1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

Metal Slug 1 for me. I'd played KOF 95 in a pizza parlor prior, but was more interested in the Street Fighter Alpha cab they had. A local Round Table pizza my family frequented on Fridays updated their Neo Geo cab with Metal Slug. That thing munched a lot of my quarters.

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
Probably Neo Turf Masters. It was quite a shock to me that a golf game could be that fun and stylish at the same time.
It has quality artwork but remains very stylized, very accessible gameplay mechanics but difficult to master execution and a cool soundtrack.

I love to play this game on cold autumn or winter evenings alongside a nice glass of Lagavulin ;-)

Man I remember one of the first arcade games I played was Metal Slug and Strikers 1945+ on a two-slot MVS at a a Mr.Gatti's pizza parlor. They also had Battletoads which is a game I sunk tons of quarters into but the Neo Geo stuff was more alluring. For the longest time I didn't know what a Neo Geo was but I rediscovered it through the internet and have been hooked ever since.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury Special. . I own it on all three formats, as with some of my more loved titles.

We should do a Fatal Fury Special Club ;)

Also own all SNK formats of it. Best game ever:buttrock:

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
The firts neo geo game i remember that it hooked me was Art Of Fighting 1, a game that impacted me, huge sprites, animations and its awenome fx sound¡¡¡

Fatal Fury was the first Neo Geo game I ever played, always went to the arcade to play it. What made me realllly love the Neo was KOF '98.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
Blue's Journey back when it first came out in the arcades. Remember playing it at an arcade under a Godfather's Pizza. The arcade is long gone but the pizza joint it still there :)

SouthAmericaNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Where I live they have a machine with hundreds of gsmes but I play metal slug and Syria showdown. Both these keep me playing.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Syria showdown, with Assad as the final boss? XD

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
Fatal Fury 1......have a lot of fun with my friend on this game!

SouthAmericaNeo

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Syria showdown, with Assad as the final boss? XD

please forgive my speech. It is samurai showdown. The machine has many many neo geo games on it and is very fun to play. They have blood and people scream when they are hit.

RRR

New Challenger
Fatal Fury 1 was the first Neo game I ever played. I used to go to 7-11 almost everyday after school to play it.

Metal-Willis

Super Sidekicks 2
Seeing Alpha Mission 2 was an eye opener, then I saw Nam and got that feeling SNK had something special going on. At that point I purposefully when looking for any other Neo game around. Fatal Fury and Sam Sho became evident that Neo Geo was amazing in the arcades. Then in stepped Metal Slug and that was a complete game changer in many ways.

Not really a definitive answer to the original post, but definitely affected me in many ways haha!

xarcade

Quiz Detective
Samurai Shodown was the first Neo game I spent time playing. But Metal Slug was what stood out the most as a game worth owning after I started buying arcade cabs.

Boat200

New Challenger
Back then at the arcade- Art of Fighting
Revisiting the Neo Geo in 2014- Metal Slug

Warpedflash

Crazed MVS Addict
First game and the best would be Metal slug! I remember playing it on arcade machines when I went camping in Europe with my family as a kid.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Fatal Fury - the co-op and then vs mechanic was awesome, my friend and I cleared the game this way, though Geese Howard took the majority of our quarters

TheIronSheik

Kuroko's Training Dummy
It's got to be Fatal Fury. It was at a corner store about a block from where I grew up in Queens. I also remember seeing games like Ghost Pilots and King of the Monsters on Nick Arcade. Of course it wouldn't be until 20+ years later that I finally get the system.

Phades

New Challenger
Magician Lord. I remember seeing the ads for the Neo Geo and that being one of the pack in game options. The game just looked amazing and right up my alleyI lusted after that so hard....

I love playing that game now mostly just for the nostalgia.

Last edited:

blankspace

n00b
I had seen some games in magazines and distinctly remember King of the Monsters and Ghost Pilot on Nick Arcade, but not having seen one in real life it just seemed like something unattainable that almost didn't exist. I only thought about it when I was explicitly reading about it.

In 1996 I remember my school or something having a trip to a roller skating rink. I wasn't interested in roller skates but boy was I intrigued by the selection of cabinets they had. I don't remember what the other games were but there was a giant red 6-slot Gargantua. I was blown away that one cabinet could have more than one game, let alone six. My eyes laid upon a neat looking game called Magician Lord. I saw the mini marquee for Ghost Pilots. Then the demo for a game started playing. This game just came out and the graphics were incredible. I was entranced by the wrecked ships in the background and the most vivid memory was of the giant stone head.

From this point forward Metal Slug and the Neo Geo became a VERY tangible object that I would lust over.

Back in the early 90s when Ground Round had free popcorn you could throw on the floor and a half dozen good arcade cabs I remember seeing my first 4-slot. The two games I remember being blown away by were Magician Lord and Art of Fighting. I was also really impressed that one cabinet had four different games in it. I realize Playchoice 10 came out earlier and had up to ten games in a cab but them being the exact same games I had at home on my NES I never paid it much attention, that and on the PC10 you were paying for time, not how good you were at the game. Anyhow, as as young kid playing those early Neo games I obviously wasn't very good and thus didn't get far on my limited supply of quarters. However the memories of those games stayed in my mind and in the mid 90s when stuff like Metal Slug and KOF '97 came out I picked up the Saturn ports because it's all I could afford at the time, but a few years later in High School I ended up buying a home system and then a MVS Gold Cab. To this day it's still my all time favorite system.

Hey are you still in btown? I never went to the ground round but definitely would have if I knew they had a neo. Game that got me hooked was metal slug on an emulator. 2nd was samsho iv on my Saturn. It is probably one of my all time favorite fighters to this day. None of my friends are into gaming much and the ones that are only play 360 games and don't get too excited over these classics.

Arcadecrazy

New Challenger
I had to think about this one. my first love of SNK was Mechanized Attack I remember playing it in the arcades and in the seven eleven down the street from my friends house. Man that thing got a lot of quarters from us. It was years later I ran into metal slug and that became my all time favorite SNK series.