geo arcade game I beat was Metal Slug X.
The first Neo•Geo home games I bought were Metal Slug X and Top Hunter.

JasonToddLives

Armored Scrum Object
The first Neo game that got me hooked was Samurai Shodown II at the local pizza shop. It didn't take long for the money spent on food to games ratio to shift to the latter.

Phaenos

n00b
For me it was KoF '94. I played the hell out of Street Fighter II, and when I popped a quarter into KoF for the first time and realized I had three fighters in my roster for every match, I began a love affair with SNK that never ended.