New NGDEV Neo-Geo Game: Razion

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I just couldnt ever imagine paying that kind of coin for 1 unlicensed game.

A good game is a good game dude. Just be grateful that there is a passionate and talented team like NGDEV keeping the neo off the defibrillator.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
The other reason I piped up was because everyone else was piling on Niko and I don't think he deserved it.

When you spout unsubstantiated stupidities you'll get what you deserve around here.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Jonmkl, I'm still in love with your avatar girl

I'm still holding out for that NGDEV/Barsoom crossover side scrolling RPG beat em up I've been asking for :-P

It's a marketing trick. They can inflate prices due to low numbers. Could they produce more? Probably, and make more money doing so. They just wouldn't be able to charge a premium with extra copies available.

Dragon Punch, friendo, your argument doesn't even make sense. If they could make more money by producing more, and they were being greedy, they would produce more. What you are witnessing is the increased costs associated with a specialty product. When an item doesn't have enough mass appeal to make it's money from large releases, it has to be released in smaller numbers, and as a result ends up costing more to produce. However, if it's smaller base is dedicated enough to pay that necessarily inflated price, it finds a market and continues to exist.

The niche status of NGDEVs products can be easily seen in how hard their indiegogo for Gunlord on the 3ds failed last year. Wether or not it could have been handled better as a campaign it failed to bring them a broader consumer base, and so they are stuck for the time being with their current, highly specialty product business model. Their games aren't what the mass market wants, even on a different console or system, but they are what arcade and shooter enthusiasts love. The same kind of enthusiasts that pay out the butt for brand new cave arcade boards whenever they're released.

Knowing your market is not a "trick," it's business.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
It's no shock they are charging a premium - raping the market even. But its working. It seems the only ones complaining aren't the core demographic for these. I can't really talk as I only own 1 MVS release of theirs. I think everything but Fast Striker is amateur. Gunlord being an honorable mention. This looks a little phoned in, although I would like to play it. It feels like a B-Side that was released to help fund other projects - so, I'm glad to see support for it. Let's be honest, it will sell out. They have a good gig going here. I like watching the drama as well. Plus, they'll probably release a "1.5" version a couple months later - someone will rave about it on the forums then all you guys will be posting "WTB" threads.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
It's no shock they are charging a premium - raping the market even. But its working. It seems the only ones complaining aren't the core demographic for these. I can't really talk as I only own 1 MVS release of theirs. I think everything but Fast Striker is amateur. Gunlord being an honorable mention. This looks a little phoned in, although I would like to play it. It feels like a B-Side that was released to help fund other projects - so, I'm glad to see support for it. Let's be honest, it will sell out. They have a good gig going here. I like watching the drama as well. Plus, they'll probably release a "1.5" version a couple months later - someone will rave about it on the forums then all you guys will be posting "WTB" threads.

I pretty much agree with you but I would also say they are still better (Gunlord and XYX especially) than at least 70-80% of Neo Geo games that were officially released.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
I'm still holding out for that NGDEV/Barsoom crossover side scrolling RPG beat em up I've been asking for :-P

Haha, no Thuvia + Chessmen game yet!
0e8a923f8da0fb0f4f5fa010.L.jpg

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Ordered Gamecenter kit and requested it to be in a blue plastic shell. I seriously hope someone can jump the gun and find a way to supply NGDevteam with plastic shells as an alternative before they run out. I love wooden CMVS systems but having wooden MVS carts just looks ridiculous IMO in anything but an AI CMVS. And even then... There is no contrast. I got the non LE because my OCD would make me have to store the OST, extra box, etc. forever and I don't feel like doing that. The simple brown box matches my kit collection nicely. Anyway, can't wait for the game. Looks great. :)

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I pretty much agree with you but I would also say they are still better (Gunlord and XYX especially) than at least 70-80% of Neo Geo games that were officially released.

also true

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Nobody will read this, but...

The two biggest reasons why NG Dev carts are so expensive is because they cost a lot of money to manufacture and a small number of copies are made. Large PCBs cost money, lots of chips cost money, big FPGA and CLPD type chips cost money, getting everything designed and arranged for printing costs money. For the technology involved with a NG Dev game, you could easily make two console clones, let alone games.

Also as true with anything in electronics, the more you print, the cheaper it becomes. A few hundred copies of an already expensive product result in a very, very high price. For NG Dev games to get closer to say, $300, you'd be looking at tens of thousands of copies printed. The market is simply not that big, they'd never sell them all.

If you don't believe me on the cost of manufacture aspect, look at these boards. These were used for Gunlord and are probably still the most recent PCBs by NG Dev. Their earlier custom boards were twice as tall, filling all the space inside a Neo cart.

800px-Gun_lord_unofficial1_b1_front.jpg

800px-Gun_lord_unofficial1_b2_front.jpg

For comparison's sake, here is the PCB for Pier Solar (Sega Genesis), which is microscopic compared to a Neo Geo game. This game is sold for about $70. (I couldn't find the side with the chips, there's only a couple)

ohidm1.jpg

Ahh wow I didnt realize they had two FPGAs in there. Still those Spartans are pretty cheap, depending on the variation they can be bought for ~$20 a piece. Even cheaper when you buy in bulk. But anyways I didnt want to argue the price, I was just wondering why the cost was so high. Which multiple members have already touched on. So I got my answer.

Thanks

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Ahh wow I didnt realize they had two FPGAs in there. Still those Spartans are pretty cheap, depending on the variation they can be bought for ~$20 a piece. Even cheaper when you buy in bulk. But anyways I didnt want to argue the price, I was just wondering why the cost was so high. Which multiple members have already touched on. So I got my answer.

Thanks

The FPGAs and such are only a tiny fraction of the overall massive cost. The big part that needs to be understood is production run costs. 300 copies is a very, very tiny amount for professional circuit boards with expensive chips and design put into them. That's why NG Dev cartridges are so expensive here. Now, if they made 30,000 copies, the price would be significantly less. Problem is, there are probably far fewer than 30,000 total people who even buy Neo Geo stuff anymore, that guess is for the global population and most have probably never heard of this website or NG Dev, so chop that number down by several thousand.

Even 30,000 is still a tiny number though. To get a $100 - $150 brand new Neo Geo game, you'd be looking at upwards of 300,000 bare minimum. Probably more given how these boards are not being ordered by a large corporation like SNK who ran things like a high end technology and programming company. NG Dev is two guys apparently, dealing with a microscopic fraction of the same market SNK had 20 years ago. It all adds up, $550 makes perfect business and logical sense.

DPsx7

Banned
Read HeavyMachineGun's post; these carts are not cheap to produce, no matter what you're assuming.

I did and it makes me wonder why they go to unnecessary lengths. Surely there are cheaper ways to produce these games. Homebrew, while different than bootlegs in their content, can use similar hardware to reduce their costs. They'll never be 'official' carts in the long run. The way I see it if you're going to spend time developing a game why not produce it in a way many, many more people will be able to appreciate?

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
Oop!!!!
I had pre-order already for LE. :)
One my foolish decision (pre-order) is Crouching-Pony-Hidden-Dragon :(
No doubt for NG:DEV quality ;)

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I did and it makes me wonder why they go to unnecessary lengths. Surely there are cheaper ways to produce these games. Homebrew, while different than bootlegs in their content, can use similar hardware to reduce their costs. They'll never be 'official' carts in the long run. The way I see it if you're going to spend time developing a game why not produce it in a way many, many more people will be able to appreciate?

Why do you continue to pretend like you know how to run their business?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member

I'm not saying this to be rude, but you're clearly lacking a fundamental understanding of the hardware involved. The custom PCBs and design are needed to allow for storing far more data than original neo geo games are able to, among other things.

As said before, it's a niche market. Clearly there's enough of a demand to sell the limited copies available. More power to them for putting that much work into something that only a small segment of the gaming population would play (regardless of price).

Still, MVS aside, many more people get to enjoy their games through the dreamcast ports; I've played the shit out of Fast Striker on the Dreamcast. The only time I got to play the MVS version was in an arcade (Southtown in San Francisco).

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
dps / niko; this isn't the thread to learn about the neo, or to try and show getting hammered doesn't bother you. A lot of folks would genuinely like to discuss this game - go chill / flame / broil in the hyphen for a bit if you want to prove your worth. This isn't the thread for it.

DPsx7

Banned
We're not retarded. We know why they were priced like that. We know why SNK made two different versions, for arcade and home, so as to protect their profits. We know that games came out at high prices, then dipped a few months to a year later. You're not telling anyone here anything new, or what we didn't know.

The fact of the matter remains. MVS games were always more expensive when new, and do you forget that NG Dev is still targeting arcades with some of these releases. Sure that market is minuscule to say the least, but Fast Striker actually had a Free Play only version and a Credit version to keep the Arcade roots alive. I don't agree with that tactic, but whatevs.

So, seriously, stop spouting off in these threads like we're all a bunch of rich idiots that don't know anything about this hobby. I promise you, the people here have been in the game, and into gaming, for at least as long as you, if not many many years more.

Maybe not all of you are...

Hmm, I'll give you that. Arcades DO still exist. After all new pinball machines are still being made for arcade use, while at the same time there's a new market of home users willing to buy them at their release cost. They're just as insane, considering that you can have multiple machines for the price of a new one. I'll wait for the used version.

You need not discredit my many, many years of knowledge and experience either.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
As said before, it's a niche market. Clearly there's enough of a demand to sell the limited copies available.

That's what it comes down to. You can kind of compare apples with apples when you look at what Jeff did with Knights Chance. Offered a similar package but it is $449 USD. Euro works out about $160 more.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
fuck me... do want... anyone wanna "lend" me $600AUD? :p

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The FPGAs and such are only a tiny fraction of the overall massive cost. The big part that needs to be understood is production run costs. 300 copies is a very, very tiny amount for professional circuit boards with expensive chips and design put into them. That's why NG Dev cartridges are so expensive here. Now, if they made 30,000 copies, the price would be significantly less. Problem is, there are probably far fewer than 30,000 total people who even buy Neo Geo stuff anymore, that guess is for the global population and most have probably never heard of this website or NG Dev, so chop that number down by several thousand.

Even 30,000 is still a tiny number though. To get a $100 - $150 brand new Neo Geo game, you'd be looking at upwards of 300,000 bare minimum. Probably more given how these boards are not being ordered by a large corporation like SNK who ran things like a high end technology and programming company. NG Dev is two guys apparently, dealing with a microscopic fraction of the same market SNK had 20 years ago. It all adds up, $550 makes perfect business and logical sense.

lol I know what you are trying to say, but can you imagine if they produced anywhere near 30k much less 300k copies of their games?

Even if they priced them at $50 each (lol) they would be sitting on them until the end of time.

DPsx7

Banned
When you spout unsubstantiated stupidities you'll get what you deserve around here.

Heh, it goes both ways pal.

I'm not saying this to be rude, but you're clearly lacking a fundamental understanding of the hardware involved. The custom PCBs and design are needed to allow for storing far more data than original neo geo games are able to, among other things.

As said before, it's a niche market. Clearly there's enough of a demand to sell the limited copies available. More power to them for putting that much work into something that only a small segment of the gaming population would play (regardless of price).

Still, MVS aside, many more people get to enjoy their games through the dreamcast ports; I've played the shit out of Fast Striker on the Dreamcast. The only time I got to play the MVS version was in an arcade (Southtown in San Francisco).

While there must be cheaper alternatives, if their games are that complex that they require proprietary equipment then that would account for the inflated price.

I still enjoy the shmup genre. It would be nice to see the genre revived if there was an effort to reach the people who never played these types of games. Make it feel new again after the lull. Pinball and arcades themselves are picking up lately so it can be done.

Yeah I thought I said that earlier. The cart costs too dang much and I'll be waiting for a disc version. It's still the same game. That's all that matters to me. I've been without a local arcade for too many years, so I started collecting games to make up for it.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Something else to consider is quality control of the parts - if you went the "cheap" route, that's exactly what you would get. Cheap.