1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Metal Slug 2 was the first neo game for me. Id usually only have a quarter or two though, dont think I made it past level 3 as a kid.

Slug 3 and the original were some others I got to play around that time. Super sidekicks 2/3/98 was another, but I dont recall which one.

ronald0

Crazed MVS Addict
King of Fighters 94, which I played at a local video game store. I remember thinking that the Neo Geo was more powerful than all the other consoles, despite being only 24-bit. :)

Evilpoptart

Kula's Candy
Metal Slug 1 and 2 at local roller blade place. Always saved $2 just to beat on it when crappy songs came up or people played red light green light. Good times.

DEL 707

Cheng's Errand Boy
Which was what I thought, therefore I was surprised to hear you saw BBS2 in an arcade at all ;)

There was another arcade further down the beach that had Super Baseball 2020 :keke:

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Back in the early 90s when Ground Round had free popcorn you could throw on the floor and a half dozen good arcade cabs I remember seeing my first 4-slot. The two games I remember being blown away by were Magician Lord and Art of Fighting. I was also really impressed that one cabinet had four different games in it. I realize Playchoice 10 came out earlier and had up to ten games in a cab but them being the exact same games I had at home on my NES I never paid it much attention, that and on the PC10 you were paying for time, not how good you were at the game. Anyhow, as as young kid playing those early Neo games I obviously wasn't very good and thus didn't get far on my limited supply of quarters. However the memories of those games stayed in my mind and in the mid 90s when stuff like Metal Slug and KOF '97 came out I picked up the Saturn ports because it's all I could afford at the time, but a few years later in High School I ended up buying a home system and then a MVS Gold Cab. To this day it's still my all time favorite system.

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
My first games that got me hooked was at a local cinema. It was a 4 slot and contained mag lord, neo turf masters, burning fight ..........and I can't remember the last one, it was league bowling, nam 1975 or super sidekicks.

Of them all, it was burning fight that got me hooked as I was a big double dragon and golden axe fan.

I've always loved the machine since then.

Masamune

n00b
One of the early Fatal Furys, can't remember which one.

I do remember it was Mai's animations that hooked me. Don't judge me, I was a teenager with raging hormones LOL.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
bowling alley, 1993

what's this big, red machine with four games

wow that game has some real pretty colors

wow

MAGICIAN LORD

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Aero fighters 2 and shortly after metal slug. I was absolutely hooked since then

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Anyhow, as as young kid playing those early Neo games I obviously wasn't very good and thus didn't get far on my limited supply of quarters.
Yeah, now that you mention it most of the time I was staring at the attract sequence or watching someone else play.

Moria/the man

New Challenger
first games I saw were Nam 1975 and Cyber Lip. They were showing NEO GEO AES in a enclosed room with a nice speaker system and a big screen TV. Magician Lord was playing and it blew me away with the graphics and sound. Seeing Samurai Shodown 2 was what made me want one big time though. Later I saw Last blade and Real Bout 2 and it was over. I had a Job and saved up to buy it from a guy that worked at the game store. Best purchase EVER!

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
I don't recall where but the first I remember was ikari warriors then metal slug and samurai shodown the first two in arcades and the latter on the genesis

joe_higashi19

Life is an Illusion, The Magic is Down My Pants.,
Art of fighting Those big sprites drew me in the difficulty keep me playing. Still one of my favorite franchises of the neo minus AOF3 i hated it still do to this day.As for were i saw an played it the first time. My grandmas pool hall i cleared out her cash register of all its quarters trying to beat the dang thing. Never did tho....

Last edited:

the7k

Tarma's Gun Polisher
The Pizza Huts in my area (of which there were three) used to have four slot Neo Geos in each of them. A lot of good times playing Fatal Fury 3, Magical Drop and Metal Slug, even as recently as this decade.

The thing that really got me hooked on SNK was Samurai Shodown 2, though. This game managed to get more play than Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter during the heyday of those games. Lot of fun.

Strangely, not one of those Neo Geos ever had a King of Fighters game in it. I didn't even learn of the King of Fighters series until I saw the Game Boy version of KOF'95 in a Nintendo Power.

nicksbrain

Cheng's Errand Boy
Blue's Journey / Raguy that my older half sister organised when I stayed at her place during holidays. I loved it ;)

cyd

New Challenger
Crossed swords and Samurai Shodown 4 ate more of my lunch money than I did back in the day.

dscheepy

n00b
savage reign in an arcade located on a french campsite where we used to spend our summer holidays :)

akirasan

n00b
Art of Fighting, year 1992 in Mallorca. It was hard to find any NG games but it existed, like Breakers or AOF2. KOF series only till KOF96 :(

Crush Roller

Rugal's Thug
Good ol Metal Slug me thinks way back although I did get much more addicted to Blazing Star much later.

Ghudda

New Challenger
Yeah, a local bowling alley had a big red in this nasty side room and i'd bounce between Metal Slug and Street Fighter a couple of times after I got done bowling with my dad.
What most recently sparked my remembrance of NG was a cab in the corner of a pizza place near my parents house in Austin a few years back that had Metal Slug and 1945. The monitor is about shot but I spent at least 45 minutes at that cabinet the first time I noticed it.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
Metal Slug on MAME :loco:

Then got an AES and Metal Slug 3 US version :buttrock:

Now I have MVS! ;)