Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neo-geo-mvs View Post
    Back in 92/93 but only in Oxford Street London HMV. I used to look at them and dream. Only remember Viewpoint but there was a good selection at the time
    wow. i only started going there around 95/96 so i missed it by a couple of years but i didn't really know what a neo geo was back in 92/93 so probably wouldn't of known what i was looking at anyway.

Cham Cham's Banana

Probably Metal Slug but personally Last Blade is what I still play all the time.

Bashful Neophyte

Growing up in Panama, i realized now it was a melting pot of asian cultures, a lot of toys i had growing up were original imported from japan hard to get merch, type of rarity.

I don’t even remember how i went over to a friends house but i know he was big into japanese culture, and when i walked inside there it was the MVS console in all its glory, they were playing Art of Fighting 2, seeing how the game zoomed in and out was mind blowing to me at that time, ever since then Kings stage BGM got stuck on my head, they never let me play it, just watch.

Then in 95 i went to the. Fort davis carnival and remember seeing the arcade section, one of the games was Fighters history dynamite, that looping demo got stuck on my head also. Fast forward to 98, i discovered neo geo emulation and first games i finally played were art of fighting 2 and fighters history dynamite which then i found out it was called karnovs revenge. I had fatal fury on sega but never thought it was snk until i started getting roms. Been hooked ever since.

New Challenger

My friend who has been a collector for years finally got a Neo Geo AES and asked me if I knew anything about them. I was like, well not really but I know they did arcade stuff because I had seen the 4 game Cabs at the arcade auction. I also had seen a Neo Geo Pocket one time with MS and that's all I really knew about it. He invited me over to play his AES one day in all it's arcade like RGB glory and we played Metal Slug, Garou, and NTM. I was immediately hooked, when I touched the clicky arcade stick, and just saw the build quality and massive carts. I began the search myself and within about 6-9 months I had saved up enough and found an NA AES with UNIBIOS installed. Then I sat down when I got it and played Magician's Lord, Fatal Fury, and Samurai Shodown for probably two hours. I've been hooked ever since.

For me, the game that made me get my AES in the early 90's was Samurai Shodown II. Got that and World Heroes 2 Jet brand new right away. This was just after SSII was released, so we are probably talking early 95.

A couple years later, when I had not got any new games beyond those first 2, I played Spinmasters at an arcade in Seaside Heights, New Jersey, and have been an addict ever since. I was fortunate enough to be early enough getting back into it to get King of Fighters 98, Metal Slug X and Shock Troopers directly from SNK.

SSVS Special Plz...
    Buying & Selling that
    Never get's old.

Fatal fury 2, if not for that game I probably would never even bothered with future titles
    Its the beginning of an unforgettable event

Timid Neo Newbie

Fatal Fury 2 and Samurai Showdown got me hooked for the 1st time playing on the Neo Geo MVS.

Bashful Neophyte

Metal slug. A fish n chip shop near my house used to let me play it for free back in the day. Since then I've owned nearly every port of the game but still have yet to get a copy on actual neo geo hardware.

I also love samurai shodown but it doesn't have the nostalgia factor.

This is what happens
    When you constantly
    Piss off the Management.

Came for real bout special, stayed for king of fighters 2002.

Crossed Swords Squire

Probably samurai showdown

Bashful Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by oceanfrr View Post
    Probably samurai showdown
    Out in the rugged wilderness of a Canadian Go Kart tourist trap was the first time I had seen a four slot machine, it was amazing. Then I sat there and watched a teenager get decimated by Earthquake after three intense rounds. My brother and I rented Samurai Showdown on the Genesis for weeks afterward. Musta been 95 or 96.

World Heroes 2, Aero Fighters 2, Metal Slug, Bust-A-Move

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

Either Puzzle Bobble or Mutation Nation. My local pizza hut had a 2 slot MVS cabinet up until like 2009-2010 with these two games in it.

The machine had been through a lot. First the red went out on the crt, then the sound, and eventually the sticks got fubar'd by some kids. Then like a Jehovah's wtness it disappeared out of the blue never to be seen again.

I love my candy cabinet but I would love to get a MVS 2 slot one of these days just for the nostalgia.

he spends hundreds on scarves, of course he's a fag and then ChuChu Flamingo preserved the aftermath in a plastic case making sure it wasn't exposed to unstable air
    You're just upset that you're too goddam stupid to understand the games and whiff infinites.
    Nintendo 64 Pikachu Edition Serial #NS294668665 Nintendo 64 "Funtastic Series" Jungle Green Serial #NS28721865

King of the Monster followed by Fatal Fury 2 that same day!

Man those were the times...

Metal slug for sure.
    I used to go to lockins at the roller rink as a kid and they had an mvs machine with one of the metal slugs (not sure which one its been so long).

Azu Bla

Samurai Shodown is what got me hooked.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Ninja combat!
    I will never forget that day I went to the video store, and in the back they had final fight, and a neo geo mvs. At that time I was blown away,
    the fact you can play as the bosses! had me hooked!

Pupil of Bonus-Kun

In person with hands on experience was Robo Army and puzzle bobble.

One of things that got me aware of the Neo Geo as a kid was the show video power giving away Neo Geo as a prize and seemed so cool. And then seeing neo geo games on Nick Arcade like ghost pilots and king of monsters.

Cheng's Errand Boy

For me it was Fatal Fury 2. I had the original on the Mega Drive (Genesis) and one day when visiting a far away seaside town, I saw Fatal Fury 2. It was amazing to see such huge sprites and such amazing color. It was such a step up from the home experience.

Bashful Neophyte

NAM 1975 at the local fish and chip shop. But my dad would only let me watch others play while we were waiting for dinner.

Plus watching other games on channel 4's 'Game Master'

Crossed Swords Squire

SvC Chaos. Been a SF fan since childhood and a 3rd Strike fan since the eeeeearly 00's when I first rented The PS2 anniversary collection and subsequently bought it. Later, in high school, one of my local FGC friends showed me SvC on the xbox and I loved the darker spritework and approach that SNK took to these Capcom characters I loved. From there I learned about the Neo system, MVS/AES etc. Helped get me into the arcade hobby tbh. Growing up when arcades were still a thing, I never recall seeing an MVS around any central FL arcades. Only Capcom stuff.
    Cool ass/helpful dudes: bartre, BlackaneseNiNjA,

the first game that got me hooked was metal slug, i remember as a kid going to an arcade in a mall and cry for coins to my dad, forward 25 years and i got my own neo geo candy cab...life is good

Sengoku. Played it at a dirty Baltimore Chucky Cheese at some kid's birthday party and didn't want to stop. Just picked up the MVS cart last month.

Cheng's Errand Boy

Quote Originally Posted by highflyin9 View Post
    Sengoku. Played it at a dirty Baltimore Chucky Cheese at some kid's birthday party and didn't want to stop. Just picked up the MVS cart last month.
    Sengoku seems to be popping up in this thread alot. Just had a very nice play through with my kid on it. Such a great game. It was one of the first Neo Games I saw in the flesh too.

I'd always heard about how great the AES was and a few years after I started collecting games, I bought an AES. At the beginning I didn't have many games (probably had just got into college) and so I had only a few games (Samurai Shodown I and II and KOF 98). After some time I bought Real Bout and then it clicked. There was a long time before I purchased more AES games but since one year ago I started buying more games from collectors that decided to leave the hobby.

If it wasn't for Real Bout and its awesome gameplay, I would have never bought the games that I now own.

Thread Information