Offical Omega CMVS Tech Support Thread

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Does anyone with an Omega also play on consumer Trinitron sets from the 2000's?

I recently bought a new Omega and am having strange behavior straight out of the box, this happens on three Sony sets from the flat era aperture grille models (FS100, FS120 and FV300). The behavior I get is some continuous wiggle throughout the picture. For example on boot with no game looking at the test pattern the lines are wiggling gently in a Snake movement kind of motion. Not noticeable in fast moving games but it's a real nuisance in non action games. No other console has ever done this on any of my crt's. It's not dirty power cause I use a power conditioner.

If anyone with a flat aperture grille trinitron from that era could test to see if they get this behavior out of their Omega that would be of great help.

I contacted Quan but he's left me on a "we're troubleshooting your problem" message and it's been a few days and haven't heard anything since.

BTW Jackafur, I get that waviness too. It's really annoying in composite and S-video but barely noticeable through component.

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Are you using composite, S-vid, or component?

Is your video cable running parallel to any power cabling?

Quan will get back to you. But he is a very busy man and sometimes it might take him a little bit as he's pretty much a one man operation (I think he has some help on the BLW assembly, but on Omega stuff I've never heard him mention anyone else assisting).

I've got a pair of Wega flat tubes, but don't have either of my Omegas hooked up to them. I'll see if I can get one of em hooked up this weekend and see if either of my Omegas do the same thing on the Sony's. They both run great on my Loewe though and I've not seen the issue you describe on that CRT.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
That would be awesome if you could try that out. All you'd need to do is boot with no game and check the test grid. If you have the video issue too it would be most noticeable on the left or right of the screen, you would see the lines from the test grid gently move (or distort/warp) around instead of being rock solid.

I have the composite/s video combo cable that Quan included, and the component cable he makes. This video anomaly happens with both however. I don't believe I have any power cabling in the walls next to the tv's that could interfere. I have about 8 game systems hooked up to my main tv (the fv300). All give me a rock solid picture with no wobble of any kind. I did have problems with the Sega Genesis, but it turned out to be a power issue, I've been using a power conditioner and have had no issues since.

I tried the Omega under various conditions, different areas, different outlets, different connections but no luck on my crt's. I bet if I still had my pro monitor it wouldn't occur there.

Thanks for letting me know. Huge respect to Quan for making these. I didn't know he was a one man operation (he uses the word "we" in his emails, I guess he means the royal "we"? ;p). Guess as a one man operation he does the best he can.

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
When I was referring to the power cabling/video cabling issue I meant any power cabling, not just stuff in walls. Like is the power cable for the Omega running directly alongside the video cable for it. I used to be an electrician and you couldn't run low voltage (audio/video/phone/cable/etc) lines parallel to line voltage (aka power) lines. You needed at least 12" space between low voltage & line voltage cabling when they're run parallel. But you can run them perpendicular and that would be fine.

Basically I'm trying to make sure you're ruling out electrical interference messing with your video signal.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
How long does it take from order for it to come in? I've been NeoGeoless for over a week already with no email updates.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Bubba996> The video cable goes in a different direction from the power cable and they're at least 3 feet away from each other at their extremities. On one tv there were no other devices hooked up so I would assume it wouldn't have happened there had that been the problem. Thanks for that explanation though, I didn't realize they could interfere with each other by presence alone.

wingzrow> Took me about 3 weeks before he shipped it, arrived a few days later.

Last edited:

SmaMan

Cheng's Errand Boy
Just got my Omega in and lovin' it so far! Great work, Quan!

I just had a small question. I noticed the hard dipswitch 7 for "Free Play" is pressed in. Now, call me crazy, but I kinda like pressing select to "insert coin" before I hit start in MVS mode. Does anyone know of any issues with the Omega or the Unibios if I turned that dipswitch off?

Again, I don't really need this feature, so if it'll be too much trouble, or I'll have to keep opening the console up to switch it back and forth for different things, I'm ok with leaving it be.

How long does it take from order for it to come in? I've been NeoGeoless for over a week already with no email updates.

Took mine a little over a month. I ordered on Cyber Monday and it arrived earlier this week, so the holiday rush was definitely a factor. I think he also had a shipping issue not long ago. Give him time. As others have said it's pretty much a one-man operation, though you wouldn't think it. Definitely worth the wait.

Last edited:

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I just had a small question. I noticed the hard dipswitch 7 for "Free Play" is pressed in. Now, call me crazy, but I kinda like pressing select to "insert coin" before I hit start in MVS mode. Does anyone know of any issues with the Omega or the Unibios if I turned that dipswitch off?

You won't have any problems. I specifically requested to have my dip switches set to default before assembly was completed and it works just great. Since the UniBios takes care of inserting coins, it works just fine.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I envy both of you for having units in perfect working order. :/

I tried my Omega again. Hooked it up carefully separating the video and power cables from everything else and keeping them away from each other. Made no difference what so ever. Touching and moving the cables while it's on doesn't affect the wavy warping/image wobble behavior either.

I've tried again the different connections, different tv's. Cleaning the connections of the cables, no difference. I think I'm running out of things I can do to troubleshoot. Last thing I can think of would be to try it at someone's else's house on a Trinitron tv of the flat Wega variety like the three I have, but the only person I know with one lives a couple hours away. I also suspect it won't make a difference with my unit. :/

Would have been helpful if I had a friend with an Omega to test on my tv's but the next best thing is still hoping one of you gentlemen can try on your Wega.

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I envy both of you for having units in perfect working order. :/

I tried my Omega again. Hooked it up carefully separating the video and power cables from everything else and keeping them away from each other. Made no difference what so ever. Touching and moving the cables while it's on doesn't affect the wavy warping/image wobble behavior either.

I've tried again the different connections, different tv's. Cleaning the connections of the cables, no difference. I think I'm running out of things I can do to troubleshoot. Last thing I can think of would be to try it at someone's else's house on a Trinitron tv of the flat Wega variety like the three I have, but the only person I know with one lives a couple hours away. I also suspect it won't make a difference with my unit. :/

Would have been helpful if I had a friend with an Omega to test on my tv's but the next best thing is still hoping one of you gentlemen can try on your Wega.

I wonder if what you are seeing is from the TV processing the image and not the omega? One of my TVs gives me jailbars when I connect the omega to it, but if I connect it using the exact same cables to my Toshiba CRT the image is perfect. Just my experience though.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I wish I had jailbars. My problem is with the image being unstable. It's not dramatic but it's enough to ruin the experience in any game that doesn't have scrolling screens. It also distracts during cutscenes and high score pages (the numbers and names in the scores look as if they're gently dancing). Happens on 3 different Sony tv's (all my crt's basically).

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I wish I had jailbars. My problem is with the image being unstable. It's not dramatic but it's enough to ruin the experience in any game that doesn't have scrolling screens. It also distracts during cutscenes and high score pages (the numbers and names in the scores look as if they're gently dancing). Happens on 3 different Sony tv's (all my crt's basically).

Yea thats a bummer, I'm sure Quan will get back to you soon.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
He did! Got a message from him tonight asking me to send it back to him for repair. Hope it's an easy fix. Wouldn't want it to take up too much of his time. Now the painful part, waiting for it to come back in full working order. :')

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
He did! Got a message from him tonight asking me to send it back to him for repair. Hope it's an easy fix. Wouldn't want it to take up too much of his time. Now the painful part, waiting for it to come back in full working order. :')

I'm really interested in hearing what the issue is, as I've got a similar thing going on with my Omega (albeit less severe than the vid Jackafur posted).

Quan, I'd really appreciate it if you share in here what the problem was. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I'm really interested in hearing what the issue is, as I've got a similar thing going on with my Omega (albeit less severe than the vid Jackafur posted).

Quan, I'd really appreciate it if you share in here what the problem was. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

I think what he does in cases like this, is he ends up swapping out the unit as its much faster than trying to trouble shoot the hardware. So it may be awhile before he attempts to fix this specific MVS, if ever.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Maybe this is why it's taking so long for him to ship. I hope it's not a big issue.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I think what he does in cases like this, is he ends up swapping out the unit as its much faster than trying to trouble shoot the hardware. So it may be awhile before he attempts to fix this specific MVS, if ever.

Is that so. I think he might be testing mine out first because he wanted me to send the cables too. I was wondering whether the board itself could be the problem.

If you're referring to the messy reds with the lines flowing through in Jackafur's video then that's actually a separate issue. I had it too, it's rather bad in composite and still somewhat noticeable in S-video, but it's really not a problem using component (it's barely noticeable actually). My main issue and reason for sending it back in was with image stability.

I took a few videos with my cellphone before I shipped it back. Video quality is very poor and the issue is less noticeable than in person (perhaps the cellphone does some correcting of the shake). You can still make it out enough to see what it was. If I stood by a tall building it would look like the building was doing a little wiggle dance for me.

https://youtu.be/fidh9pltpzw
https://youtu.be/a0yJh-NKS2g

The second video was from a different tv in a different room. This problem does not occur on LCD's but it does on all the crt's I've tried it on.

Last edited:

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hey Doom,
I just tested my Omega on a Sony Trinitron Model KV-24FV300 and my Sony Trinitron does the same thing you posted in your video. I then tried the omega on a projection tube Sony I have and the waviness did not occur nor has it occurred on my modern display either. I wonder why it behaves that way with Sony Trinitrons? Let me know what you find out from Quan.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Day_Man,
Great find. I appreciate that you tested this. My guess is that this problem affects a variety of Sony sets because I have three different models that range from 2002 to 2004 and all had this problem. I have a friend who has a cmvs of a different make (I don't remember where he bought it) and he runs it on his Trinitron FS120 and it runs without a hitch. I guess this means theoretically a fix should be possible. I hope Quan will find a solution for this.

It's kind of odd no one noticed this before. I would think somebody would have found this out, Sony Trinitron of the flat variety are all over the place and very common. It's like the default tv gamers pick up off Craigslist now a days.

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I've got a D24E1WU & a PVM-20M2MDU. As soon as My Omega comes in I can check for you if it helps any. (Like I'm not going to do that anyway :snack:)

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
I've got a D24E1WU & a PVM-20M2MDU. As soon as My Omega comes in I can check for you if it helps any. (Like I'm not going to do that anyway :snack:)

No worries, I'm almost sure you won't have that issue on those monitors. Professional and broadcasting monitors usually don't get affected by the same video anomalies and strange behaviors that can affect consumer tubes and arcade monitors. I used to have one before but I'm fond of the more classic look of low res monitors so I moved back to consumer tubes.

The Omega is a work of beauty otherwise so I'm confident you won't regret the wait.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
No worries, I'm almost sure you won't have that issue on those monitors. Professional and broadcasting monitors usually don't get affected by the same video anomalies and strange behaviors that can affect consumer tubes and arcade monitors. I used to have one before but I'm fond of the more classic look of low res monitors so I moved back to consumer tubes.

The Omega is a work of beauty otherwise so I'm confident you won't regret the wait.

You know I think I actually have 2 sony trinitrons from 2000 or so in storage. Do you have the exact model number of the TV that's having the issue? Would be funny if I had the same Television.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
You know I think I actually have 2 sony trinitrons from 2000 or so in storage. Do you have the exact model number of the TV that's having the issue? Would be funny if I had the same Television.

I have an FS100, FS120 and an FV300. All three are of the silver casing, flat aperture grille era tubes. If you have one of these or a model close, I guess the video problem might occur.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Jamma Nation says you shouldn't use a CD controller on an Omega without an extension cord. Any reason why?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Jamma Nation says you shouldn't use a CD controller on an Omega without an extension cord. Any reason why?

The controller port pins on the omega aren't tapered like the original SNK ones. Sometimes the stubby tip ends up pushing the ring pin in the NGCD pad further into the housing. This is why I stopped selling NGCD pads, I had too many complaints and they all came from people with Omegas.