Offical Omega CMVS Tech Support Thread

jamon1567

n00b
Not the best quality but I saved the thumbnail from a while back (although original image was taken down).

View attachment 48594

I really need a new scart cable, the one I have that came with the system is really thin, I get a lot of audio noise/buzzing during gameplay and it gets even worse when hooked up to a switcher. I would like a fully shielded one like you can get for other consoles from the big cable makers like Retro Gaming Cables in the UK. I have some of his "packapunch" range and they are superb quality, the audio buzz on the SNES and Mega Drive is almost non existent even on the white Konami logo screen.

Edit: I sent a query to Retro Gaming Cable UK and they have plans to release a fully shielded RGB cable for the Omega in the near future, they currently do sell them for some Super Guns and even the old Analogue CMVS.

Excellent, thank you. And yes, I wanted a fully shielded cable for the Omega as well so I too contacted RGC, which at least nudged him towards releasing one ;)

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I'd definitely buy a better SCART cable for my Omega. The video quality is great but I get a noticeable hum I'd love to eliminate.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
That would be awesome if they released a cable for the Omega.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If he already makes a fully shielded Genny 2 SCART cable just order that without any resistors or caps on the RGB lines. Same thing.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yeah I guess you could buy the Gen/MD 2 shielded cable and de-solder the caps and resistors from the pcb in the scart head but what about the sync line, just disconnect? I have found I need a sync stripper in mine to work properly with the Framemeister which is how I use the system currently, anyone else find this ? Hopefully they will sell a cable with one included as an option since the standard MD cable is wired for C-Sync.

jamon1567

n00b
Yeah I guess you could buy the Gen/MD 2 shielded cable and de-solder the caps and resistors from the pcb in the scart head but what about the sync line, just disconnect? I have found I need a sync stripper in mine to work properly with the Framemeister which is how I use the system currently, anyone else find this ? Hopefully they will sell a cable with one included as an option since the standard MD cable is wired for C-Sync.

As far as I know he'll be releasing his cable to output csync, so it will include a sync stripper. That is what I requested and talked about with him anyway. Perhaps he'll have a version with composite sync (which is what I believe the original cables it came with used) too for those that may want it.

Last edited:

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Retrogaming Cables UK have just released their "packapunch" fully shielded Omega CMVS SCART cable!
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/Omega-CMVS-RGB-SCART-Cable?search=OMega
I have ordered one and will post some feedback once it arrives, I really hope it solves all the of audio buzz I was getting with the supplied thin cable. I have these cables for my other consoles and they are really high quality and do eliminate all that noise you got on cheaper cables.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Retrogaming Cables UK have just released their "packapunch" fully shielded Omega CMVS SCART cable!
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/Omega-CMVS-RGB-SCART-Cable?search=OMega
I have ordered one and will post some feedback once it arrives, I really hope it solves all the of audio buzz I was getting with the supplied thin cable. I have these cables for my other consoles and they are really high quality and do eliminate all that noise you got on cheaper cables.

According to the site, the cable is constructed with sync on luma instead of the usual composite video. I haven't independently tested if using this signal as a sync source will yield a good result so your mileage may very.

ChopstickSamurai

I just got myself a PC Engine Packapunch cable and it greatly reduced the buzz I was getting from that console. Very interested to see how their Omega cable works.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I just wanted to update things regarding the Retro Gaming Cables UK "Packapunch" fully shielded RGB cable I ordered. It arrived today and I am very pleased to say that it works beautifully and has vastly reduced the background audio buzz/hum I was getting before. I have tested it directly with my XRGB Framemeister and also via a Bandridge scart switcher and background buzz is almost gone. This was a big problem before, especially when using the scart switch as the noise was even worse to the point were I couldn't use the Omega with it. The only thing I had to do differently with this cable was manually set the sync level to 24 on the Framemeister rather than leave it on auto.

Basically this solves one on the biggest issues I had with my Omega and I am glad it was the cable and not due to some other internal issue, I love the system and recommend anyone keen to reduce the noise on their system to pick this cable up. Obviously I am aware that Quan sells his own RGB cable alongside the system and I have two of these, the picture quality is excellent but sadly the lack of shielding does cause some unwanted audio buzzing.

Edit: It is worth noting that my Arcade Works RGB cables are from 2014/15, so are probably an earlier version. I will open then up and double check with shadowkn55.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Good to hear that it works. I know that scart cables I was selling in the early years weren't shielded. I moved onto a heavier gauge wire stock that has shielding and a drain wire that dramatically improved operation. I did offer an exchange program for a short while when I made the switch over. If you shoot me a picture of the cable you had before, I can tell you if it's the older cable or not.

ChopstickSamurai

I must've missed out on the cable exchange too, I'll shoot you a pic of my cable when I get the chance.

I ordered a Packapunch cable and it arrived today. I can also verify that it works very well and eliminates most of the audio hum I was getting. I honestly didn't notice the audio noise until I started using a receiver for my game consoles. Everything sounded good except the Omega and PC Engine. Once I upgraded to these cables however it made a huge difference.

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
I just received this in today guys from a seller on ebay.
I am back in the neo game and read good things about this and it was a great deal.
But this is whats happening, i am running it into a framemeister with the arcadeworkds rgb cable.
It shows this screen no matter if cart is in it or not.. any suggestions?

stevan5150

Mr. Big's Thug
so i opened it up and noticed that the board that is attached to the MV1 board that has the unibios was loose and came unglued so i pressed slightly and got it back seated. Can i just hot glue it back down?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
so i opened it up and noticed that the board that is attached to the MV1 board that has the unibios was loose and came unglued so i pressed slightly and got it back seated. Can i just hot glue it back down?

Yes.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It doesn't need to be glued at all. It should stay snapped in place on its own. I'm guessing shadowkn55 just glues it for shipping.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
It doesn't need to be glued at all. It should stay snapped in place on its own. I'm guessing shadowkn55 just glues it for shipping.

Correct. Especially since I migrated to the solderless module but given the rough handling treatment it can get during transit, it's better to not have anything rattling during an unboxing.

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
Many thanks for letting me know RAZ_HOE!, I will install the new PSU when it arrives and do a comparison. I never had any issues for the first 18 months of ownership, I thouroughly cleaned the contacts of games I picked up with IPA before using them (although I have since learned about how much better not to mention expensive Deoxit D5 is) but gradually things got worse starting with my multi-cart and then with genuine games. Hopefully the new PSU will have a tiny but more oomph to keep the system stable.

Did replacing the PSU fix your issue? I've been having this same problem with my Omega for a few months now.

MOLTOMOLTO

n00b
Can you elaborate on the issues you are having?

Pretty much the exact same issues Larrs is describing in this post...random resets during gameplay. I've seen a few mentions of this issue online but can't figure out what's causing it.

Hi all,

I'm after some help and advice please. I have had my Omega since September 2014 and its been pretty solid but over the last few months I am getting random resets. Basically I will insert a cart and then at random the system will reboot, this could be instantly, after several minutes or longer. Over the weekend I had two sessions, during the first one I played Samurai Showdown 2 for an hour followed by Windjammers for 20 mins and then when playing Shock Troopers the system reboot itself after around 10 minutes.

I cleaned the contacts on all my carts when I picked them up and never really had any issues. Today I cleaned the cart slot on the motherboard using rubbing alcohol and fine dental brushes, cleaning each pin individual before finishing it off with a gentle brush with a regular toothbrush. I then had Shock troopers on for 2 hours without problems and completed the game twice. I then put KoF 98 on, this has always been rock solid but the game reboots at random, initially when I inserted the cart it reset and then it did it after 30 mins and then after about 10.

I thought a bad connection between the slot and cart would produce graphical and sound glitches rather than reboots, could it be a power issue, how would I check the 5v line on the Omega please? I'm not super knowledgable with electronics so some pointers of things to test would be useful. I have cleared the backup RAM and it made no difference.

Edit: I have picked up a multimeter and will test the voltage this weekend. Just to confirm Jamma edge Pin 2 is GND and 4 is for the voltage? I'm assuming I can test with the Jamma adapter inside the Omega attached. I have bought some Deoxit D5 (£25 ouch!) and will give the cart slot and my games another clean.

Many thanks for your help guys.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Pretty much the exact same issues Larrs is describing in this post...random resets during gameplay. I've seen a few mentions of this issue online but can't figure out what's causing it.

What kind of cartridges are you using with it?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
PSU is the most common cause of random resets. If you have a multimeter, check the voltage coming off the barrel of the AC adapter.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
PSU is the most common cause of random resets. If you have a multimeter, check the voltage coming off the barrel of the AC adapter.

It doesn't use an AC adapter. I use an open frame internal switching power supply.