1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
Mine was Nam 1975 at the local shop. Eventually got a aes gold with baseball stars.
Was like having a wife with the girl friend on the side.

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
When I was real young, I used to play Neo Geo games and not even realize it: Puzzle Bobble, Magical Drop II, 3 Count Bout, World Heroes, Art of Fighting, Cyber Lip, Thrash Rally... all these machines at pizza places and malls and stuff.

The very first Neo Game I ever remember playing and thought "this is special" was Samurai Shodown II.

After that, I did some research and found out all my favorite games happen to be Neo Geo titles... Then, when I started playing KOF 98, I knew I'd one day own a machine.

Thankfully, I later found out about how to build a CMVS and things got a lot easier :)

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Sengoku at the Arcade. It was so impressed by it when it came out !

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Metal Slug 2. Yeah, I was influenced by the later games at first.

The first MVS game I ever got was Metal Slug 3, what a classic. It's still one of my favorite Neo games. I then got into AES and I found an appreciation for the older Neo titles. 1990 sure was full of weird titles, it's like SNK and ADK were tossing random ideas around hoping something would stick. Eventually SNK found their game, with 1991's Fatal Fury. The Neo sure quickly became a fighting system after Fatal Fury. It just makes the 1990 lineup all the more unique and strange.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Art of Fighting
Dat scaling effect and facial bruising.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
FATAL FURY 2 SPECIAL.

Then, SAM SHO 2.

KOF 94~7.

And Finally,

SAM SHO 4.

Shit was The Big Red Crack Machine.

It got more quarters than the CAPCOM Fighters.

And I LOVED it.

:drool:

Last edited:

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
Puzzle Bobble and the first Metal Slug got me started.

While we are sharing stories though...
Back when Nintendo discontinued the Virtual Boy, I remember picking up a copy of Panic Bomber in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart. I thought that it was a great game but would have been better in color and multiplayer. When I started looking into getting an arcade machine and found out that Panic Bomber had an MVS release, I knew I had to get this machine.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
Fatal Fury, i never seen a game like it until then the graphics and design of the characters just blew me away.
It was at an arcade but actually running on the AES that the guy had in front of the counter, been hooked on
NeoGeo ever sense.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Samurai Shodown wowed me and Bust-A-Move got me hooked. One of the first games I remember reading about in a magazine and coveting was Kabuki Klash, because it never got any non-Neo console ports. I finally have the game on MVS. It's mediocre compared to many of the other fighters on the system, but the nostalgia makes me pop it in every now and then.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
SamSho!!!! Then KOF 95'

For me it was Baseball Stars Professional. My little brother and I would beg our parents to rent the Neo from the local video rental store. Hi-Score Video it was called. We were blown away from the start up screen. REAL! DYNAMIC! BASEBALL STARS PROFESSIONAL! We couldn't beleve it. A video game that talked! It was miles beyond our NES (which I still play too!) We would have frends sleep over and have tournaments all night long. Magician Lord was awesome too.

LlorensBlood

Mr. Big's Thug
My first SNK game was Soccer Brawl, I remember it impressed me because it was different than other games I played before. I spent a lot of money on this arcade!

By the way, the first game I saw in a magazine was Magician Lord (before playing Soccer Brawl), I started to save money in order to buy that amazing system.

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
League bowling was the first game I remember playing, but it wasn't until I discovered Fatal Fury (ironically at a bowling alley) that I was hooked. Every time I saw a cab I HAD to play at least one game on it. Good times.

DPsx7

Banned
As a fan of shmups I recall playing Aero Fighters in the arcade. At the time I didn't know Bust a Move was also a NG title. To this day those are still great genres. On the other hand I continue to not be much of a fan of fighting games. You have to memorize too much to make them playable.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Fatal Fury. But... via the Megadrive. You didn't have fucking pizza 'parlours' and fast food 'joints' containing delicious arcade cabs, down the corner of every street, here in the uk, in the 90s. We had to make do with Chicago Town bullshit, the occasional Dominos/Pizza Hut and Megadrive and SNES ports of Capcom & SNK arcade titles.

So, yeah... Fatal Fury on MD and Fatal Fury 2 on SNES put SNK & NeoGeo on the map for me, back in the day...

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
King of the monsters - and from a magazine review alone, not even seeing it run The size of the sprites just blew me away.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The local arcade had a 2 slot with Fatal Fury and King of the Monsters. My brother and I always played together and Fatal Fury was the only fighting game I've seen that let us gang up on the enemy.

World Heroes also has the distinction of being the first arcade game that I've managed to 1cc, right in front of a crowd.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
On paper ( mags ) - Ghost Pilots. The visuals were astounding back then!

On the current system - Alpha Mission 2. It was the first I ever played.