New NGDEV Neo-Geo Game: Razion

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
I just thought it was cool that people where still developing for the system and was willing to show some monetary support.

I could have sworn you worded that differently.

francovel3

Crossed Swords Squire
Let's face it neo geo was intended for the wealthy home or person and if games were cheap then it kind of makes the system not what it was meant to be, it's not just about collecting carts it's about the love for snk and that's what makes people buy the games or consoles and yes it's expensive but that's life and shit happens and for you to say $150 for a brand new game well you might as well apologies for that comment and maybe the neo thugs might forgive you as it's only on page 3 and they will forget about you come page 4-5

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Let's face it neo geo was intended for the wealthy home or person and if games were cheap then it kind of makes the system not what it was meant to be, it's not just about collecting carts it's about the love for snk and that's what makes people buy the games or consoles and yes it's expensive but that's life and shit happens and for you to say $150 for a brand new game well you might as well apologies for that comment and maybe the neo thugs might forgive you as it's only on page 3 and they will forget about you come page 4-5

Lol no, I stand by that opinion. That might be what the neo geo was to you, but for me it was the fighting games.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Eh, this shit is getting too elitist for my blood. You can have tons of fun with the Neo on the cheap. There are loads of really fun MVS titles that can be had for next to nothing, and with things like the Omega and other CMVS systems, it's easier than ever before to have a cheaper MVS home setup if you don't want to splurge on home carts.

NG Dev games are pricey. They are, but they also sell at that price. You don't have to be rich to afford them... You simply have to say, I'd rather have this than something else. If other things trump these games in your mind, nobody is going to blame you, but the price is the price... Pay it or don't. There's absolutely no reason people should talk shit about the cost of these carts. We've been there and done that a million times before... Probably literally a million times... and they still sold each and every copy.

It doesn't matter if you'd sell them differently. It doesn't matter if you'd do longer runs. Maybe NG Dev would rather spend time developing and less time shipping out carts and running a store. Who cares. They make the games, they set the price, and people buy or they don't (they buy...) But this whole NG is only for rich people shit needs to stop. Maybe these carts are for the more spendy or stupid crowd, but they're open to all.

Now... Let's go back to saying how fucking sweet this game looks, cause I want it so bad in my slot... GET IT IN MY SLOT.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I have SO many mixed feelings about this! On the one hand it looks sick and I do want it, but it also feels like a fundraiser game for their ikari one. Basically something that they know how to make fast, to keep the development funds coming in. On the OTHER hand.. they probably really need the support to produce the meatier releases that they want to make.

Unless this is the "other" secret game they mentioned they were working on alongside the ikari one, but I expected that one to be a little more.. surprising.

It does look like a great shooter though, and I'm always happy to see more titles for the Neo.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
so I wasn't aware of issues with the Neo xyx DC port, anyone got some cliffnotes for me?

OT: I think this game looks gorgeous.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Okay, so... apologies for coming off as unimpressed by this revelation re: Razion, but...

This is, essentially, 'just' a revision of DUX... but for the NeoGeo.

So: DUX... DUX 1.5... REDUX/DUX 2... DUX 3: Razion?

The video shows that the game looks nice, regardless of the obvious heritage.

But then... Buyers who pre-ordered REDUX based on how great that footage looked were left with a sorry looking piece of shit at the end of their loyal Kickstarter pledges so... Who knows how this will actually turn out.

With a combination of this, shitty REDUX final game production quality not meeting the projected, or even, DUXs quality, and the complete misfires concerning bringing NeoXYX for DC... I can't exactly say I'm "feeling" NGDEVTEAM right now.

Shame, as I thought Fast Striker and Gunlord were superb. LHPB wasn't bad either.

WHAT I EXPECTED... was something along the lines of the small glimpse of shooter brilliance we were treated to in Stage 2 of Gunlord. Something akin to A Technosoft/Thunderforce sequel shooter for the NeoGeo.

Ah well...

NeoGeoNinja

so I wasn't aware of issues with the Neo xyx DC port, anyone got some cliffnotes for me?
Sure.

Basically, aside the obvious financial benefit (for the consumer) in releasing XYX for DC, NGDEVTEAM actually went to the bother of actually addressing some of the criticisms a portion of potential purchasers had with the NEOGEO version being a TATE ONLY shooter, by including a mode EXCLUSIVE to the DC version, which essentially, allows you to play the game in vertical orientation on a horizontal (normal!) TV i.e. TATE-IN-YOKO.

I, for one, was super grateful for this inclusion, as I don't have provisions for a rotated screen here at home and very much was happy enough to play it scaled (like a majority of my Saturn, DC & PS1/PS2 shmups) on my standard set up.

So, I happily plumped for the LE box set which, was around £100 all in.

However, MINUTES into the game arriving and my playing it in said, preferred set up, it became horrifically obvious something wasn't right.

First off: VERY noticeable input lag and, more importantly

Secondly: the game will crash, randomly, but regularly enough to piss you off

Essentially, this game is great for those wanting to run the TATE versions through their DC - as a great financial substitute to the NEO Cart releases, but for anyone who bought to just plug and play on their DC like me... It was a complete waste of time and money on my part :(

At least the sleeve artwork looks nice on the shelf...

DPsx7

Banned
Ok, so I think what they are doing is great and all. But $550 for an unlicensed game? WTF! Why is it so expensive compared to their DC releases? Why not something more reasonable like $100?

Totally. I know homebrew isn't cheap especially when it's a cart and not a disc. But $550 for a single game is obscene. I buy games to play, not to keep on a shelf. This damn game by itself costs more than I spent on both the Omega and my PS4.

In comparison I got some VB homebrew carts for a nice sane $75 each.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Totally. I know homebrew isn't cheap especially when it's a cart and not a disc. But $550 for a single game is obscene. I buy games to play, not to keep on a shelf. This damn game by itself costs more than I spent on both the Omega and my PS4.

In comparison I got some VB homebrew carts for a nice sane $75 each.

You are in the wrong scene then, that price isn't eyebrow raising for the Neo at all.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Another less-than-mediocre shooter for $400 WHERE DO I SIGN UP!?

DPsx7

Banned
Original price of Neo Geo MVS games were around $500-600 and as much as $1000 a title during the later years. The King of Fighters games usually debuted in the higher end of that figure.

I know it's hard for someone who wasn't here for any of this to know what the hell they're talking about. You know, we get that... You should probably not spout off bullshit you think as fact, though. A few of us have been here and seen what Neo Geo MVS prices were for new official games... and... Let's face it. You whining about the price isn't doing anything to fix it.

Want to change things? Get some friends, make a cool game for the Neo, and sell it for $100-150. We'll all be here supporting you like mad. Your bitterness isn't solving anything, so might as well be constructive with your angst.

And here I come to tell you you're kinda wrong. MVS games were priced that way because they were arcade games meant to make money for operators. That was the dev's way of pulling a profit from operators. Today it's a home market, those kinds of prices aren't going to fly with many because we won't be making money from this cart. The print runs are limited not only by scarce parts, but the few people willing to shell out that kind of cash.

Don't get me wrong, as a classic gamer I'm glad when teams can keep old hardware alive. But this is way above what I'm willing to support. Gimme the DC versions instead. It's still the same game after all.

DPsx7

Banned
You are in the wrong scene then, that price isn't eyebrow raising for the Neo at all.

Yes it is. And no I'm not, there's plenty to be had for better prices. That's why I chose MVS over AES. Gaming isn't an investment. I just like lots of games. If someone wants to feel elite for shelling out $1k on a AES Metal Slug, then whatever. I'll play the exact same game on my MVS for $60 and use the leftover cash to buy a ton of other stuff.

That's how I see it. My collection proves I'm in it for the entertainment and not the potential resell value.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
And here I come to tell you you're kinda wrong. MVS games were priced that way because they were arcade games meant to make money for operators. That was the dev's way of pulling a profit from operators. Today it's a home market, those kinds of prices aren't going to fly with many because we won't be making money from this cart.

Everything on a cart they have ever released has all sold out. You are wrong.

The print runs are limited not only by scarce parts, but the few people willing to shell out that kind of cash.

The reprints all sold out too. You are wrong again.

Gimme the DC versions instead. It's still the same game after all.

Wow a hat trick of wrong! The DC ports have always lacked a bit compared to the MVS releases. Especially XYX.

DPsx7

Banned
With so few available copies it doesn't mean the same thing to 'sell out'. So in fact I'm not wrong. Never have been.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I have SO many mixed feelings about this! On the one hand it looks sick and I do want it, but it also feels like a fundraiser game for their ikari one. Basically something that they know how to make fast, to keep the development funds coming in. On the OTHER hand.. they probably really need the support to produce the meatier releases that they want to make.

Unless this is the "other" secret game they mentioned they were working on alongside the ikari one, but I expected that one to be a little more.. surprising.

It does look like a great shooter though, and I'm always happy to see more titles for the Neo.

This.

I keep waiting for a new genre, or a pixel art shooter ala Blazing Star. Those 3D rendered enemies look really nice for a system like dreamcast or 3d enabled console, but for the neo I still prefer pure hand-drawn pixel.

As a sidenote: Jonmkl, I'm still in love with your avatar girl :thevt: :lolz:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
With so few available copies it doesn't mean the same thing to 'sell out'. So in fact I'm not wrong. Never have been.

?

Are you really just that stupid?

They make X amount of copies of a game and they all are sold before the title is even shipped.

In what definition of "sold out " does that not qualify as?

NeoGeoNinja

This.

I keep waiting for a new genre, or a pixel art shooter ala Blazing Star. Those 3D rendered enemies look really nice for a system like dreamcast or 3d enabled console, but for the neo I still prefer pure hand-drawn pixel.

Pretty sure, Blazing Star, Pulstar and PIsle 2, are all created using pre-rendered graphics, not at all dissimilar to Razion...

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Looks impressive!

I really didn't need this to be announced at this particular time though...

pipes

Okay....I get it....nobody is really that stupid. Good trolling man!

DPsx7

Banned
This cunt :lolz:

Do you have that on permanent copy/paste?

?

Are you really just that stupid?

They make X amount of copies of a game and they all are sold before the title is even shipped.

In what definition of "sold out " does that not qualify as?

What does X stand for? If I make one copy of a game that sells out it won't mean the same thing as a game with millions of copies selling out. So they produce a few thousand tops, that isn't a lot. Honestly I can see them overpricing the game to take advantage of the suckers, I mean customers that reliably pay that price.

It's a marketing trick. They can inflate prices due to low numbers. Could they produce more? Probably, and make more money doing so. They just wouldn't be able to charge a premium with extra copies available. Look at Metroid Prime Trilogy or Xenoblade on Wii for proof. These games didn't make a huge splash at first. When reports came in of low numbers demand jumped, prices went up. This caused GS to acquire more copies of both games which sorta mellowed out the spike in price.

Trust me I'm far from stupid. Rather it's you folks who may not be able to keep up with me.

pipes

Do you have that on permanent copy/paste?

What does X stand for? If I make one copy of a game that sells out it won't mean the same thing as a game with millions of copies selling out. So they produce a few thousand tops, that isn't a lot. Honestly I can see them overpricing the game to take advantage of the suckers, I mean customers that reliably pay that price.

It's a marketing trick. They can inflate prices due to low numbers. Could they produce more? Probably, and make more money doing so. They just wouldn't be able to charge a premium with extra copies available. Look at Metroid Prime Trilogy or Xenoblade on Wii for proof. These games didn't make a huge splash at first. When reports came in of low numbers demand jumped, prices went up. This caused GS to acquire more copies of both games which sorta mellowed out the spike in price.

Trust me I'm far from stupid. Rather it's you folks who may not be able to keep up with me.

Does DP stand for double penetration? You must be getting it in every hole as you're typing this bullshit.