New NGDEV Neo-Geo Game: Razion

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Maybe open the cart, boards could be backwards or on the wrong spot (top board and bottom board flipped). You have your other games for reference.

Yeah, I would give that a try. I remember someone received XYX with the boards in the wrong way so that's a possibility. I tried Razion in both my single and 4 slot m/b's with no issues.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Played it for the first time today and was very impressed overall. Maybe I suck but even the Novice mode is quite challenging. For those of us that missed the CE release, I cobbled together a shockbox insert. Hope this is OK to post - if not, LMK and I will remove: http://postimg.org/image/4dhcld3p3/

razion3.jpg

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
My only "complain" about the game so far is that the English language seems to be an afterthought, Japanese seems to be the main language in all documentation. That, and I cannot find a way to choose the ship I want to use. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

Regards.

pipes

My only "complain" about the game so far is that the English language seems to be an afterthought, Japanese seems to be the main language in all documentation. That, and I cannot find a way to choose the ship I want to use. Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.

Regards.

The ship type depends on the level of difficulty you choose. There really isn't an option.

pipes

I knew I was missing something obvious :) Thanks pipes.

Haha, no worries man.....it's similar to what they did with Fast Striker.

I've had time to put in a few runs in each difficulty and I find it to be really fun and challenging. Visually, it's pretty stunning especially considering the 25 year old hardware it's running on. The only gripe I have is the speed of the ship. It really needs to move a bit quicker. That's it really....it's a fantastic game. Worth every Penny once again....all 60,000 pennies lol.

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Can't wait to get my homecart. Hope it will be available at least in march or sth like that.

Elder

NEST Puppet
Haha, no worries man.....it's similar to what they did with Fast Striker.

I've had time to put in a few runs in each difficulty and I find it to be really fun and challenging. Visually, it's pretty stunning especially considering the 25 year old hardware it's running on. The only gripe I have is the speed of the ship. It really needs to move a bit quicker. That's it really....it's a fantastic game. Worth every Penny once again....all 60,000 pennies lol.

That's good to hear Pipes. I was on the fence because I wasn't sure I wanted another shooter or not. Glad to hear you're enjoying it and that it's worth the money.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I've been playing my Razion and no matter the score I make or the level I play, it does not ask for my initials ever, and all the scores are always kept in 0. Is that normal? where is it supposed to ask for the initials?

Thanks!!

pipes

I've been playing my Razion and no matter the score I make or the level I play, it does not ask for my initials ever, and all the scores are always kept in 0. Is that normal? where is it supposed to ask for the initials?

Thanks!!

Hmm, that's strange. As soon as the countdown to continue is over, the screen to add your initials should appear followed by the scoring table. I have no idea why it would be doing that.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Hmm, that's strange. As soon as the countdown to continue is over, the screen to add your initials should appear followed by the scoring table. I have no idea why it would be doing that.

Does the cart have internal memory to save the scores, or does it rely on the backup RAM of the MVS? Also, how do I insert coins when in MVS mode on an Omega CMVS? select button does nothing for me.

Thanks!!

Edit: Found some answers to my issues:

1. You cannot insert coins while using an Omega CMVS (and maybe others). You gotta set it for freeplay. Same thing happens with Gunlord.
2. I solved the scoring issue by setting my CMVS to MVS mode, playing and then it asked for my initials. After returning the CMVS to AES mode it still asks for initials. Maybe clearing the backup RAM also fixes the issue, I didn't try that.
3. Still curious to know if the cart has internal memory for scores (like Knight's Chance) or uses exclusively the backup RAM.

Edit 2: Got more answers:
1. The cart does not have internal memory. Tested it on anothe MV1C board, scores were clean. Tried with my main one, scores are there.
2. It seems you can only enter your initials if you do not use a continue. Once you continue, the game will not show you the "Enter initials" screen when you die. Strange, but so far it's my experience. Maybe something to be fixed in the first update?

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Sounds like Blazing Star. If you continue at all then the name on the scoreboard will say CONTINUE instead of your initials.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Do these bug fixes and such get done when they release the AES version?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I'm sad that once again soft dips are completely useless, and once again they do not honor the attract sound settings. The title screen plays music regardless of cabinet or game soft dip setting.

Gripe aside, game is brilliant. Beautiful in play, and so much nicer to actually control than to sit and watch on Youtube. I'm impressed. I too felt the ship was a little slow at first, but after a couple games it feels right to me. You always have control, the ship maneuvers effortlessly through the bullet patterns, and I never feel like I'm unable to escape harm's way.

Music is fantastic and fits the mood perfectly. Very moody where it needs to be, very driving and upbeat when the time calls. They've never disappointed in this area, and Razion continues that tradition.

So far I'm just getting started with it, but I am thoroughly impressed. Minus a few enemies that once in a while look like they could be doing more. The bunny-like grey ships in the first stage, for instance, just like to park once in a while, but they do make you worry about what they're going to do and if they'll start shooting. Not sure if that's intentional or something that can be tightened in future updates. Either way, doesn't detract, just stands out a little.

So yeah. Fix the attract sound settings. Damn thing is blasting now from my living room. I'd like to be able to leave this game on, as it looks gorgeous and there will be some people over this weekend and it would be nice to have it just on and at the ready, but the music is going to be too much to just play all day.

After a few patches, this will probably replace Fast Striker as my favorite from NG Dev Team. Really solid work.

PS: Pipes... The new wood case I got shows insert marks like an asshole. First insert caused some nice scratches ;) I instantly thought of you and said, "I should have just gotten a plastic cart at this rate if it was going to be so fucking fragile. At least then it would have probably already come with scratches on it." LOL. Such is the peril of a Neo-Geo gamer. ;)

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'm sad that once again soft dips are completely useless, and once again they do not honor the attract sound settings. The title screen plays music regardless of cabinet or game soft dip setting.

Gripe aside, game is brilliant. Beautiful in play, and so much nicer to actually control than to sit and watch on Youtube. I'm impressed. I too felt the ship was a little slow at first, but after a couple games it feels right to me. You always have control, the ship maneuvers effortlessly through the bullet patterns, and I never feel like I'm unable to escape harm's way.

Music is fantastic and fits the mood perfectly. Very moody where it needs to be, very driving and upbeat when the time calls. They've never disappointed in this area, and Razion continues that tradition.

So far I'm just getting started with it, but I am thoroughly impressed. Minus a few enemies that once in a while look like they could be doing more. The bunny-like grey ships in the first stage, for instance, just like to park once in a while, but they do make you worry about what they're going to do and if they'll start shooting. Not sure if that's intentional or something that can be tightened in future updates. Either way, doesn't detract, just stands out a little.

So yeah. Fix the attract sound settings. Damn thing is blasting now from my living room. I'd like to be able to leave this game on, as it looks gorgeous and there will be some people over this weekend and it would be nice to have it just on and at the ready, but the music is going to be too much to just play all day.

After a few patches, this will probably replace Fast Striker as my favorite from NG Dev Team. Really solid work.

PS: Pipes... The new wood case I got shows insert marks like an asshole. First insert caused some nice scratches ;) I instantly thought of you and said, "I should have just gotten a plastic cart at this rate if it was going to be so fucking fragile. At least then it would have probably already come with scratches on it." LOL. Such is the peril of a Neo-Geo gamer. ;)

Still waiting on mine, comments like this get me real excited. Best NGDev game yet? Strong words. I love all the games by NGDev that I have so far, toss up between Fast Striker and XYX for best game though. Lets see if NGDev outdid themselves.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Still waiting on mine, comments like this get me real excited. Best NGDev game yet? Strong words. I love all the games by NGDev that I have so far, toss up between Fast Striker and XYX for best game though. Lets see if NGDev outdid themselves.

I believe you will be pleasantly surprised when you play yours. It's a good game, IMHO comparable to Blazing Star, which I like a lot, however the graphics are more impressive than the Blazing Star ones.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It's very good but Blazing Star good? Umm, no. Comparable with Pulstar, maybe :D (j/k)

The hit detection is very generous - probably for the best considering the volume of shots fired at your ship - but I haven't quite gotten used to it yet.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
As good a Blazing star? Blazing star isn't even good. :lolz:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

Mine is now muted while in attract mode. The only part that sounds is while it explains the controls and in the high scores tables. All I did was playing the 161 cart (which messes with the backup memory) and then playing Razion. Will play a bit more with the settings and see if I get anything clearer.

As good a Blazing star? Blazing star isn't even good. :lolz:

Well...I like it, maybe even more than pulstar. I think the variety of ships and the game being easier than pulstar makes me happy :)

Edit: Well, I found some more things about Razion:

1. If you set your MVS board to freeplay, it will be freeplay always, no matter if your UniBIOS is set to Console/Arcade or if the soft dip is set to Home/MVS Arcade. No way to get the max 8 Continues in Freeplay.
2. The audio soft dip seems to work fine for me. I had to set it to off, reboot, then on, reboot and then off again for it to work, but after that every time I change it works. I blame for this the 161-in-1 which always messes with the backup memory.
3. Is very irritating that it breaks the UniBIOS' in-game menu, but then again, so does Gunlord.
4. Has anybody tested if the UniBIOS 3.2 saves Razion's high scores in the memory card? it would be great if it did.

Regards.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Mine is now muted while in attract mode. The only part that sounds is while it explains the controls and in the high scores tables. All I did was playing the 161 cart (which messes with the backup memory) and then playing Razion. Will play a bit more with the settings and see if I get anything clearer.

Well...I like it, maybe even more than pulstar. I think the variety of ships and the game being easier than pulstar makes me happy :)

Edit: Well, I found some more things about Razion:

1. If you set your MVS board to freeplay, it will be freeplay always, no matter if your UniBIOS is set to Console/Arcade or if the soft dip is set to Home/MVS Arcade. No way to get the max 8 Continues in Freeplay.
2. The audio soft dip seems to work fine for me. I had to set it to off, reboot, then on, reboot and then off again for it to work, but after that every time I change it works. I blame for this the 161-in-1 which always messes with the backup memory.
3. Is very irritating that it breaks the UniBIOS' in-game menu, but then again, so does Gunlord.
4. Has anybody tested if the UniBIOS 3.2 saves Razion's high scores in the memory card? it would be great if it did.

Regards.

I still can't get it 100% quiet. Plays music on the title and high score screen still. I'll mess around with it later tonight when things die down and see if clearing backup RAM, toggling some settings, and just messing around will help.

Oh, and the UNIBIOS issue is due to a missing font, I believe. Raz said something about it during a previous release. It might be something he could fix in a future update... Maybe, maybe not. Having another game in a slot with Razion fixes it, but of course that doesn't do anything for single slot or CMVS peeps.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I still can't get it 100% quiet. Plays music on the title and high score screen still. I'll mess around with it later tonight when things die down and see if clearing backup RAM, toggling some settings, and just messing around will help.

I have not been able to get it completely silent in attract mode. It always plays the music in the "How to play" and "High scores" parts, however the title screen is silent for me. I am using an MV1C board inside and Omega CMVS, what are you using? also, about the menu, you mean the in-game menu of the UniBIOS displays for you but corrupted or something? because here it does not display at all, pressing start+select has no effect at all.

Thanks!!

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I have not been able to get it completely silent in attract mode. It always plays the music in the "How to play" and "High scores" parts, however the title screen is silent for me. I am using an MV1C board inside and Omega CMVS, what are you using? also, about the menu, you mean the in-game menu of the UniBIOS displays for you but corrupted or something? because here it does not display at all, pressing start+select has no effect at all.

Thanks!!

Yeah, that does nothing for me. Need it quiet when it's not being played. It should honor the demo sound off setting.

As for the Uni, I haven't tried it, but I know with other versions of NG Dev games it had issues with drawing the in-screen menu. To get in the soft dips, I always just press the service switch with another game in a slot. Works fine... But just by itself Razion will not go into the soft dips. It is a bit of a pain, but since it doesn't really do anything with those dip settings...

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Yeah, that does nothing for me. Need it quiet when it's not being played. It should honor the demo sound off setting.

As for the Uni, I haven't tried it, but I know with other versions of NG Dev games it had issues with drawing the in-screen menu. To get in the soft dips, I always just press the service switch with another game in a slot. Works fine... But just by itself Razion will not go into the soft dips. It is a bit of a pain, but since it doesn't really do anything with those dip settings...

I think you can hit the hard dipswitch (8?) to enter the mvs menu, at least in XYX.