1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

Hans Grösse

Banned
Back in the early 90s when Ground Round had free popcorn you could throw on the floor and a half dozen good arcade cabs I remember seeing my first 4-slot. The two games I remember being blown away by were Magician Lord and Art of Fighting. I was also really impressed that one cabinet had four different games in it. I realize Playchoice 10 came out earlier and had up to ten games in a cab but them being the exact same games I had at home on my NES I never paid it much attention, that and on the PC10 you were paying for time, not how good you were at the game. Anyhow, as as young kid playing those early Neo games I obviously wasn't very good and thus didn't get far on my limited supply of quarters. However the memories of those games stayed in my mind and in the mid 90s when stuff like Metal Slug and KOF '97 came out I picked up the Saturn ports because it's all I could afford at the time, but a few years later in High School I ended up buying a home system and then a MVS Gold Cab. To this day it's still my all time favorite system.

OMG GROUND ROUND!!!! I remember that place!!

groundzero

Cheng's Errand Boy
Haha, ground round had pay a penny per pound kids night with a scale in the front.they had neo geo and 4 player Turtles and Simpsons

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
The first Neo Geo game that I loved was Fatal Fury 2. I loved it on the arcade, although I could only afford the Genesis version at the time. That game made me love SNK fighters. I never really liked Capcom fighters.

The original version of Samurai Shodown came a little later, which I also bought for the Genesis.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Very first game I played was Baseball Stars Pro, I remember it being a team of people named after monsters or something. Then Magician Lord followed by Baseball Stars 2, Fatal Fury and World Heroes (Death match specifically).

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
Samurai Shodown 1 and Art of Fighting 2. Was completely blown away when I saw them on the Neo Geo CD. After 6 months I bought the cd system and 2-3 years later a used AES

cyb

n00b
Magician lord at wal-mart. It was a 2 slot cab, the other game was Baseball Stars Pro I think.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
my first neo geo ports i played were KoF 2000/2001 on the playstation 2 and latter SVC chaos ps2 version still thrills me every time playing it on a 16 Bit console. Well for my MVS it was Metal Slug 1 and later on for my AES it was Fatal Fury special.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Fatal Fury started it all for me. Still play that game to this day.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
Magician Lord... I really sucked at it and still do; but that's the game that defined what Neo Geo quality to me.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Magician Lord... I really sucked at it and still do; but that's the game that defined what Neo Geo quality to me.

All these peeps saying Magician Lord. I'm not sure I've even seen a MG in a cab in the wild. :/

ArmoredGecko

Quiz Detective
My roommate built a MAME cabinet and spent a few days trying some of the games out. We stopped on Garou: MOTW for about an hour (I did terribly). The next day we played for 3 hrs (I still sucked). My roommate later got a got a Neo-Geo cabinet and bought Garou. I'm still just as terrible at the game but now I can prove it every day.

marcio1986

Cheng's Errand Boy
Can't say which was first but Metal Slug and King of Fighters 97 were the first ones that made me look for coins under parked cars and gutters. When those 2 games were on the local coffee shop the machine was always busy. Awesome games.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
1st neo game I played was Fatal Fury
1st Neo Game I took seriously was Samurai Shodown
1st Neo Game that made me want to seriously collect SNK games was KOF '96

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The games that got me hooked weren't even real Neo games! I played Fatal Fury 1 a bit in the arcade and thought it was pretty rad, and later found Fatal Fury 2 snes cheap at blockbuster. I played the hell out of it, naturally. I then picked up Art of Fighting from another store and loved it too. I was hooked, but I had to stick with ports at home and the occasional arcade play.

thisisbrix

n00b
Metal Slug X. I had never seen such outrageously huge boss battles in any video game, and I thought that was fucking awesome.

Later I got a Genesis, and played through the Treasure games which also had some awesome boss battles. But that only curbed the desire for more SNK action for so long.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Samurai Shodown at the local arcade. Soon after I got hooked I bought an aes with SS and Magician Lord. Then ordered SSII from Japan around the Windows 3.1 era. Been hooked ever since.

Hine62