1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

Sypth

Mr. Big's Thug
Same as others said, Metal Slug. Music is awesome, game play mechanics are relatively easy to pick up, and don't get me started about those graphics.

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
Same. Hotel we'd stop at on family vacation every year had a 4-slot with Fatal Fury 1 and 2 and soccer games.

Yep, a ghetto theater I used to go to growing up had 1 machine and it had Fatal Fury on it. I thought the graphics and sound were absolutely sick at the time. I later spotted Fatal Fury Special at a local pizza joint. I was hooked.

mourix

n00b
As teenager I got to buy a non working generic Neo Geo cab with Metal Slug in it. Once I got to play it there was no turning back :)

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I played Samurai Shodown 2 and King of Fighters 95 first...but the one that really got me was Metal Slug 2. Couldn't get enough.

94TC

Hardened Shock Trooper
15 Year Member
SamSho 2 at college. Nicotine was my fav at the time, back in 95.

AESGuy

New Challenger
Samurai Showdown 1 back in 93 on vacation in an arcade in Italy. Had such a blast as a 10 year old kid coz of those graphics which were like a cartoon (back then). Had just an NES and SNES and never seen anything like this before.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Samurai Showdown 1 back in 93 on vacation in an arcade in Italy. Had such a blast as a 10 year old kid coz of those graphics which were like a cartoon (back then). Had just an NES and SNES and never seen anything like this before.
most of the German/Austrian members seem to have stories like this to tell - such a shame there weren't any real arcades for kids to go to due to the laws.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
Nam was the first I remember playing. After SamSho, I would drop a quarter in every cab I found. After my first time with metal slug, I actually started seeking out cabs, and bought a CD as soon as I could.

When I was a kid working at pizza hut it was Cyber-Lip but did not even know that it was a neo geo game. It was in a convertion cabinet. When I got into coin operated arcade games Metal Slug got be into Noeo Geo again.

Metlcub

n00b
I can remember play Fatal Fury at an arcade down in Sea Isle City NJ on the boardwalk. I loved that game, the stage with the rain totally blew me away. then I noticed other SNK cabs with different games and got hooked.. Never could afford Neo AES untill 2000, then 2003 got into a relationship, broke up and lost everything had to sell I had in the break up. Now im finally getting my stuff back, although at higher prices now.

AESGuy

New Challenger
most of the German/Austrian members seem to have stories like this to tell - such a shame there weren't any real arcades for kids to go to due to the laws.
Yeah. Instead of real arcades we have gotten Novoline machines where you can "win" money. I really don't get it what people find facinating about a cab with some flashing lights which screems "SCAM SCAM - feed me with your money":keke:

Last edited:

JLZ

Rugal's Thug
For me it was King of Fighters 95 (initially on the Saturn), and then the other kof games from there.

95 is still the one I play the most

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It was Fatal Fury for me I guess. It was a diversion from SF2 and I loved how SNK drew the sprites. It was that look that initially drew me towards the games.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

nintendospy

Crossed Swords Squire
20 Year Member
Baseball Stars, it's always been my favorite. One of those rare games I can play over and over and enjoy just as much each time.

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Well after salvating over the console reviews back in the early 90's ...looking at photo's of the machine & line-up i just had to get one!!...

So back then , a friend who had a Games shop ' Go games' in Batley..got a Neo geo Gold system for me, my two home Games were AS0 II & Sengoku...i was instantly hooked!!.
1991...got it on release, my favourite games system out of everything i have owned.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
For me it was World Heroes in the Arcades. Then Samurai Shodown which solidified the Neo Geo. They both might of been in the same machine.

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
Mine was Samurai Shodown 2 in a 4 cart cabinet at a local grocery store. I used to ride my bike to the store just to play it.

Missile

Another Striker
In England there weren't that many MVS arcade machines and they seemed expensive so beyond playing AOF2 and FF a few times I never got hooked on anything back in the day.

So mine was MOTW. When i first bought the system I got that on MVS and a load of other games (prices were lower in those days). But MOTW was the one I played the most. Just the atmosphere and the music and the gameplay together were special. I haven't actually played it for maybe 4 years now but back then yes... MOTW

For me it was World Heroes in the Arcades. Then Samurai Shodown which solidified the Neo Geo. They both might of been in the same machine.

Proof that World Heroes isn't that bad :cool:

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The first Neo game that hooked me was the original Fatal Fury.

There was a big red in the 7-11 near my school at the time it came out. I was already big into SFII, which was clearly the better game, but the FF character designs, music, and story elements had me dropping quarters until I beat it many times. Andy's design/moveset plus Geese falling out that window are the things that really hooked me.

My roommate at the time was buying Gamest magazine every month, so he had been reading all about Fatal Fury 2 a while before it came out and was super-hyped about it. Then it showed up in a big red in a Japanese market near the apartment, and we were both blown away. We'd already been playing the first AOF on that same cab quite a bit, though SFII at a nearby 7-11 was still our main game. Until Fatal Fury 2.

About one week of dropping mass amounts of money into FF2, and we decided to combine resources and buy a homecart system. Street Fighter basically became a thing of the past. We got a slightly used homecart system, extra old style joystick, used FF1 & AoF1 carts, and FF2 new. That pretty much cleaned both of us out for months. And we played FF2...and later, FFS...more or less non-stop most hours of the day or night.

So I'd say Fatal Fury was the first game to hook me, and Fatal Fury 2 was the point of no return.