Offical Omega CMVS Tech Support Thread

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I've been having similar problems in both RGB and component mode using original cables shipped with the system. In RGB mode it tends to lose sync or one of the colors, and in component mode it loses red much like you describe. Sometimes re-connecting the cable would solve the problem, and other times a reboot seems to do the trick. I think in my case it may be a problem with the video board or the mini-DIN connector being loose.

I might pick up one of those replacement boards at some point but for now the video problems aren't too common on my end.

Same question as above. How long have you owned the system and the cables? I've made some adjustments to how the video board is put together over the years so a loose mini-din connector is not out of the impossible.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
New problem with my Omega, hopefully someone can chime in here:

I had my Omega hooked up to my ossc via component cable for about 2 years and everything was fine. But out of no where, it started loosing sync a few months ago. I messed around with some ossc settings but couldnt get it it sync again. Thinking maybe there is something wrong with the ossc, I switched the Omega to my Sony CRT via component and it played fine. The ossc has been fine, no problems with any other systems, just the Omega issue.

The Omega has been fine for the few months its been on the CRT. I went to play it last night and the colors looked all wrong...Everything kinda looked off and there was no red, it was kinda of a drab gold color instead of red. I tried 3 carts, all were having the same issue. Thinking maybe its a cable problem I moved the cable around, made sure everything is hooked up right and tight, etc. no change. Tried a different input on the TV, no change. I noticed when I unplug the Red video cable of the component cable, there is no change. Its like its not getting any red. Just in case, I tried my PS2 which is also on component thru the same tv input, and everything looks perfect.

So its definitely something with the Omega. Do you guys think its just the cable, or something more than that?

Someone just had this same issue with their AES with the OSSC, the fix was to delete the profile and make a new one.

kof1996

n00b
Hey, has anyone had trouble with the a/v port on the omega cmvs? I believe my port is loose because when try to play a game the video connection will cut out unless I hold the cable In place. Does anyone know a way to fix this? Thanks to anyone who can help.!

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Hey, has anyone had trouble with the a/v port on the omega cmvs? I believe my port is loose because when try to play a game the video connection will cut out unless I hold the cable In place. Does anyone know a way to fix this? Thanks to anyone who can help.!

What connection are you using?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member

You need to resolder the 3 large grounds on the jack. This issue was taken care of years ago but the early models can still experience this issue.

kof1996

n00b
You need to resolder the 3 large grounds on the jack. This issue was taken care of years ago but the early models can still experience this issue.

Thanks for the response! I think I bought mine in 2015-2016, would that be considered an early model?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Thanks for the response! I think I bought mine in 2015-2016, would that be considered an early model?

Possibly. If there is an orange pot on the video encoder instead of a brown or yellow one, it's more likely that it's an early one.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Possibly. If there is an orange pot on the video encoder instead of a brown or yellow one, it's more likely that it's an early one.

I got my Omega in 2013 and it has the orange pot. I got the new AV board in the mail today and installed it. I never thought my Omega looked bad on my PVM, but this new board does look brighter and more vibrant.

I think it’s a worthy upgrade especially if you need it to work with modern equipment or upscalers. When I first got the Omega I didn’t have a RGB setup yet, so it’s nice to know I’m getting the best picture from it. It’s my only Neo rig and has been awesome for these past 7 years. Adding things like the virtual memory card and upgrading the video encoder makes it even more awesome IMO.

Here’s pics of the old and new video boards:

8a2ba03d89fb57b43ac3139f61a28d87.jpg

dee0ee5634f543d5df2e02e77e59ca1f.jpg

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I got my Omega in 2013 and it has the orange pot. I got the new AV board in the mail today and installed it. I never thought my Omega looked bad on my PVM, but this new board does look brighter and more vibrant.

I think it’s a worthy upgrade especially if you need it to work with modern equipment or upscalers. When I first got the Omega I didn’t have a RGB setup yet, so it’s nice to know I’m getting the best picture from it. It’s my only Neo rig and has been awesome for these past 7 years. Adding things like the virtual memory card and upgrading the video encoder makes it even more awesome IMO.

Here’s pics of the old and new video boards:

Nice, I have ordered one myself. As you said I also never had a real issue with the RGB signal, yes it didn't have CSYNC but then again my modded SNES Jnr didn't either back in 2014 when I purchased my Omega. Now I just fancy getting the best I can out of my systems and am upgrading where possible, I do like how the mod board uses a more readily available GEN 2 cable. Do you notice any reduction in the loud audio buzz/hum from the system? I did reduce this somewhat with a shielded cable on the original board but it was always more audible than on regular games console like a SNES/MD/GEN. I guess this might be due to the internal PSU and lack of internal shielding?

In any case I still like my Omega and am glad I picked one up. Sadly mine has been in storage for a while as I've move around a bit in the past couple of years and never got it hooked back up but I might be able to retrieve it soon so I can test the new board out.

ChopstickSamurai

I got a shielded Packapunch cable from Retro Gaming Cables awhile back and that fixed my hum problems. I’ve been using a Retro-Access cable with this new board and haven’t noticed any hum at all. My first problems with hum was with the original Omega SCART cable that wasn’t shielded as good as these are.

mario64

n00b
Has anyone purchased an Omega lately? If so, any idea if the stated 4 week delivery time is accurate? Thank you

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Has anyone purchased an Omega lately? If so, any idea if the stated 4 week delivery time is accurate? Thank you

Probably. It always takes a few weeks. When I ordered mine it took like 5 or 6.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi guys,

Just a quick question, I have finally taken my Omega out of storage and fired it up for there first time in around 18-24 months, as expected the battery is dead and needs charging to save the back-up ram settings. The unit powered up fine and I have had a blast on slug x and left it on attract mode for a couple of hours. I wanted to know how long it should be left on to recharge the ML2032 batter that is installed, do you think I need to replace the battery with a new one as its around 6 years old and hasn't been used for the last 2ish. I've really missed having access to the Neo and look forward to getting back into over the next week or so. I couldn't quite find the exact info and even looked through the MV1C manual. Many thanks in advance.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hi guys,

Just a quick question, I have finally taken my Omega out of storage and fired it up for there first time in around 18-24 months, as expected the battery is dead and needs charging to save the back-up ram settings. The unit powered up fine and I have had a blast on slug x and left it on attract mode for a couple of hours. I wanted to know how long it should be left on to recharge the ML2032 batter that is installed, do you think I need to replace the battery with a new one as its around 6 years old and hasn't been used for the last 2ish. I've really missed having access to the Neo and look forward to getting back into over the next week or so. I couldn't quite find the exact info and even looked through the MV1C manual. Many thanks in advance.

Supposedly it trickles at like 10mA/hour so if the capacity is 50mAh then 5 hours for full charge.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Just wanted to give props to shadowkn55 after having the Universe BIOS updated to 4.0 on my Omega.

In the seven years I've owned it I've sent it back to him twice: once to install the NeoBiosMasta VMC, and more recently to update to the Universe BIOS v4.0.

He performed some stuff / fixes when I sent it back, when all I asked him to do was check the battery and give it a once over.

He also offered to swap the case out at no charge a while back when I had some issue with 3rd party carts (I kept my original case in the end, f' those crappy aftermarket cart shells!).

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Quan and I hope people keep supporting him and his products.

ChopstickSamurai

He also offered to swap the case out at no charge a while back when I had some issue with 3rd party carts (I kept my original case in the end, f' those crappy aftermarket cart shells!).

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Quan and I hope people keep supporting him and his products.

I used a metal file to gently widen the slot, so now those 3rd party shells fit fine. Still love my Omega too!

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Supposedly it trickles at like 10mA/hour so if the capacity is 50mAh then 5 hours for full charge.

Many thanks for the info, I'll leave the unit on for 5 hours or attempt to get some game time in if possible over the weekend and see how long it holds its charge. I noticed that after a couple of hour last night the soft dips and unibios setting retained after a power cycle so the charging circuit seems to still be working.

Update:

So I powered back on today and the settings were not saved. I took the battery out and it’s a CR2032 so not a rechargeable battery. Strange how after one power cycle the other night the settings saved once, I guess there was just enough juice to keep it that one time. It only had 0.75 volts left so I’ll install a new one and hopefully that’s that.

I assume the charging circuit was disabled as part of the consolisation process as they are not left on all the time like a cab. Typical how long should I expect a CR2032 to last in the Omega before another swap out? The current battery was around 6 years, which is fine.

I can’t believe I’ve had the system this long already. Thanks again for any advice

Last edited:

ruffian_es

n00b
Many thanks for the info, I'll leave the unit on for 5 hours or attempt to get some game time in if possible over the weekend and see how long it holds its charge. I noticed that after a couple of hour last night the soft dips and unibios setting retained after a power cycle so the charging circuit seems to still be working.

Update:

So I powered back on today and the settings were not saved. I took the battery out and it’s a CR2032 so not a rechargeable battery. Strange how after one power cycle the other night the settings saved once, I guess there was just enough juice to keep it that one time. It only had 0.75 volts left so I’ll install a new one and hopefully that’s that.

I assume the charging circuit was disabled as part of the consolisation process as they are not left on all the time like a cab. Typical how long should I expect a CR2032 to last in the Omega before another swap out? The current battery was around 6 years, which is fine.

I can’t believe I’ve had the system this long already. Thanks again for any advice

Happy new year everyone. I have the same issue with my two omegas. I have no idea how to change the batteries. Is there any risk if I don’t change then? Leaks? Any advice?

Thank you ����

DaisyAge

Galford's Armourer
Shouldn't be too hard, just open it up and pop out the old batteries and replace with new ones. Yeah after a while its possible for them to start leaking but probably wouldn't happen for a few years. Still it's easy enough to fix.

ruffian_es

n00b
Shouldn't be too hard, just open it up and pop out the old batteries and replace with new ones. Yeah after a while its possible for them to start leaking but probably wouldn't happen for a few years. Still it's easy enough to fix.

Cool, but I have to weld them, and I have no idea :lolz:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
My Omega started resetting itself again :(

It did this last year when it was stock, but now I am using the RetroRGB board and a Retro-Access cable and a RetroTink Scart 2X. It's been great until the other day (last time I played it in late november/early december I played for hours with no issue). Soemtimes it resets while still doing the SNK jingle.

Would the PSU be doing it?

Edit: New Power Supply didn't fix it. But while I was there, I realized the ribbon cable on the video board was loose. So I reseated it and now my Omega has been running for Hours so...that's that!

Someone who knows about the specific board used in the Omega want to just give details on how that works? lol

Last edited: