Offical Omega CMVS Tech Support Thread

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Are these still being produced and sold? Checking on the web site it does say something about Midwest Gaming Classic...but just wanted to make sure nonetheless.

Yep, I know last year he had brought a few with him to MGC. So if you go, you can probably snag one on site.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yep, I know last year he had brought a few with him to MGC. So if you go, you can probably snag one on site.

Probably the fastest way to get one if you can go, otherwise it can take anywhere from 3-6 weeks.

Hi all,

I am posting since I am experiencing for the first time an issue with my Omega system. I did not use it for a couple months, and I put a game in, i see a couple of graphic glitches, so i clean the connector gently. This does not fix the issue. And then, I understand, that if a controller is plugged either in port 1 or 2, then the glitches come in. If I unplug it, music/video runs perfectly fine, as soon as a controller is plugged in, glitches/lag/deformations appear, which make any game unplayable.

I have tried of course different controllers, different games, but the problem remains. Hence, I am concerned :-/ Did anyone experience a similar problem, and if yes, what possible solutions can be used to fix it?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from France! (as my nickname does not say, used to live in Ontario)

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Try clearing the backup ram. Turn on the system with no cartridge inserted, and press start until you get to a screen prompting you to press A, B, C, and D to clear the backup ram.

Try clearing the backup ram. Turn on the system with no cartridge inserted, and press start until you get to a screen prompting you to press A, B, C, and D to clear the backup ram.

Thanks for the suggestion, dis not work at all unfortunately...:-( open to suggestions...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Up, any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance...

I'd recommend you contact arcade works directly, that's not a normal issue. I've seen a lot of problems but never heard of that before. I'm pretty sure he will just swap the mobo on this one.

100Daily

n00b
Just as a follow up to Dooms issue, I have the exact model Sony KV-24FS100. I just hooked up my component cables from the Omega. And...

It looks great! I have several component video modded systems hooked up to my KV-24FS100, and this Omega looks the best of all of them. My only complaint is the screen is slightly off center. I think doom might have a faulty cable or Omega?

Last edited:

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Hi all,

I'm after some help and advice please. I have had my Omega since September 2014 and its been pretty solid but over the last few months I am getting random resets. Basically I will insert a cart and then at random the system will reboot, this could be instantly, after several minutes or longer. Over the weekend I had two sessions, during the first one I played Samurai Showdown 2 for an hour followed by Windjammers for 20 mins and then when playing Shock Troopers the system reboot itself after around 10 minutes.

I cleaned the contacts on all my carts when I picked them up and never really had any issues. Today I cleaned the cart slot on the motherboard using rubbing alcohol and fine dental brushes, cleaning each pin individual before finishing it off with a gentle brush with a regular toothbrush. I then had Shock troopers on for 2 hours without problems and completed the game twice. I then put KoF 98 on, this has always been rock solid but the game reboots at random, initially when I inserted the cart it reset and then it did it after 30 mins and then after about 10.

I thought a bad connection between the slot and cart would produce graphical and sound glitches rather than reboots, could it be a power issue, how would I check the 5v line on the Omega please? I'm not super knowledgable with electronics so some pointers of things to test would be useful. I have cleared the backup RAM and it made no difference.

Edit: I have picked up a multimeter and will test the voltage this weekend. Just to confirm Jamma edge Pin 2 is GND and 4 is for the voltage? I'm assuming I can test with the Jamma adapter inside the Omega attached. I have bought some Deoxit D5 (£25 ouch!) and will give the cart slot and my games another clean.

Many thanks for your help guys.

Last edited:

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Probably the fastest way to get one if you can go, otherwise it can take anywhere from 3-6 weeks.

Went ahead and purchased one online since I won't be going to MWC. Thanks though. Based on other threads it seems like he's hounded on turn around time...I'm going to not try to hassle the guy lol.

Went ahead and purchased one online since I won't be going to MWC. Thanks though. Based on other threads it seems like he's hounded on turn around time...I'm going to not try to hassle the guy lol.

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago when I noticed that new stock was available for order.
It'll be my first Neo-Geo system and I'm super hyped. I've already got a copy of Puzzle Bobble, and a controller on it's way from Japan. I'm now practicing zen-like patience.
This is my first post on the forum, and just wanted to say Hi on the Omega thread.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Welcome to the forum! When I bought my Omega a few years ago it was my first time at Neo ownership besides the Pocket. It's a great system and well worth the wait. I know some folks have been having issues lately, but I have nothing but love for my Omega.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Just as a follow up to Dooms issue, I have the exact model Sony KV-24FS100. I just hooked up my component cables from the Omega. And...

It looks great! I have several component video modded systems hooked up to my KV-24FS100, and this Omega looks the best of all of them. My only complaint is the screen is slightly off center. I think doom might have a faulty cable or Omega?

No actually it wasn't a faulty cable, or a problem unique to that specific Omega. Quan's personal system also had the dancing behavior occur on Day_Man's tv. In fact he tested his system, mine, and Day_Man's all on on that tv (so 3 different Omega's). Day_Man's tv is one of the Trinitron models I have (IIRC his was the KV-24FV300). I had the problem on every Sony CRT I tried it on, and this happened with all connections and cables. A friend of mine has a CMVS bought in Europe that doesn't have this problem on these sets, so it's something that could be fixed. Quan just didn't have the time, that or solving it was not worth the investment. Anyway lucky you for not having the problem! Is your FS100 a US model tv?

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have managed to get a multimeter and open my Omega to check the voltages. This is what I'm getting on the JAMMA Edge.

Regular cart (Kof '98 as my test cart, this was resetting a lot recently) - 4.90 - 4.91 volts.
Regular cart with Brook Ps4/3 Neo Super Converter and HORI RAP 4 KAI - 4.89 - 4.90 volts
Super 120 in 1 Multi-cart with Brook Converter - 4.88 - 4.89 volts.

So basically a genuine cart and Neo Geo CD pad as the controller and I get 4.90 volts, is this enough for the board, will the drop below 4.9 to 4.89/8 cause the machine to reset due to lack of power? If this is the case is the integrated PSU starting to fail and do Arcade Works sell replacements? I was thinking about getting a NeoSD in the future but hear it draws more power, will this be an issue?

I am still waiting on my Deoxit D5 to arrive so I can give the slot and my games a proper clean to retest. On a separate note, now the Omega is open I might upgrade the unibios to 3.3, any tips to remove the existing unibios without disturbing the NeoBiosMasta?

One tip for those looking to open theirs, use a hair dryer on the rubber feet to soften the glue and they came off really easily. Heat them up again before you put them back on and they are good as new.

Many thanks

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I have managed to get a multimeter and open my Omega to check the voltages. This is what I'm getting on the JAMMA Edge.

Regular cart (Kof '98 as my test cart, this was resetting a lot recently) - 4.90 - 4.91 volts.
Regular cart with Brook Ps4/3 Neo Super Converter and HORI RAP 4 KAI - 4.89 - 4.90 volts
Super 120 in 1 Multi-cart with Brook Converter - 4.88 - 4.89 volts.

So basically a genuine cart and Neo Geo CD pad as the controller and I get 4.90 volts, is this enough for the board, will the drop below 4.9 to 4.89/8 cause the machine to reset due to lack of power? If this is the case is the integrated PSU starting to fail and do Arcade Works sell replacements? I was thinking about getting a NeoSD in the future but hear it draws more power, will this be an issue?

I am still waiting on my Deoxit D5 to arrive so I can give the slot and my games a proper clean to retest. On a separate note, now the Omega is open I might upgrade the unibios to 3.3, any tips to remove the existing unibios without disturbing the NeoBiosMasta?

One tip for those looking to open theirs, use a hair dryer on the rubber feet to soften the glue and they came off really easily. Heat them up again before you put them back on and they are good as new.

Many thanks

In general, I'd say thats kinda low for reading at the JAMMA edge. I'd email ArcadeWorks, and see if they will sell you a new PSU.

EDIT: Also, the PSU might be adjustable. Do you see any pots on it?

Last edited:

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
In general, I'd say thats kinda low for reading at the JAMMA edge. I'd email ArcadeWorks, and see if they will sell you a new PSU.

Thanks for the comments Niko it is much appreciated, I shall contact Quan at Arcade Works and see what he says.

I was doing some research on the web from what I read you need as close to 5 volts and you can get but not exceeding 5.1 volts. I don't use my Omega very frequently, I enjoy it very much but am generally quite busy these days, I noticed the resets probably 12-18 months ago with the multicart and came to the conclusion that since they are not made very well the cart must have been on its way out. Then gradually I noticed some of my genuine games would reset, KOF 2002, SAM2, Shock Troopers and Magical Drop 3. This was quite rare and I assumed dirty contacts so I would use some air and IPA to clean them quickly and thought nothing of it until the weekend when I was getting reboots all the time. Hardware Test seems ok and I don't get graphical or sound glitches on any of my games.

Do we know if the PSU inside the Omega is a custom design or are replacements readily available, it looks easy enough to replace but I am worried if there are issues further down the road sourcing a replacement PSU could be problematic.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Thanks for the comments Niko it is much appreciated, I shall contact Quan at Arcade Works and see what he says.

I was doing some research on the web from what I read you need as close to 5 volts and you can get but not exceeding 5.1 volts. I don't use my Omega very frequently, I enjoy it very much but am generally quite busy these days, I noticed the resets probably 12-18 months ago with the multicart and came to the conclusion that since they are not made very well the cart must have been on its way out. Then gradually I noticed some of my genuine games would reset, KOF 2002, SAM2, Shock Troopers and Magical Drop 3. This was quite rare and I assumed dirty contacts so I would use some air and IPA to clean them quickly and thought nothing of it until the weekend when I was getting reboots all the time. Hardware Test seems ok and I don't get graphical or sound glitches on any of my games.

Do we know if the PSU inside the Omega is a custom design or are replacements readily available, it looks easy enough to replace but I am worried if there are issues further down the road sourcing a replacement PSU could be problematic.

I dont think its a custom design, so you might be able to find a suitable replacement with the same dimensions from somewhere like digikey.

Did you notice any pots on the PSU? the voltage might be slightly adjustable.

Larrs888

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I dont think its a custom design, so you might be able to find a suitable replacement with the same dimensions from somewhere like digikey.

Did you notice any pots on the PSU? the voltage might be slightly adjustable.

I have had a look and sadly I don't see anything for voltage adjustment on the PSU board or PCB that connects to the JAMMA edge. Here the PSU that is inside the Omega - Mean Well seems to be the brand. Do you know what might cause it to lose the voltage after only two and a half years?

Omega PSU.JPG

Last edited:

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Hey guys. Just wanted to pop in since I just picked up my Omega at MGC Sunday. Still waiting for a control stick to come in the mail, but I did have a good time loading up my 10 carts and watching the intros like an idiot.

I did however get a chance to make some adjustments to my XRGB Mini (figured out the V_WIDTH 33 thing using trusty search function). I did however come across some weirdness when I decided to hook up SVIDEO just for kicks even though I'm going to be using SCART. What I noticed was that no matter what I did, I couldn't get the image to go to the appropriate full 4:3. Instead, I got a video image that was about 50% of the size.

To be totally honest, it's probably just some XRGB setting that I haven't figured out yet and I really don't care very much since I'll be using SCART. However, what I do kinda care about is the fact that the colors seemed much more vibrant via SVIDEO than SCART. I really didn't even see a problem when I had it hooked up with SCART, but once I saw the color with SVIDEO, I was like, "Whoa, the color actually seems nicer."

I've read earlier posts where people were discussing the RGB output looking, "too dark," which doesn't seem to be the case for me, it's just seems a bit washed out when compared to the SVIDEO.

Then again, maybe I'm just going crazy and my brain isn't letting me just be happy for finally owning a Neo.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Hey guys. Just wanted to pop in since I just picked up my Omega at MGC Sunday. Still waiting for a control stick to come in the mail, but I did have a good time loading up my 10 carts and watching the intros like an idiot.

I did however get a chance to make some adjustments to my XRGB Mini (figured out the V_WIDTH 33 thing using trusty search function). I did however come across some weirdness when I decided to hook up SVIDEO just for kicks even though I'm going to be using SCART. What I noticed was that no matter what I did, I couldn't get the image to go to the appropriate full 4:3. Instead, I got a video image that was about 50% of the size.

To be totally honest, it's probably just some XRGB setting that I haven't figured out yet and I really don't care very much since I'll be using SCART. However, what I do kinda care about is the fact that the colors seemed much more vibrant via SVIDEO than SCART. I really didn't even see a problem when I had it hooked up with SCART, but once I saw the color with SVIDEO, I was like, "Whoa, the color actually seems nicer."

I've read earlier posts where people were discussing the RGB output looking, "too dark," which doesn't seem to be the case for me, it's just seems a bit washed out when compared to the SVIDEO.

Then again, maybe I'm just going crazy and my brain isn't letting me just be happy for finally owning a Neo.

There's a zoom function on the Framemeister, try that.

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy

The colors look washed out because of the black levels (I had the same issue). In addition to changing your V_WIDTH, you'll want to go into your settings and change your black levels. If your playing on a wide screen TV, wait until the Neo Geo logo appears and change your black color until it matches the darkness of your letterbox area (The black bars on the left and right of your TV added to maintain aspect ratio). Once you do this, your picture should look almost "emulator" like in quality. It's very nice indeed.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
The colors look washed out because of the black levels (I had the same issue). In addition to changing your V_WIDTH, you'll want to go into your settings and change your black levels. If your playing on a wide screen TV, wait until the Neo Geo logo appears and change your black color until it matches the darkness of your letterbox area (The black bars on the left and right of your TV added to maintain aspect ratio). Once you do this, your picture should look almost "emulator" like in quality. It's very nice indeed.

Thanks a ton man, I'll give that a shot when I get home tonight.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
Just wanted to bring closure to the video issue I had with the Omega. I now have Xian Xi's JNX made CMVS in hand, and I'm happy to be able to report that it does not have the picture wobble that I had with the Omega on my crt's. It also does not have the up/down rapid image jitter that I had on my LCD, and finally it doesn't appear to have the diagonal lines of noise that flowed through the picture like I had on the Omega. I'm really incredibly impressed with the build and form factor of his system as well (uses gold platted connectors, a very sturdy power button conveniently located on the front and more). My advice for anyone who wants a CMVS to play on a consumer crt, is to save yourself some headaches and go straight to Xian Xi.

The experience of buying from him was also a real pleasure, with frequent updates on the status of the making of the system, as well as fantastic communications in general (he actually provides real answers to questions and not vague general replies that could come out of a prewritten handbook). A real piece of art designed with love and care, I couldn't recommend it more.

Last edited: