1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

LadyVamp

Camel Slug
Fatal Fury 2.

I rented that game so many times, I should have just asked for it for Christmas, really.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I miss the old pizza stores that had 1-2 arcade cabs in them... lunch time at school was great

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
It was either Samurai Shodown or World Heroes. I dropped a lot of quarters on those in the arcade.

Leback

Stakes Winner
Fatal fury. The local toy store had an AES running with game. You weren't allowed to play it, but me and my friends stood there just watching. Got it on my Mega drive when it was ported over. Then of course Samurai Shodown...

adaup1

n00b
Probably Samurai Showdown II, even though I wouldn't call it my favorite in the series anymore. Real Bout Fatal Fury Special is the game that definitely really got me hooked and is probably my favorite fighting game of all time.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Fatal fury. The local toy store had an AES running with game. You weren't allowed to play it, but me and my friends stood there just watching. Got it on my Mega drive when it was ported over. Then of course Samurai Shodown...
ah yes. the megadrive port of fatal fury. had no idea what snk or the neo geo was back when i owned the game from then. still play it from time to time.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Nam 1975. I'm kind of a Vietnam war history buff so It was so cool to see a (good) game let alone an arcade game based on those events. Honestly I think only a company like SNK would be capable of that. Capcom wouldve made it overly cartnoony.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
PAL SNES port of Fatal Fury and I loved it back in the day!
First AES game was Samurai Shodown :D

sunny451

n00b
Sengoku and King of the Monsters at a convenience store in Papillion, Nebraska during the early 90's. I was visiting family and it was the first time I had ever seen a Neo Geo cabinet in the wild. Before that I had only read about it in gaming magazines. I always wanted one after that. Almost thirty years later and I finally have one. I still can't get over it that I can play these games on original hardware whenever I want.

Last edited:

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
World Heroes in the arcades in the UK

King of Fighter 94 and Fatal Fury Special in the arcades in Spain

Viewpoint home cart in HMV Oxford Street bitd

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
World Heroes in the arcades in the UK

King of Fighter 94 and Fatal Fury Special in the arcades in Spain

Viewpoint home cart in HMV Oxford Street bitd

hmv did home carts?. when was this?. i remember they sold neo pocket games.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
hmv did home carts?. when was this?. i remember they sold neo pocket games.

Back in 92/93 but only in Oxford Street London HMV. I used to look at them and dream. Only remember Viewpoint but there was a good selection at the time

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
The earliest games I remember playing on or seeing in arcades in the early 90s were Super Sidekicks and World Heroes, around the time Street Fighter 2 came out. I also remember Metal Slug and Neo Turf Masters a bit later. Actually the one thing that makes 'Neo Geo' stand out in my memory is the attract screen that says "max 330 mega", that seemed insane at the time.

I never knew anybody with a home AES console, although I do remember some of my friends having Mega Drive or SNES ports of games like Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting (which in retrospect are pretty terrible compared to the NG versions.)

My favourite NG game though is Bust-a-Move/Puzzle Bobble.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
A video rental place had a little arcade in it about a block from my house....they had a 4-slot with Samurai Shodown, Super Sidekicks 2, Bust-A-Move, and World Heroes. I was so into it I ordered a memory card from SNK to use there, so I could more easily see all the endings for Shodown and World Heroes, and save progress in Sidekicks 2.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
It was Magician Lord for me at a bowling alley within a bike ride from my house. Then Ninja Combat at Aladdin's Castle...I remember thinking it was so cool that you could switch to other playable characters as you advanced.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
Yup I remember Neo Geo games being at the Oxford Street HMV and Virgin Megastore. They also were the first places I saw Laserdiscs for sale too.

For me the first time I saw a Neo-Geo being played was on Games Master, the UK gaming show presented by Dominic Diamond. King of The Monsters. It looked incredible.

Last edited: