Castlevania: The Adventure papercraft diorama

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
wow. I just noticed this thread . Very cool stuff ! my favorite is the megaman one. great work !

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the positive feedback again, everyone!

I've been working on other stuff lately, but I imagine that I'll get back to making Gameboy papercraft dioramas again at some point. A WWF ring and wrestlers (probably WWF Superstars 2) is the most likely candidate in my mind at this point in time, but that may change.

Anyhoo, here's some of said other stuff:

Tsukumogami Ono (which translates to something like Haunted Relic Axe) from the 99 Spirits PC game:

tsukumogami_ono_by_kramwartap-d7rwugx.jpg

Ido no Kagi (Water Well Key) from the Wizardry Side Story III: Scripture of the Dark Gameboy game (my design, as there's no actual picture of it in the game):

wizardry_scripture_of_the_dark_water_well_key_by_kramwartap-d7q7hyb.jpg

Alice in Wonderland Ace of Spades mini action figure:

alice_in_wonderland_ace_of_spades_by_kramwartap-d7u94n6.jpg

Just a generic snail I made with bread clay I had left over from a Cinderella casting project:

CND_bread_clay05_zps6d286a90.jpg

@M

20 Year Member
FS_2n1_papercraft_diorama_pivot_zpsa9c6b19d.gif~original

For my eighth Nintendo Gameboy papercraft diorama, I selected the forested area from the beginning of the first stage of Culture Brain's 1991 Fighting Simulator 2-in-1 Flying Warriors video game (original 1990 Japanese title: Hiryuu no Ken Gaiden, and that translates to Fist of the Flying Dragon Side Story). The "2-in-1" part of the moniker refers to the game's two modes: a traditional martial arts tournament and a much longer and more involved sidescrolling action adventure.

I've always been a fan of the "Mind's Eye" combat system of the Hiryuu no Ken games--in a nutshell, circles briefly, and randomly, appear on either the head, chest, or legs of your, or your opponent's, body and you must then quickly strike, or protect, the targeted region to inflict, or prevent, damage. It's a relatively simplistic form of virtual martial arts, compared to modern fighting games, but it still requires good reflexes and intense focus to win bouts. I bought this particular game, a little over two decades ago, purely on the strength of an advertisement I saw for it in a video game magazine--aside from being captivated by fighting titles in general, I imagine that the "two games in one" was probably a big selling point for the younger me.

FS_screen_zpsf1a7f7a8.png~original

Here's the same area, from the 2000 Gameboy Color port, which was only released in Japan and retitled Hiryuu no Ken Retsuden (Tales of the Fist of the Flying Dragon). I wasn't even aware that the original black and white version got colorized until I started doing research for this project!

HnK_R_screen_zps4c65756c.png~original

This is the sheet I put together of ripped and edited game graphics (feel free to save and print it out if you want to try making a similar diorama). Technically, only the bat, sludge man (which were changed to rotting zombies in the Gameboy Color version for some reason), toothed worm, and clawed tanuki Dark Dragons monsters appear in the first level, but I put all of the standard enemy characters on the sheet anyway.

FS_sheet_zpsdac0bfff.png~original

I've noticed that the tops of my Gameboy papercraft diorama bases have a tendency to warp in a concave manner, from the wet glue used to apply the "floor" graphics, so, this time I made a simple # shaped support structure and put that inside the hollow form in an attempt to prevent that. I can't say that it was 100% successful, but it seemed to help decrease the amount of warping that occurred.

FS_2n1_fab1_zps4f84a68d.jpg~original

The components aren't attached to one another yet, but this is what I had accomplished by the end of the second day: the base, the background, the two smaller tree trunks, the protagonist Rick Stalker (his name is Ryuhi in the original Japanese version), and the clawed tanuki Dark Dragons enemy. If you don't already know, tanuki are mythological Japanese tricksters that resemble a cross between a raccoon and a dog. The ones in this game are out for blood, but, historically, while they love to pull pranks and swindle their victims out of food, drink, or money, tanuki rarely cause any deliberate physical harm.

FS_2n1_fab2_zpscba2a1bb.jpg~original

The finished product:

FS_2n1_papercraft_diorama_zps23c9bee2.jpg~original

Materials:
Cardboard, game graphics printed out on white paper (including some leftover bits from the Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins diorama), white glue, newsprint, lined white notebook paper, permanent marker, and transparent plastic (figure stands only).

Dimensions:
8.8 cm (3.5") x 7.7 cm (3.0") [widest point x highest point]

Time:
Five days: September 4th, 6th, 7th, 9th, and 10th (2014).

Last edited:

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Holy jeez. I'm a little late to the party on this one, but these are amazing.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
These diorama are turning out as something truly special, can't wait to see more.

Simply love that Ace of Spades btw and all those accessories look fantastic.

Last edited:

@M

20 Year Member
Last edited:

Beelay

New Challenger
Wow, I'm very late to this thread, but these dioramas are all amazing!

@M

20 Year Member
@city41: Thanks for the praise and updated Konami UK link!

S-Knight from the 1995/1996 King's Field Sony Playstation rpg.

KF_s-knight_rotation_zps10cfcee1.gif

kf_s_knight_by_kramwartap-d81xfw0.jpg

@M

20 Year Member
OMFG_roc_the_house_rotate_zpsom3vhovr.gif~original

Phantom Birdhouse, a.k.a., Roc the House (I prefer the latter name to the former), is a character concept, designed and submitted by forum member "Eastwestkid", for October Toys' OMFG (Outlandish Mini Figure Guys) Kickstarter-funded toy series, that I decided to model in three dimensions. I believe that the "Phantom Birdhouse" title is a reference to the name of one of the OMFG series 1 figures, the Phantom Outhouse, and Rocs are giant, mythological birds, hence the word pun on "Rock the House". Visually, one could also draw comparisons to the Slavic witch Baba Yaga's chicken-legged house.

This is the illustration of Roc the House, posted by Eastwestkid, that I worked from. I love the design as-is, but I did decide to add tail feathers protruding from the back of the birdhouse, both to make the rear view more visually interesting (which would be rather plain otherwise) and to have the avian erupting from its home motif represented on all four sides. I also briefly considered having an eye peering out from the entry hole, but I think it looks cooler and creepier with nothing there.

OMFG_roc_the_house_art_zps6d751851.jpg~original

groupshot_113014_zpsd880d782.jpg~original