New NGDEV Neo-Geo Game: Razion

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Another shooter?

I think I'll wait for this run 'n gun title everybody is whispering about.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Does DP stand for double penetration? You must be getting it in every hole as you're typing this bullshit.

Bro, your a faggot.

Now, lets let this shit die so the thread can get back on topic.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Can one of the mods please lock Niko and Double Penetration Sally in the Hyphen so we can get this back on topic please.

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Gotta say, after watching the video the bosses look awesome. Definitely has a "dux" vibe from what I've seen, was that game well received?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
What does X stand for?

It's a variable, if you had gotten past 4th grade math you might understand that.

If I make one copy of a game that sells out it won't mean the same thing as a game with millions of copies selling out. So they produce a few thousand tops, that isn't a lot. Honestly I can see them overpricing the game to take advantage of the suckers, I mean customers that reliably pay that price.

Dude, it's the fucking NEO GEO. Not a current generation console. In the grand scheme of things, there aren't that many people who still buy games for these things.

It's a marketing trick. They can inflate prices due to low numbers. Could they produce more? Probably, and make more money doing so. They just wouldn't be able to charge a premium with extra copies available. Look at Metroid Prime Trilogy or Xenoblade on Wii for proof. These games didn't make a huge splash at first. When reports came in of low numbers demand jumped, prices went up. This caused GS to acquire more copies of both games which sorta mellowed out the spike in price.

The wii is umpteen years newer than the NEO GEO, that's a fucking horrible counterexample.

Custom PCBs are not cheap. Importing parts is not cheap. And last but not least, the time of developers skilled enough to still code for old ass systems is NOT FUCKING CHEAP.

If you don't like the price, don't fucking buy it. Simple as that.

DPsx7

Banned
Does DP stand for double penetration? You must be getting it in every hole as you're typing this bullshit.

It does not. I created the name long before the internet made it 'icky'. It means nothing of the sort.

Sorry you're unable to keep up with my posts.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
It does not. I created the name long before the internet made it 'icky'. It means nothing of the sort.

Double Penetration it is then.

theMot

10 Year Member

If I was mod I would rename you Double Penetration Sally XXX 7

ok, back on topic.

DPsx7

Banned
It's a variable, if you had gotten past 4th grade math you might understand that.

Dude, it's the fucking NEO GEO. Not a current generation console. In the grand scheme of things, there aren't that many people who still buy games for these things.

The wii is umpteen years newer than the NEO GEO, that's a fucking horrible counterexample.

Custom PCBs are not cheap. Importing parts is not cheap. And last but not least, the time of developers skilled enough to still code for old ass systems is NOT FUCKING CHEAP.

If you don't like the price, don't fucking buy it. Simple as that.

I was looking for an actual number, dingus. I'm well aware of what variables are. If that was meant sarcastically, whatever.

That goes with what I said about taking advantage of a limited market. So we're in agreement then?

I'm not comparing the Wii to the NG, it was just an example of how marketing can be exploited for extra profits. They could create a disc version and make a lot more money from more gamers, except they'd lose the ability to charge such a premium for the cart. I hope that clarifies.

I already stated I can't devote that much to a single game when so many more games need to be purchased. The point wasn't who will or won't get it, it was 'this costs more than it needs to'.

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member

qft. also, isn't NGdevteam only like 2 ppl?

DPsx7

Banned
Double Penetration it is then.

If I was mod I would rename you Double Penetration Sally XXX 7

ok, back on topic.

Geez, do you two live in the gutter? Not everything has to revolve around sex. I know you're trying to irk me so it doesn't matter all that much.

Good idea, there's no reason to derail this topic into trying to figure me out. You won't be able to. Let's stick to the price and the game.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
And last but not least, the time of developers skilled enough to still code for old ass systems is NOT FUCKING CHEAP.

I'm with you here on this. I could probably crank out some 68k motorola assembly code but you would have to pay me a fuck load of money to mess with that shit.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
So we're in agreement then?

No, I don't agree with you. I'm OK with people being paid for their work and turning a profit. It's what businesses do.

Let's ballpark this here. If NGDEVTeam is two people (I don't know this, but just going off Mugicha's post) and the game takes three months to develop, then you need to pay two people a fair salary for three months, or let's just say one person for six months.

A good computer programmer isn't going to take less than 100k / year unless they live somewhere with extremely cheap cost of living. So, we're looking at a very loose ballpark of 50k in labor costs.

Say they make 300 copies, you're looking at $166 cost in each cart just on labor alone. Plus custom PCBs, cases, shipping costs, taxes, printing materials, payment processing, etc. Tack on a reasonable profit margin, and honestly $500/cart is not out of line at all.

They could create a disc version and make a lot more money from more gamers, except they'd lose the ability to charge such a premium for the cart. I hope that clarifies.

Um... they've made dreamcast ports of more than one game. The MVS carts still sell.

I'm with you here on this. I could probably crank out some 68k motorola assembly code but you would have to pay me a fuck load of money to mess with that shit.

Exactly.

Back on topic, looks like a decent shmup with a lot "borrowed" from fast striker. I'm interested what the control mechanics and other gameplay elements are like. The bosses do look pretty awesome.

Last edited:

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
There's definitely a lot of Fast Striker in there. The ship looks a bit bloated and clunky but the bosses do look awesome though....seems most are in agreement on that at least.

I'm always on the fence when they unveil a new release but I always end up buying it anyway. This will be no different.

theMot

10 Year Member
I like the look of it but not sure if I like it enough to pay $700 (for the LE kit) aussie pesos incl shipping.

When our dollar was mighty and I was buying their games I was paying around $500.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Nobody will read this, but...

The two biggest reasons why NG Dev carts are so expensive is because they cost a lot of money to manufacture and a small number of copies are made. Large PCBs cost money, lots of chips cost money, big FPGA and CLPD type chips cost money, getting everything designed and arranged for printing costs money. For the technology involved with a NG Dev game, you could easily make two console clones, let alone games.

Also as true with anything in electronics, the more you print, the cheaper it becomes. A few hundred copies of an already expensive product result in a very, very high price. For NG Dev games to get closer to say, $300, you'd be looking at tens of thousands of copies printed. The market is simply not that big, they'd never sell them all.

If you don't believe me on the cost of manufacture aspect, look at these boards. These were used for Gunlord and are probably still the most recent PCBs by NG Dev. Their earlier custom boards were twice as tall, filling all the space inside a Neo cart.

800px-Gun_lord_unofficial1_b1_front.jpg

800px-Gun_lord_unofficial1_b2_front.jpg

For comparison's sake, here is the PCB for Pier Solar (Sega Genesis), which is microscopic compared to a Neo Geo game. This game is sold for about $70. (I couldn't find the side with the chips, there's only a couple)

ohidm1.jpg

Last edited:

DPsx7

Banned
No, I don't agree with you. I'm OK with people being paid for their work and turning a profit. It's what businesses do.

Let's ballpark this here. If NGDEVTeam is two people (I don't know this, but just going off Mugicha's post) and the game takes three months to develop, then you need to pay two people a fair salary for three months, or let's just say one person for six months.

A good computer programmer isn't going to take less than 100k / year unless they live somewhere with extremely cheap cost of living. So, we're looking at a very loose ballpark of 50k in labor costs.

Say they make 300 copies, you're looking at $166 cost in each cart just on labor alone. Plus custom PCBs, cases, shipping costs, taxes, printing materials, payment processing, etc. Tack on a reasonable profit margin, and honestly $500/cart is not out of line at all.

Maybe you should agree.

So if you don't know then how do you make all those following assumptions? If they make a mere 300 copies then I'm quite sure this isn't their full time job. Homebrew is a hobby to many, a side-job. That throws the whole salary part out the window. The rest certainly doesn't equal the cost. Boxes with inserts are $11. I highly doubt shipping is included. Taxes and processing fees would decrease with lower prices. I don't know the team either so there's no sense in nitpicking every dollar.

The other reason I piped up was because everyone else was piling on Niko and I don't think he deserved it.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Homebrew is a hobby to many, a side-job. That throws the whole salary part out the window. The rest certainly doesn't equal the cost. Boxes with inserts are $11. I highly doubt shipping is included. Taxes and processing fees would decrease with lower prices. I don't know the team either so there's no sense in nitpicking every dollar.

I still get paid for my hobbies and side jobs; usually more than I make at my day job, which I get compensated quite well for.

Read HeavyMachineGun's post; these carts are not cheap to produce, no matter what you're assuming.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
Original price of Neo Geo MVS games were around $500-600 and as much as $1000 a title during the later years. The King of Fighters games usually debuted in the higher end of that figure.

you forgot inflation too

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
And here I come to tell you you're kinda wrong. MVS games were priced that way because they were arcade games meant to make money for operators. That was the dev's way of pulling a profit from operators. Today it's a home market, those kinds of prices aren't going to fly with many because we won't be making money from this cart. The print runs are limited not only by scarce parts, but the few people willing to shell out that kind of cash.

Don't get me wrong, as a classic gamer I'm glad when teams can keep old hardware alive. But this is way above what I'm willing to support. Gimme the DC versions instead. It's still the same game after all.

We're not retarded. We know why they were priced like that. We know why SNK made two different versions, for arcade and home, so as to protect their profits. We know that games came out at high prices, then dipped a few months to a year later. You're not telling anyone here anything new, or what we didn't know.

The fact of the matter remains. MVS games were always more expensive when new, and do you forget that NG Dev is still targeting arcades with some of these releases. Sure that market is minuscule to say the least, but Fast Striker actually had a Free Play only version and a Credit version to keep the Arcade roots alive. I don't agree with that tactic, but whatevs.

So, seriously, stop spouting off in these threads like we're all a bunch of rich idiots that don't know anything about this hobby. I promise you, the people here have been in the game, and into gaming, for at least as long as you, if not many many years more.