Naked rats? Not in my house!

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Alas, when I found this secondhand Playmates 1988 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Splinter, for fifty cents, at a thrift store, he was naked, except for his black belt. Truth be told, the thrift store actually had two copies of this Splinter figure the day that I bought mine, which was rather unusual. Only one had its belt though, so, I obviously bought the more complete version (and, no, I didn't want twins), as they were both the same price anyway.

TMNT_splinter03_zps511aff8e.jpg~original

An unclad Splinter isn't something I enjoy seeing, so, I decided to make him a replacement robe:

TMNT_splinter_robe1_zps03aa06ef.jpg~original

The first thing that I did was search for a photo of the original garment, laid out flat, so that I could copy the pattern. The person who was selling this item was also kind enough to list its width, 4.5" (11.4 cm), which was very helpful for sizing purposes.

TMNT_splinter_robe2_zpsa70b9f0b.jpg~original

Next, I scaled that reference image, on my computer screen, until it was the exact dimensions that I wanted. I then placed a piece of tracing paper onto my moniter and carefully traced the outline and neck hole of the garment.

TMNT_splinter_robe3_zps05b0a75e.jpg~original

After that, I transferred the tracing onto a piece of sturdier paper, a page from a lined notebook, and cut it out to use as my pattern.

TMNT_splinter_robe4_zps9952845f.jpg~original

I affixed the pattern to an old, red T-shirt, with transparent tape, so that it wouldn't move around on me while I was cutting it out. The fabric used for the original robe was more of a magenta color, but, I don't have any clothing of that hue, and I wasn't going to go out and buy something just for a quick little project like this, so, I made do with what was on hand. Splinter is often depicted wearing a crimson robe anyway, so, it's not like it looks out of place on him.

TMNT_splinter_robe5_zps44adf9a3.jpg~original

Finally, I cut the robe out with a pair of very fine, sharp scissors (fingernail trimming ones to be exact). Note: to cut out the "T" opening in the neck, fold the fabric in half, along the center of the "T".

TMNT_splinter_robe6_zps8ea7a060.jpg~original

And voila, here it is. If I had to do it all over again, I'd make it just a smidge bigger/longer, but, all-in-all, I think it came out very well.

TMNT_splinter01_zpsd6ae3b0b.jpg~original

TMNT_splinter02_zps65e90c54.jpg~original

Last edited:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Cool and a belated Happy B-Day!

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
is he your waifu now??

kidding kidding!:glee: sorry but I'm pretty sure it was obligatory?

your stuff is always really cool! makes me jealous of how creative you are (I've been ''creative'' but never had such awesome results -usually more like a pile than something detailed).

Last edited:

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
@synbiosfan:
Thanks!

@Karou:
Yes, he's my waifu now (but I'm willing to swap, if you're interested--it's an open relationship). I've been picking rat hairs out of my teeth everyday, and I think I've contracted some sewer-born parasites, but it is SO worth it. Splinter can do things with that tail that you can't even begin to imagine.