Offical Omega CMVS Tech Support Thread

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It's normal since the MV1C doesn't have a Z80 per se.

Ah ok cool, many thanks for clarifying Xian Xi thats a relief. I presume the unibios has a standard hardware test for all MVS boards, so as you say if any of the newer revisions such as the MV1C or MV1B that miss the earlier chips then you get the fail result. Would I be correct to assume that a stock MV1C bios is tailored to the hardware test process?

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
All other video outputs are based off encoded RGB output so the video signal itself can't be bad otherwise component would look bad as well. Sounds like it's either your cable or something going on w the monitor or switch.

Thanks for the tips. I tried going direct- bypassing the switch- and it still looks noticeably darker than component. So I guess at this point it's safe to say it's either the cable or I'll have to adjust the pots like Vendest suggested. Hopefully it's not an issue with the system itself.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Thanks for the tips. I tried going direct- bypassing the switch- and it still looks noticeably darker than component. So I guess at this point it's safe to say it's either the cable or I'll have to adjust the pots like Vendest suggested. Hopefully it's not an issue with the system itself.

Ad madman wrote: All the outputs of the CMVS are derived from the RGB. If RGB had any issue, all the rest of the outputs would have the same or worst issues. Since component is OK, the RGB should be OK too. most likely your cable or your connection to the display has the problem.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It actually all depends on how the circuit is setup. you guys are assuming the RGB output is bypassed before the encoder. Only Quan can confirm if that's how the circuit is setup. I know the console uses a CXA1145 like the AES and might be using the RGB passthrough which should then go through the normal cap and resistor for AC coupling but that depends like I said.

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
So according to Quan the RGB Scart cable always looks darker. He says the image quality I'm getting is normal, but I'm extremely unsatisfied with the RGB output on my Sony PVM.

Would installing a sync stripper or something else improve the dark picture output? Feeling like I flushed $35 down the toilet buying this cable lol. Component just looks so much better it's ridiculous.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So according to Quan the RGB Scart cable always looks darker. He says the image quality I'm getting is normal, but I'm extremely unsatisfied with the RGB output on my Sony PVM.

Would installing a sync stripper or something else improve the dark picture output? Feeling like I flushed $35 down the toilet buying this cable lol. Component just looks so much better it's ridiculous.

You could probably mod the system by bypassing the RGB output and grabbing it after the cap/resistor combo from the CXA1145. It wouldn't affect component since you won't be using RGB and component at the same time but you would need to remove the connection it has from where it's pulling the dark RGB from. I've never tried it myself but in theory you could do it.

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
Awesome thanks for the info man. Though it sounds like something I would have no idea how to do, but good to know that the option exists at least lol.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
i just tested the composite on my omega recently and it looks REALLY bad. I know composite is shit but this is pretty next level. Normally I use component or scart but I dont ever remember composite being this bad. particularly with the reds like at 6 seconds.
this isnt normal right?

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
i just tested the composite on my omega recently and it looks REALLY bad. I know composite is shit but this is pretty next level. Normally I use component or scart but I dont ever remember composite being this bad. particularly with the reds like at 6 seconds.
this isnt normal right?

I do not see anything different in your video compared to the composite video I saw when I had my Omega. What is your concern with it?

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I do not see anything different in your video compared to the composite video I saw when I had my Omega. What is your concern with it?

maybe i really am i just spoiled from RGB. I dunno the letters and reds looked really "wavy".

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
maybe i really am i just spoiled from RGB. I dunno the letters and reds looked really "wavy".

Oh I see. I had the same waviness using the Omega with composite on my LCD TV, I think that's the way it is. Maybe because it is not expected you get an Omega to use it with composite. I tried mine with Component and S-video, and they looked very nice.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Oh I see. I had the same waviness using the Omega with composite on my LCD TV, I think that's the way it is. Maybe because it is not expected you get an Omega to use it with composite. I tried mine with Component and S-video, and they looked very nice.

yea usually I use component with mine on a PVM and it looks great. The only reason I'm even bothering checking out the composite is because im running metal slug 3 at AGDQ and they capture composite. I'll have to check out the s-video and see if the "wavyness" isnt as bad.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
yea usually I use component with mine on a PVM and it looks great. The only reason I'm even bothering checking out the composite is because im running metal slug 3 at AGDQ and they capture composite. I'll have to check out the s-video and see if the "wavyness" isnt as bad.

I don't recall having waviness using s-video, however I did not have a PVM then, I used an LCD TV.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
For what it's worth, I have the same waviness using composite/s-video. Its not quite as bad as the video you posted, but definitely noticeable. It also comes and goes, so sometimes its wavy sometimes not. I'm not sure if its interference or an issue with my lcd. Component doesnt have any waviness.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
if you jiggle or move your cable around does it have any effect on the waviness? I noticed some sync issues when using RGB on my PVM and it occurred when the power cable for the omega was overlapping the scart cable.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
if you jiggle or move your cable around does it have any effect on the waviness? I noticed some sync issues when using RGB on my PVM and it occurred when the power cable for the omega was overlapping the scart cable.

ill look into this over the weekend and report back.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member

maybe a snap on ferrite bead would help?

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Does anyone have a direct capture youtube video of the Omega system in action? I want to buy one, but all this talk of the RGB video being too dark has me worried (who am I kidding, I'm probably going to buy one regardless). Also, am I missing something or does the omega console not come with a Euro scart cable?

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I can't speak for RGB, but I've got mine hooked up via Component/240p on a CRT, and I wouldn't say the image is too dark.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Does anyone have a direct capture youtube video of the Omega system in action? I want to buy one, but all this talk of the RGB video being too dark has me worried (who am I kidding, I'm probably going to buy one regardless). Also, am I missing something or does the omega console not come with a Euro scart cable?

No, its not dark at all. The system only comes with a composite cable. The Euro SCART and Component cables are sold separately. I think they're $15 a pop.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If anyone complains that the Omega is too dark then whatever other system they are comparing it to is probably too light. People often confuse jacking the brightness up as looking "better."

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I recently had some issues with scart video desyncing on my framemeister. It was a mix of little random flickers and multi-second drops, but composite was fine. (well, as fine as it ever was :) ) I ordered another scart cable as that was the easiest thing it could be, and I lucked out with that being the issue. I may buy a couple more.

Just posting in case anybody runs into similar.

There weren't any obvious issues with the old cable. Nothing seemed out of place inside the big end, and prodding down its length didn't seem to reproduce the desync reliably.

Last edited:

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy

so jiggling the wire around didnt really fix the issue. I also tested the s-video out and it was fine. I'll try throwing on one of those snap on ferrite things... but since the s-video and composite cable are the same cable I'm not sure if it will help or not.

Tomorrow when im less lazy ill make RGB vs Component video. Although im not sure if I can capture RGB from a neo geo. I couldnt capture RGB from my mv1t. For whatever reason my pexhdcap didnt like the signal. If the RGB coming from the omega isnt processed i'll probably get the same results. Think it has to do with the neo geos non standard frame rate or something.

Edit: So like I thought I wasnt able to capture RGB from the omega. Doesn't really surprise me but I can't make the video I promised. Also Adding a ferrite core to the composite cable didnt solve the issue with the waviness.

Last edited: