Thoughts on the original X-RGB2?

SGGG2

n00b
Probably, but I can't say for certain since I have no experience with a 2. You could always send Fudoh an email at the page I linked. Don't feel bad, the Extron's something every (non-mini) XRGB owner should have in their toolbox. I just ordered one myself!

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
From everything I've read and heard on the subject, the further you go backwards in the XRGB lineage, the greater the pcb compatibility, sacrificing features here and there.

purple

Geese's Thug
Extron rgb 203xi arrived today and i found out it doesn't fix xrgb2+ shaky sync, user dtc and peak settings helps a little bit but its still there. Lets see how gefen scaler will handle this problem. however full set of horizontal vertical knobs are very nice. i will try with 15khz sources soon, i wonder if it will fix my left shift issure i'm having with my samsung hdtv. Anyone know how can i test lag on my hdtv with 15khz sources?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I really think people need to keep in mind that earlier XRGB devices aren't ideal for LCD or HDTV's.

They are best with a CRT vga monitor.

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I really think people need to keep in mind that earlier XRGB devices aren't ideal for LCD or HDTV's.

I'm using mine with an HP w1707 LCD monitor, it seems to work alright although I get a little screen tearing when the screen scrolls horizontally (which is most likely the LCD's fault).

purple

Geese's Thug
im using it with 17 phillips lcd, picture is better than vga crt

SGGG2

n00b
Extron rgb 203xi arrived today and i found out it doesn't fix xrgb2+ shaky sync, user dtc and peak settings helps a little bit but its still there.

Did you try enabling DDSP? You'll lose the ability to adjust the screen when it's on.

I just received a Extron RGB 201rxi, strangely enough the image on the [XRGB> Extron > XSelect > Optoma] or [XRGB > Extron > Gefen] now has shaky vsync where it was stable before, but it fixed all the issues I was having with another transcoder setup [XRGB > Extron > Box1020 > Optoma] and looks mint with the Optoma.

The XRGB-3's meant for use with computer monitors. Compatibility with HDTV's is kinda poor, not sure about the others. The older XRGB's really shine when they're chained into another processor which solves the TV issue - unless you want to keep lag as low as possible, in which case your best bet's a compatible gaming monitor.

purple

Geese's Thug
Did you try enabling DDSP? You'll lose the ability to adjust the screen when it's on.

yes i did but unfortunately its same. this is weird ,whats making difference on your setup? i'm only using xrgb2+ with extron.

SGGG2

n00b
Dunno, but remember, I'm using a XRGB-3 not a 2. Enabling DDSP fixes any vsync issue for me, regardless of setup. Maybe something's wrong with the Extron and DDSP is broken?

purple

Geese's Thug
i noticed extreme heat after 15 minutes, but all functions seems working ok. its 45°C here in cyprus those days, i dont know if its related or something wrong with extron.

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Just vouching that the XRGB-2 looks great on my LCD monitor and decent on the TV through a VGA->HDMI adapter, though the adapter isn't of very good quality and jitters a bit. Confirmed it's just the adapter, and not the XRGB-2.

purple

Geese's Thug
i emailed fudoh other day and here is his solution for the problem

the Sync interfaces can help with it, but ultimately it's an issue between
the VGA port on your display and the XRGB2+. The XRGB does output SMTPE timings
(720x480p), while the VGA ports expects VESA timings (640x480p).

I would not go down the Gefen road. It works, but it's unneccessary.

If you buy a new TV anyway, just make sure that the TV has good processing
with component inputs and then use a VGA to COMPONENT transcoder between the
XRGB and the TV. This will fix your problems and not cause any additional lag.

Keep the Extron interface. It will come in handy behind the XRGB.

If you want a solution NOW, get a transcoder and a component to HDMI converter
and chain them up. Both are lagfree and going the component way will ensure
that the full 720x480p resolution of the XRGB is passed on to your display(s).

anyone tried?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Silly question:

Does the XRGB2 support and pass 50Hz content? I have read inflicting info on this.

I know there is an option in the menu for V_Sync Auto/60/50

Just curious if it actually supports 50Hz and displays it correctly (which I know also depends on the display).

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
That would be fabulous.
Seems to work alright despite a black bar on the bottom (which I was expecting anyway). That's just through RGB though, still not sure if it'll support PAL video as well.

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
I've been wanting an XRGB-2 for a long time. Really considering it now that I have an X68k and there is a special mode for this. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it? I'm hoping it is some sort of downscan mode specifically from the X68k 31khz:

from the wiki:
"Options → Low screen resolution → ON
XRGB-2 plus will be able to output at 320x240 (15 kHz) and 640x400 (24 kHz).
Note : this option should be used only with a classic japanese PC monitor (PC-988x and X68k). "

great to know that recapping fixed your issues!

-Segasonicfan

purple

Geese's Thug
I dont see any low resolution option on my plus, you can only switch between 31khz and 47khz by holding up or down button when powering. that should be for non plus model which also has extra japanese pc monitor connector.

segasonicfan

Camel Slug
I dont see any low resolution option on my plus, you can only switch between 31khz and 47khz by holding up or down button when powering. that should be for non plus model which also has extra japanese pc monitor connector.

Thanks for confirming that. Yeah, must be the regular XRGB2. Any owners out there that have tested this feature? I would love to know! :)

-Segasonicfan

purple

Geese's Thug
Thanks for confirming that. Yeah, must be the regular XRGB2. Any owners out there that have tested this feature? I would love to know! :)

-Segasonicfan

Correction: I found out there is a trick that puts plus model into 15khz mode by pressing left right and select butttons together and power it up. The trick works as my monitor shows unsupported signal message but i don't know anything more.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Seems to work alright despite a black bar on the bottom (which I was expecting anyway). That's just through RGB though, still not sure if it'll support PAL video as well.

Just as a follow up to my question, I picked up a XRGB-2 recently and have been using it quite a bit.

As far as the Amiga goes, it works beautifully with a 50Hz PAL Amiga. However I would suggest a CRT monitor with it for best results since not all LCD's handle 50Hz.