1st neo geo game that got you hooked?

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Cool story. Do you still have it?

You know, I have no idea. I got more into playing music instead of arcade games before I moved out of my parent's place, so it very well may be there still. I should find it, it was barely ever used and I've seen them online for about $50.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Back in 92/93 but only in Oxford Street London HMV. I used to look at them and dream. Only remember Viewpoint but there was a good selection at the time

wow. i only started going there around 95/96 so i missed it by a couple of years but i didn't really know what a neo geo was back in 92/93 so probably wouldn't of known what i was looking at anyway.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Probably Metal Slug but personally Last Blade is what I still play all the time.

Gaoh

New Challenger
Growing up in Panama, i realized now it was a melting pot of asian cultures, a lot of toys i had growing up were original imported from japan hard to get merch, type of rarity.

I don’t even remember how i went over to a friends house but i know he was big into japanese culture, and when i walked inside there it was the MVS console in all its glory, they were playing Art of Fighting 2, seeing how the game zoomed in and out was mind blowing to me at that time, ever since then Kings stage BGM got stuck on my head, they never let me play it, just watch.

Then in 95 i went to the. Fort davis carnival and remember seeing the arcade section, one of the games was Fighters history dynamite, that looping demo got stuck on my head also. Fast forward to 98, i discovered neo geo emulation and first games i finally played were art of fighting 2 and fighters history dynamite which then i found out it was called karnovs revenge. I had fatal fury on sega but never thought it was snk until i started getting roms. Been hooked ever since.

shadowtek

n00b
My friend who has been a collector for years finally got a Neo Geo AES and asked me if I knew anything about them. I was like, well not really but I know they did arcade stuff because I had seen the 4 game Cabs at the arcade auction. I also had seen a Neo Geo Pocket one time with MS and that's all I really knew about it. He invited me over to play his AES one day in all it's arcade like RGB glory and we played Metal Slug, Garou, and NTM. I was immediately hooked, when I touched the clicky arcade stick, and just saw the build quality and massive carts. I began the search myself and within about 6-9 months I had saved up enough and found an NA AES with UNIBIOS installed. Then I sat down when I got it and played Magician's Lord, Fatal Fury, and Samurai Shodown for probably two hours. I've been hooked ever since.

NeoTrof

n00b
20 Year Member
For me, the game that made me get my AES in the early 90's was Samurai Shodown II. Got that and World Heroes 2 Jet brand new right away. This was just after SSII was released, so we are probably talking early 95.

A couple years later, when I had not got any new games beyond those first 2, I played Spinmasters at an arcade in Seaside Heights, New Jersey, and have been an addict ever since. I was fortunate enough to be early enough getting back into it to get King of Fighters 98, Metal Slug X and Shock Troopers directly from SNK.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
Fatal fury 2, if not for that game I probably would never even bothered with future titles

Metal slug. A fish n chip shop near my house used to let me play it for free back in the day. Since then I've owned nearly every port of the game but still have yet to get a copy on actual neo geo hardware.

I also love samurai shodown but it doesn't have the nostalgia factor.

Dialknight

n00b
Probably samurai showdown
Out in the rugged wilderness of a Canadian Go Kart tourist trap was the first time I had seen a four slot machine, it was amazing. Then I sat there and watched a teenager get decimated by Earthquake after three intense rounds. My brother and I rented Samurai Showdown on the Genesis for weeks afterward. Musta been 95 or 96.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Either Puzzle Bobble or Mutation Nation. My local pizza hut had a 2 slot MVS cabinet up until like 2009-2010 with these two games in it.

The machine had been through a lot. First the red went out on the crt, then the sound, and eventually the sticks got fubar'd by some kids. Then like a Jehovah's wtness it disappeared out of the blue never to be seen again.

I love my candy cabinet but I would love to get a MVS 2 slot one of these days just for the nostalgia.

shelcoof

New Challenger
King of the Monster followed by Fatal Fury 2 that same day!

Man those were the times...

Zoddhand

n00b
Metal slug for sure.
I used to go to lockins at the roller rink as a kid and they had an mvs machine with one of the metal slugs (not sure which one its been so long).

kingau

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ninja combat!
I will never forget that day I went to the video store, and in the back they had final fight, and a neo geo mvs. At that time I was blown away,
the fact you can play as the bosses! had me hooked!

nmsc

n00b
In person with hands on experience was Robo Army and puzzle bobble.

One of things that got me aware of the Neo Geo as a kid was the show video power giving away Neo Geo as a prize and seemed so cool. And then seeing neo geo games on Nick Arcade like ghost pilots and king of monsters.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
For me it was Fatal Fury 2. I had the original on the Mega Drive (Genesis) and one day when visiting a far away seaside town, I saw Fatal Fury 2. It was amazing to see such huge sprites and such amazing color. It was such a step up from the home experience.

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
NAM 1975 at the local fish and chip shop. But my dad would only let me watch others play while we were waiting for dinner.

Plus watching other games on channel 4's 'Game Master'

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
SvC Chaos. Been a SF fan since childhood and a 3rd Strike fan since the eeeeearly 00's when I first rented The PS2 anniversary collection and subsequently bought it. Later, in high school, one of my local FGC friends showed me SvC on the xbox and I loved the darker spritework and approach that SNK took to these Capcom characters I loved. From there I learned about the Neo system, MVS/AES etc. Helped get me into the arcade hobby tbh. Growing up when arcades were still a thing, I never recall seeing an MVS around any central FL arcades. Only Capcom stuff.

juanking

n00b
the first game that got me hooked was metal slug, i remember as a kid going to an arcade in a mall and cry for coins to my dad, forward 25 years and i got my own neo geo candy cab...life is good

highflyin9

n00b
Sengoku. Played it at a dirty Baltimore Chucky Cheese at some kid's birthday party and didn't want to stop. Just picked up the MVS cart last month.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Sengoku. Played it at a dirty Baltimore Chucky Cheese at some kid's birthday party and didn't want to stop. Just picked up the MVS cart last month.

Sengoku seems to be popping up in this thread alot. Just had a very nice play through with my kid on it. Such a great game. It was one of the first Neo Games I saw in the flesh too.