Offical Omega CMVS Tech Support Thread

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
I thought about this for a bit and it would be far easier to add rca breakouts on the scart cable than install rca jacks on the system.

I tried that the other day...but i did not get stereo?...i tested on last resort...it seemed mono....thing is my trinitron packed in!!!...that had audio outs & i connected them to my amp & i got STEREO??....this new/old telly does not have audio outs!!..so i tapped off the scart lead end & got only mono???...please advise wiring & make simple !!.

Just my bit...i think these should come with audio jacks fitted as standard...or 3.5 headphone jack.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I tried that the other day...but i did not get stereo?...i tested on last resort...it seemed mono....thing is my trinitron packed in!!!...that had audio outs & i connected them to my amp & i got STEREO??....this new/old telly does not have audio outs!!..so i tapped off the scart lead end & got only mono???...please advise wiring & make simple !!.

Just my bit...i think these should come with audio jacks fitted as standard...or 3.5 headphone jack.

PM me some photos of your work and I'll help you get it sorted out.

Neo Gold

PM me some photos of your work and I'll help you get it sorted out.
No point now...I put it back how it was....but I attached to pin 2/right on the scart lead & pin 6 left on the other. ground was pin 4 between them both....I got total sound. but no stereo?.
both red/white then plugged into amp.
Thanks

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
No point now...I put it back how it was....but I attached to pin 2/right on the scart lead & pin 6 left on the other. ground was pin 4 between them both....I got total sound. but no stereo?.
both red/white then plugged into amp.
Thanks

Sounds about right. Strange how you're not getting stereo out of it.

Neo Gold

Sounds about right. Strange how you're not getting stereo out of it.

Yeah...i know!?...its easy to tell with Last resort...as when you move the ship to the left of the screen you get missle shot from that speaker & vice-versa...middle equal etc etc...kinda cool for stereo this shmup!!...UNLESS my old lead is crossbleeding ?.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Yeah...i know!?...its easy to tell with Last resort...as when you move the ship to the left of the screen you get missle shot from that speaker & vice-versa...middle equal etc etc...kinda cool for stereo this shmup!!...UNLESS my old lead is crossbleeding ?.

Could be possible that one of the signals is shorting to ground or that you have a mono cable that is just combining the two signals. Hard to tell without seeing what you did.

Neo Gold

Could be possible that one of the signals is shorting to ground or that you have a mono cable that is just combining the two signals. Hard to tell without seeing what you did.

Ok Quan....i rechecked my wiring & it was correct...branched off the pins on the scart lead as previously explained....
This is what i get....plugged into TV ...MONO...unplug the scart lead...Bingo...full glorious stereo!!!...so yeah?....any ideas...do i need to add an extra ground to the plug body ?..strange this.

NealGeo

n00b
I just got a new TV and my Omega that works with my old TV using S-video gives no picture and no sound with the component cable on my newer TV

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I just got a new TV and my Omega that works with my old TV using S-video gives no picture and no sound with the component cable on my newer TV

Not all TVs accept 240p over component.

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Looks like I may have lost my Omega power adapter in a move... Doh!

Anyone using a replacement or should I just try to buy a new one off Shadow?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Looks like I may have lost my Omega power adapter in a move... Doh!

Anyone using a replacement or should I just try to buy a new one off Shadow?

Isn't it a standard 3 prong plug or did it change in the newer versions?

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Oh awesome! For some reason I remembered it being a weird hybrid of standard 3 prong with a transformer box (like a Xbox 360).

I have a ton of those laying around. :)

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
Does anyone here have both the component and rgb scart cables? For some reason when I use scart the picture quality seems pretty significantly downgraded, and is much darker compared with component out. Not sure if this is normal, or a problem with the cable or rgb encoder. Component looks beautiful while the rgb is dull and washed out. I figured it should be the opposite right?

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Does anyone here have both the component and rgb scart cables? For some reason when I use scart the picture quality seems pretty significantly downgraded, and is much darker compared with component out. Not sure if this is normal, or a problem with the cable or rgb encoder. Component looks beautiful while the rgb is dull and washed out. I figured it should be the opposite right?

It is usually too bright with scart RGB due to the lack of 75ohm resistor installed along the RGB + Sync lines. Not sure what causes it to be darker.
If the RGB passes thru the encoder I believe you can fine tune the signal by adjusting the three (3) pots.

madman

I've got both cables, never noticed a difference. You are changing the switch on the back to match which cable you're using, correct?

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
It is usually too bright with scart RGB due to the lack of 75ohm resistor installed along the RGB + Sync lines. Not sure what causes it to be darker.
If the RGB passes thru the encoder I believe you can fine tune the signal by adjusting the three (3) pots.

Interesting, I might have to look into adjusting the pots then, not sure how to do that just yet.
I've got both cables, never noticed a difference. You are changing the switch on the back to match which cable you're using, correct?

Yeah, i switch it to "rgb" when i use the scart cable, but the picture quality seems like a big downgrade from component/ypbpr. i thought rgb should be much better so i was pretty surprised.

madman

Yeah, i switch it to "rgb" when i use the scart cable, but the picture quality seems like a big downgrade from component/ypbpr. i thought rgb should be much better so i was pretty surprised.
Any differences on the input settings you're using on your TV/monitor/whatever for component vs rgb? I've run component straight into my TV and RGB through my xrgb-mini, no differences that I can discern.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Interesting, I might have to look into adjusting the pots then, not sure how to do that just yet.

What exactly are you viewing RGB on?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

Where did you get your scart cable?

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
I'm running the system into a Sony PVM 20L5, through a Bandridge 5 way scart switch. I have a few other systems (NES, SNES, Saturn, Genesis) running through the SCART switch and they look perfect. Component output on the Omega looks superb too, but when I switch to SCART and RGB output, it looks pretty bad. Darker, washed out IQ, less clarity. The other systems I have running on component look great too, and no change in the settings at all.

Oh and I got the scart cable direct from Arcade Works. As far as I know it's a proprietary cable and that's the only way to get one for the Omega right?

Last edited:

p3lagic

n00b
The sound (both music and effects) starts cutting out around the end of the first stage on any game. For example on Blazing Star the sound cuts at the beginning of the first stage boss, while on NEO XYX the sound cuts out after completing the first stage boss. It's really strange and happens like clockwork. Any ideas what the issue could be or tips to trouble shoot? I've already tried cleaning the slots with a soft cloth wrapped around a credit card with no luck.

madman

I'm running the system into a Sony PVM 20L5, through a Bandridge 5 way scart switch. I have a few other systems (NES, SNES, Saturn, Genesis) running through the SCART switch and they look perfect. Component output on the Omega looks superb too, but when I switch to SCART and RGB output, it looks pretty bad. Darker, washed out IQ, less clarity. The other systems I have running on component look great too, and no change in the settings at all.

Oh and I got the scart cable direct from Arcade Works. As far as I know it's a proprietary cable and that's the only way to get one for the Omega right?

All other video outputs are based off encoded RGB output so the video signal itself can't be bad otherwise component would look bad as well. Sounds like it's either your cable or something going on w the monitor or switch.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi guys, just a quick one. I was doing a hardware test today on my Omega to reset the backup RAM, I did this via the UniBIOS rather than hard DIPS. I got the below test fail message when I switched on the Omega, is this normal, the system runs fine but do need to be worried?

MVS TEST FAIL.JPG

Many thanks all.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's normal since the MV1C doesn't have a Z80 per se.