Offical Omega CMVS Tech Support Thread

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just wanted to bring closure to the video issue I had with the Omega. I now have Xian Xi's JNX made CMVS in hand, and I'm happy to be able to report that it does not have the picture wobble that I had with the Omega on my crt's. It also does not have the up/down rapid image jitter that I had on my LCD, and finally it doesn't appear to have the diagonal lines of noise that flowed through the picture like I had on the Omega. I'm really incredibly impressed with the build and form factor of his system as well (uses gold platted connectors, a very sturdy power button conveniently located on the front and more). My advice for anyone who wants a CMVS to play on a consumer crt, is to save yourself some headaches and go straight to Xian Xi.

The experience of buying from him was also a real pleasure, with frequent updates on the status of the making of the system, as well as fantastic communications in general (he actually provides real answers to questions and not vague general replies that could come out of a prewritten handbook). A real piece of art designed with love and care, I couldn't recommend it more.

This isn't a fair review dude. Alot of us here own Omega' s and have none of the issues you described. I have a Omega and Custom CMVS modded by Xian Xi and both work great.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
This isn't a fair review dude. Alot of us here own Omega' s and have none of the issues you described. I have a Omega and Custom CMVS modded by Xian Xi and both work great.
It all depends what tv's you use it on. Of course many people have no issues, maybe some have some of the issues but aren't bothered or don't care. My experience was that I couldn't find a single crt of mine that didn't have these problems. I have 4 crt tv's two being the same model, so 3 different models of Sony Trinitron consumer sets. I would have assumed my unit was faulty somewhere but then Day_Man reported having the same issue on his tv (the same as one of my tv's in a different size). I put up a video of what the behavior was like somewhere in this thread in case you missed it and want to see.

Quan's own personal unit had this issue on these tv's too. He just doesn't get enough complaints to fix it, therefor for people who care to find a solution I just wanted to let them know, that yes there are alternatives that work fine. Such as the JNX CMVS.

Also in general the picture quality on the Omega on these same tv's even putting aside the dancing video issue was really not solid. Had a barrage of interference lines particularly on composite and s-video (and to a dramatically lesser extent on component), and on lcd's the image would jitter slightly. Since I didn't open it I don't know what the inside of the Omega was like but clearly it could be improved. From my understand either the encoder used, the circuitry or maybe because the Omega doesn't adapt the frequency to proper NTSC standards. What ever it is it's a problem that exists on all Omega units apparently. :/

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It all depends what tv's you use it on. Of course many people have no issues, maybe some have some of the issues but aren't bothered or don't care. My experience was that I couldn't find a single crt of mine that didn't have these problems. I have 4 crt tv's two being the same model, so 3 different models of Sony Trinitron consumer sets. I would have assumed my unit was faulty somewhere but then Day_Man reported having the same issue on his tv (the same as one of my tv's in a different size). I put up a video of what the behavior was like somewhere in this thread in case you missed it and want to see.

Quan's own personal unit had this issue on these tv's too. He just doesn't get enough complaints to fix it, therefor for people who care to find a solution I just wanted to let them know, that yes there are alternatives that work fine. Such as the JNX CMVS.

Also in general the picture quality on the Omega on these same tv's even putting aside the dancing video issue was really not solid. Had a barrage of interference lines particularly on composite and s-video (and to a dramatically lesser extent on component), and on lcd's the image would jitter slightly. Since I didn't open it I don't know what the inside of the Omega was like but clearly it could be improved. From my understand either the encoder used, the circuitry or maybe because the Omega doesn't adapt the frequency to proper NTSC standards. What ever it is it's a problem that exists on all Omega units apparently. :/

I haven't tried my Omega on a Trinitron yet since I only play via Rgb now but every RGB monitor I have used my Omega with has worked fine. Don't have component cables to test on my Samsung Plasma but I would most likely avoid Plasma or Lcd because of lag. I did not know about this. If I ever get component cables one day, I'll give it a shot. I could probably just use my scart to component converter and see what happens.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
CMVS may have issues beyond the builder's control. They use old hardware which can and will malfunction and are frequently used with old displays which may not be optimal. I have personally experience problems with an Omega that I owned but did not buy from Quan. The RGB was too bright and the picture would bounce on whiteouts on my 20L5. Even though he was under no obligation to do so, Quan sent me a replacement cable for free which helped but didn't entirely resolve it on my 20L5 but it worked OK with other monitors and component video was fine as well. The audio had some buzzing as well but not an unreasonable amount. IMO, these problems were due to design flaws in the Omega, not hardware failure. For one thing, it should have separate video and audio outs rather than a multi-out, or at least better signal isolation.

I have owned or used 4 different Xian Xi CMVS and 1 supergun , all of which had excellent picture and sound. Zero issues whatsoever in any of them, even to a picky person like me. James' machines also have outstanding build quality. Open one up and it looks like it was almost built by a machine, not a human. I have never seen better soldering work, design and attention to detail, period.

The 1 Analogue unit I looked at for a friend didn't work at all and was a fucking mess inside. I'm talking one step above Drakon shitshow.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
CMVS may have issues beyond the builder's control. They use old hardware which can and will malfunction and are frequently used with old displays which may not be optimal. I have personally experience problems with an Omega that I owned but did not buy from Quan. The RGB was too bright and the picture would bounce on whiteouts on my 20L5. Even though he was under no obligation to do so, Quan sent me a replacement cable for free which helped but didn't entirely resolve it on my 20L5 but it worked OK with other monitors and component video was fine as well. The audio had some buzzing as well but not an unreasonable amount. IMO, these problems were due to design flaws in the Omega, not hardware failure. For one thing, it should have separate video and audio outs rather than a multi-out, or at least better signal isolation.

I have owned or used 4 different Xian Xi CMVS and 1 supergun , all of which had excellent picture and sound. Zero issues whatsoever in any of them, even to a picky person like me. James' machines also have outstanding build quality. Open one up and it looks like it was almost built by a machine, not a human. I have never seen better soldering work, design and attention to detail, period.

The 1 Analogue unit I looked at for a friend didn't work at all and was a fucking mess inside. I'm talking one step above Drakon shitshow.

Yea, NO doubt James does great work. Had him mod a 2 slot , Aes system, and repair another Aes system and all are still working fine with zero issues.

I did notice a slight buzzing with my Omega. When no music or fx is present, you could hear the slight hum but not enough there to go crazy about. Other then that I've had no issues but I have only used it with rgb scart.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

With experience in your corner for building CMVS units as well as a passion for building them, it helps a lot.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Just an update on my issues. I have ordered a replacement PSU from Taiwan and it should arrive in a couple of weeks (model Meanwell PD-25A in case anyone needs to know). Since I have cleaned the slot and my carts with Deoxit D5 I have only had the one reset during many hours of testing and gameplay. This was with Metal Slug 3 after 40 mins, I have since tested it for 2 hours and then completed a play through last night with no issues. Perhaps it's not the PSU and just dirty contacts in the end, I would like to know however what voltage I should really be getting on the Jamma edge under load, is 4.89-4.91v more than enough?

Thanks

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
A little bit over 5 or a little bit under should be fine. You should be ok but I would try to get it to as close to 5 as possible just to be safe.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
A little bit over 5 or a little bit under should be fine. You should be ok but I would try to get it to as close to 5 as possible just to be safe.

Many thanks for letting me know RAZ_HOE!, I will install the new PSU when it arrives and do a comparison. I never had any issues for the first 18 months of ownership, I thouroughly cleaned the contacts of games I picked up with IPA before using them (although I have since learned about how much better not to mention expensive Deoxit D5 is) but gradually things got worse starting with my multi-cart and then with genuine games. Hopefully the new PSU will have a tiny but more oomph to keep the system stable.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Many thanks for letting me know RAZ_HOE!, I will install the new PSU when it arrives and do a comparison. I never had any issues for the first 18 months of ownership, I thouroughly cleaned the contacts of games I picked up with IPA before using them (although I have since learned about how much better not to mention expensive Deoxit D5 is) but gradually things got worse starting with my multi-cart and then with genuine games. Hopefully the new PSU will have a tiny but more oomph to keep the system stable.

Yes, I use deoxit on every game cart before it go's into the system. It's good stuff.

Hi all,

I am posting since I am experiencing for the first time an issue with my Omega system. I did not use it for a couple months, and I put a game in, i see a couple of graphic glitches, so i clean the connector gently. This does not fix the issue. And then, I understand, that if a controller is plugged either in port 1 or 2, then the glitches come in. If I unplug it, music/video runs perfectly fine, as soon as a controller is plugged in, glitches/lag/deformations appear, which make any game unplayable.

I have tried of course different controllers, different games, but the problem remains. Hence, I am concerned :-/ Did anyone experience a similar problem, and if yes, what possible solutions can be used to fix it?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from France! (as my nickname does not say, used to live in Ontario)

Up, i contacted arcade works and still no reply... anyone would have some insight into what is going on?

Thanks a ton in advance guys...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just an update on my issues. I have ordered a replacement PSU from Taiwan and it should arrive in a couple of weeks (model Meanwell PD-25A in case anyone needs to know). Since I have cleaned the slot and my carts with Deoxit D5 I have only had the one reset during many hours of testing and gameplay. This was with Metal Slug 3 after 40 mins, I have since tested it for 2 hours and then completed a play through last night with no issues. Perhaps it's not the PSU and just dirty contacts in the end, I would like to know however what voltage I should really be getting on the Jamma edge under load, is 4.89-4.91v more than enough?

Thanks

Anything above 4.75v is fine. I think it's more a problem with the board. The way the system was designed, it might be better to just swap out the MV1C for another one.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Has anyone recently ordered, received, or have contact with ArcadeWorks recently? Made an order over 6 weeks ago and sent an email (first one the entire time) and have not received a reply.

Rufus Almasy

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Has anyone recently ordered, received, or have contact with ArcadeWorks recently? Made an order over 6 weeks ago and sent an email (first one the entire time) and have not received a reply.

Talk to them on facebook, they always reply within a few hours to 24 hours. They are fast and responsive. Be patient, my order took more than 2 months to get here.

My Omega CMVS also randomly resets. I figure it was the carts, but I guess base on what others have said, there is a problem with the PSU or the motherboard?

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
2 months for something he says is assembled in 30 minutes? WTF?@!

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Talk to them on facebook, they always reply within a few hours to 24 hours. They are fast and responsive. Be patient, my order took more than 2 months to get here.

My Omega CMVS also randomly resets. I figure it was the carts, but I guess base on what others have said, there is a problem with the PSU or the motherboard?

I wish I had done this earlier. Quan was super responsive through FB. Alas, I'm moving forward with JNX so all is good.

I wish I had done this earlier. Quan was super responsive through FB. Alas, I'm moving forward with JNX so all is good.

I'm still waiting for mine too. I think I ordered around the same time as basic, based on our initial posts.

I'll try the FB approach.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
The reason he runs long is because he's bogged down with tons of orders. he's making everything as they are ordered.

jamon1567

n00b
Wondering if anyone has the scart diagram that was posted in here some time ago. The links have expired and I can't seem to find it anywhere else. Thanks in advance!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Wondering if anyone has the scart diagram that was posted in here some time ago. The links have expired and I can't seem to find it anywhere else. Thanks in advance!

iirc it's the same as the Genny 2 minus any components on the lines (caps,resistors,etc)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Do you mean he didn't use offishul Genesis 2 cable specs handed down by Segata Sanshiro himself?!?

DDmG_f-maxage-0.gif

I hope RetroRGB doesn't find out about this or there will be HELL TO PAY!

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Not the best quality but I saved the thumbnail from a while back (although original image was taken down).

Omega CMVS SCART.png

I really need a new scart cable, the one I have that came with the system is really thin, I get a lot of audio noise/buzzing during gameplay and it gets even worse when hooked up to a switcher. I would like a fully shielded one like you can get for other consoles from the big cable makers like Retro Gaming Cables in the UK. I have some of his "packapunch" range and they are superb quality, the audio buzz on the SNES and Mega Drive is almost non existent even on the white Konami logo screen.

Edit: I sent a query to Retro Gaming Cable UK and they have plans to release a fully shielded RGB cable for the Omega in the near future, they currently do sell them for some Super Guns and even the old Analogue CMVS.

Last edited: